User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Chillers and Shrimp Tanks

  1. #1
    SCAPE Member Just Planted tylergvolk's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2018
    Location
    Saint Paul
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Tyler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Chillers and Shrimp Tanks

    Hey, I wanting to start a caradina tank and I'm going to need to a good way to keep the tank cool.

    I figured that in So Cal chillers have to be a popular item...

    What size/type of chiller would you recommend for a 10-13g shirmp tank with a Eheim 2217?

    Was hopping to find some people here with some experience on the matter. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Water is Life 5000 posts, Officially addicted to SCAPE! Zenzu's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Cerritos
    Posts
    5,635
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Carlo
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In Socal we typically can get away with cooling fans.

  3. #3
    SCAPE Member Just Planted tylergvolk's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2018
    Location
    Saint Paul
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Tyler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenzu View Post
    In Socal we typically can get away with cooling fans.

    Cooling fans meaning your typical clamp on fan? How do you deal with evaporation then? Just top off every few days?

  4. #4
    SCAPE Member Just Planted Papa Smurf's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Tarzana
    Posts
    43
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Phillip
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a regular clamp on fan and have it connected to a temp contoller. That way the fan is only on when needed to drop the temp. For evaporation I let it go for a week until water change. I just drop my filter outflow a bit so it's not spraying water everywhere.

    Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Water is Life 5000 posts, Officially addicted to SCAPE! Zenzu's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Cerritos
    Posts
    5,635
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Carlo
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tylergvolk View Post
    Cooling fans meaning your typical clamp on fan? How do you deal with evaporation then? Just top off every few days?
    During the summer I would have drip set ups made from 1G drinking water jugs, air line tubing and a flow regulator. I would fill the jugs and drip cool water back in every night after work. Fans on one timer during the day, lights on another timer at night.

  6. #6
    SCAPE Member Just Planted tylergvolk's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2018
    Location
    Saint Paul
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Tyler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Smurf View Post
    I use a regular clamp on fan and have it connected to a temp contoller. That way the fan is only on when needed to drop the temp. For evaporation I let it go for a week until water change. I just drop my filter outflow a bit so it's not spraying water everywhere.

    Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk
    Great Idea!

  7. #7
    SCAPE Member Just Planted tylergvolk's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2018
    Location
    Saint Paul
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Tyler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenzu View Post
    During the summer I would have drip set ups made from 1G drinking water jugs, air line tubing and a flow regulator. I would fill the jugs and drip cool water back in every night after work. Fans on one timer during the day, lights on another timer at night.
    I like the 1g drip idea. Perfect. Thanks. guys.

  8. #8
    Moderator Pro SCAPEr Nick Shades's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Redlands, CA
    Posts
    1,797
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chillers are kind of a pain in the butt.

    They do a fantastic job, but you have to have a bit of extra plumbing, and a sump is almost always required depending on how reliable you want it to be.

    For tanks under 20 gallons, i highly recommend an ice probe.

    IceProbe Thermoelectric Aquarium Chiller - 4 in. x 4 3/4 in. x 7 1/2 in. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001JSVLBO..._OVG9Ab6V1HRFB

    I've never used one myself, but i hear they're pretty phenomenal.

    Just make it purchase a temperature controller with an outlet and a relay and you are set.

  9. #9
    Sergeant of Marines 3000 posts, Grand Master SCAPER John7429's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Fullerton, CA
    Posts
    3,384
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    John
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a fan somewhere available....

    You can get a hang on style chiller for about $120. Just a little more gets you a 1/15 artica



    New Tank Build Thread!


    Dont insult me with your low-balls


    Currently running: 270g monster fish, 180g monster fish, 180g planted (coming soon!), 90g community, 75g cichlid, 2x 7g planted, 6.7g planted, 2g planted, 2.5g opae

    Reptiles: 15+ turtles/tortoises

    Birds: 1x African grey, 2x double yellow headed amazons, 1x umbrella cockatoo, 1x sun conure

    1x dog

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •