Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vivarium/Terrarium/Paludarium Plants

Hey everyone. With my 20g long Iwagumi going through it's dry start for the next 7 weeks I figured I would take the time to start planning and working on my next project.
    I don't have much knowledge in Vivarium/Terrarium plants and was wondering if any of yous guys could help expand my horizons. The tank is going to be a 20g long with a glass lid for high humidity, going to have a diy waterfall, center front area will be the aquatic zone with land islands in the corners and sides. Tank will be BioActive.
    I know most aquatic plants will do well with the high humidity above the water, and I have begun growing out some plants emersed. So far I have some Crypt Flamingo, Crypt Wendtii Green, Anubias Nana, Mini Xmas Moss, S. Repens, A.R. Mini Variegated, Limnophila Aromatica 'Mini', some Bucephelandra, and some dwarf hairgrass. I'm not sure if I am going to use all of those, but I have them started at least.
    I'm looking for suggestions for some terrarium/vivarium plants for the land areas. Types of land moss, air plants, I've heard some types of orchids can be kept, or maybe carnivorous plants that will be safe to keep with land crabs?
    Thanks everyone.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk
    More Tanks!

Water is Life 5000 posts, Officially addicted to SCAPE! Zenzu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Carlo
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Browse the Dendro Forums, but I warn you... you're going down a slippery slope my friend. The upside is... You know how functional racks are and where to buy em cheap.... Wait is that an upside? Maybe...

3. Likes Sasquatch liked this post
    SCAPE Board Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr Kole85's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenzu View Post
    Browse the Dendro Forums, but I warn you... you're going down a slippery slope my friend. The upside is... You know how functional racks are and where to buy em cheap.... Wait is that an upside? Maybe...
    Lol, slippery slope? I'm afraid thats already happened.
    I saw that forum, but figured I'd ask here too. I also plan on picking yours' and John's brains on Saturday, lmao.

More Tanks!

Water is Life 5000 posts, Officially addicted to SCAPE! Zenzu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Carlo
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most plants are clustered into humidity ranges. Since what you can keep is mostly determined by humidity and light. You can find links to stores selling the plants that interest you and then browse care sheets for the humidity/light/ph info.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenzu View Post
    Most plants are clustered into humidity ranges. Since what you can keep is mostly determined by humidity and light. You can find links to stores selling the plants that interest you and then browse care sheets for the humidity/light/ph info.
    Nice, I know there's quite a bit of plants out there to choose from, just gotta do the research.
    Do you know if any of the carnivorous plants are harmful to crabs? I plan on putting crickets and what not in there here and there for the crabs, so some carnivorous plants might be cool. I just know absolutely nothing about them.

More Tanks!

SCAPE Member Sr. SCAPEr dealend's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    danny
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Bruce
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a mini waterfall in mine http://scapeclub.org/forum/showthrea...build-number-3

This was my first attempt and it turned out pretty good imo. I have some moss slurry left over and I'd be happy to bring you some at the mini meet. I tried a Venus fly trap in mine and it did well for a little while but ended up dying. Air plants seem to be pretty easy in this type of set up. I have a white ribbon in mine that is doing very well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    I have a mini waterfall in mine http://scapeclub.org/forum/showthrea...build-number-3

This was my first attempt and it turned out pretty good imo. I have some moss slurry left over and I'd be happy to bring you some at the mini meet. I tried a Venus fly trap in mine and it did well for a little while but ended up dying. Air plants seem to be pretty easy in this type of set up. I have a white ribbon in mine that is doing very well.
    How long is the moss slurry good for? I am still at least a couple weeks out from starting the build.

More Tanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Bruce
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kole85 View Post
    How long is the moss slurry good for? I am still at least a couple weeks out from starting the build.

From the info sheet they gave me it should be done for. But I have kept in my fridge and it still looks pretty good. It's worth a shot. Can't go wrong with free.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    From the info sheet they gave me it should be done for. But I have kept in my fridge and it still looks pretty good. It's worth a shot. Can't go wrong with free.
    Thats for sure. If anything I can put it on some sponge in my emersed set up to start growing it out. I really appreciate it. All my research about vampire and red devil crabs is pointing me to do a Borneo Biotope Vivarium with about 70% land. Luckily I have quite a few species of Bucephelandra and 2 species of crypts, gonna look for some more species of both and maybe some borneo orchids. That with the moss should give me a nice looking set up to start with. I'm sure I will be adding in plants as I find more that I like.

More Tanks!

SCAPE Member Just Planted ItsCRAYCRAY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Vy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey guys, just curious. Where did you get your vampire crabs? Also, which species did you get? I just got into the whole vivarium/paludarium thing too...girlfriend thinks I'm out of control lol

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Moderator Pro SCAPEr Nick Shades's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to get a larger tank for my son's ball python and fill it vivarium style.

All the herps fans prefer laboratory conditions, but I hate it. They are so boring.

But finding a biotope comparison for ballpythons is a pain in the ass
    Meh!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsCRAYCRAY View Post
    Hey guys, just curious. Where did you get your vampire crabs? Also, which species did you get? I just got into the whole vivarium/paludarium thing too...girlfriend thinks I'm out of control lol

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    I don't think anybody has vampire crabs right now. This is just for research for my future build for the lil guys. There's a couple facebook groups you can join and buy from the members there.

More Tanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Shades View Post
    I want to get a larger tank for my son's ball python and fill it vivarium style.

All the herps fans prefer laboratory conditions, but I hate it. They are so boring.

Meh!
    Hows this for a biotope? Wouldn't work for a python but maybe a corn snake? The beer bottle is classic!
    The second picture is just the top of the search page when I Googled "Ball Python Natural Habitat". Using that search might help lead you in the right direction for a biotope.

More Tanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Shades View Post

Meh!
    Also, pythons have been thriving and populating in the everglades in Florida. You could probably set up a decent biotope using plants native to that area.

More Tanks!