User Tag List

Thread: Shrimp keep dying. What's the deal?

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Bruce
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shrimp keep dying. What's the deal?

I have a 2.5g shrimp tank. All the parameters look good but I keep having shrimp die. From doing some research I thought I had pinned it down to bacteria so I bought something for that and used it on the tank. After "cleansing" the tank I put in 2 cherry red and an amano and they were dead within a week. The weird thing is I have an amano in the tank that has been there since the beginning, he didn't die like the rest and still remains alive after I thought I took care of the problem and the new shrimp died. He seems indestructible.

Anyone have some thoughts on what the issue might be and a course of correction?

SCAPE Member Sr. SCAPEr dealend's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    danny
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amano or Japanese Shrimp is one of the hardiest shrimp i've ever known/had. they can survive outside of the tank(no water) for long time.
    Cherry red should be one of the easiest shrimp to keep. Shrimp doesn't like ammonia and unstable water parameter.
    In my experience keeping shrimp for almost 2 years, highly Oxygenated tank will help them survive and breed, i checked them by seeing the small bubble(mist) inside the tank. 2nd is the water temperature.

3. Thanks Sasquatch thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Bruce
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I probably should have mentioned this is a planted tank and the plants seem to be doing extremely well. Which leads me to believe it is being oxygenated well.

SCAPE Member Sr. SCAPEr dealend's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    danny
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    I probably should have mentioned this is a planted tank and the plants seem to be doing extremely well. Which leads me to believe it is being oxygenated well.
    planted tank with CO2? how sure do you know you have well oxygenated tank? do you see any bubble mist? based on my understanding plants need CO2 to produce O2.
    Shrimp doesn't like CO2 although some people have some succeed with it, but it could be many factor in it.
    Last edited by dealend; 05-02-2018 at 02:25 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    KH
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    did you add any new plant or decoration to your tank? sometimes the plant could be treated with copper/chemicals or the decoration could be leaching chemicals.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Jim
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    are you using liquid co2? stop if you are
    what about temperature? do you have a heater in the tank?
    What kind of fertilizer are you using for your plants?
    When you do water changes how often and how much water are you replacing?
    How often are you feeding and do they eat all of the food?

Sorry for so many questions but there's a lot of unknown factors that could be causing them to die off.

SCAPE Board Member Pro SCAPEr Kole85's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How long has the tank been set up? Are you feeding the shrimp or just letting them eat biofilm in the tank? If the tank is newly set up you have to feed them because there wont be enough biofilm.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk
    More Tanks!

Sergeant of Marines 3000 posts, Grand Master SCAPER John7429's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    John
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He must be the problem. Lol

New Tank Build Thread!

Dont insult me with your low-balls

Currently running: 270g monster fish, 180g monster fish, 180g planted (coming soon!), 90g community, 75g cichlid, 2x 7g planted, 6.7g planted, 2g planted, 2.5g opae

Reptiles: 15+ turtles/tortoises, 1x uromastyx

Birds: 1x African grey, 2x double yellow headed amazons, 1x umbrella cockatoo, 1x sun conure

1x dog

10. Thanks Sasquatch thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Bruce
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dealend View Post
    planted tank with CO2? how sure do you know you have well oxygenated tank? do you see any bubble mist? based on my understanding plants need CO2 to produce O2.
    Shrimp doesn't like CO2 although some people have some succeed with it, but it could be many factor in it.
    No CO2. I have seen it pearl a little bit but not lately.

Quote Originally Posted by ykh View Post
    did you add any new plant or decoration to your tank? sometimes the plant could be treated with copper/chemicals or the decoration could be leaching chemicals.
    Nothing new except when I put the new shrimp in after treating it for bacteria.

Quote Originally Posted by jim532 View Post
    are you using liquid co2? stop if you are
    what about temperature? do you have a heater in the tank?
    What kind of fertilizer are you using for your plants?
    When you do water changes how often and how much water are you replacing?
    How often are you feeding and do they eat all of the food?
    Sorry for so many questions but there's a lot of unknown factors that could be causing them to die off.
    No CO2. I do have a heater in the tank. No fertz. Water changes about once a month and only do about 1/3. I feed very rarely.

Quote Originally Posted by Kole85 View Post
    How long has the tank been set up? Are you feeding the shrimp or just letting them eat biofilm in the tank? If the tank is newly set up you have to feed them because there wont be enough biofilm.

Tank has been set up for about 4 months. I feed them rarely and let the biofilm do the work.

Quote Originally Posted by John7429 View Post
    He must be the problem. Lol
    Most likely that is the problem. I'm a newb and learning as I go.

SCAPE Board Member Pro SCAPEr Kole85's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, when keeping shrimp you have to remember that shrimp are always grazing. Biofilm can sustain a small amount of shrimp for a short time, but a larger colony will wipe out the biofilm daily and will need to be fed. I feed my shrimp once a day, I just vary the food amounts based on the colony size.
    And you mention that you "treated" the tank for "bacteria", exactly what did you use/do? Shrimp are very sensitive to chemical and medications. Whatever you used could have had a small residual amount in the tank/substrate the didn't agree with the cherry shrimp. Amano shrimp are like roaches, I had some in a freshwater tank that is now brackish and they made the change with no issue.
    Also, whatever you used to wipeout whatever bacteria you had could have also wiped out all the biofilm leaving the shrimp with nothing to graze and could've possibly caused a mini cycle in your tank. You have to be careful when using something to treat bacteria in a tank because you can wipe out your beneficial bacteria colonies which help control your nitrogen cycle, even more so when treating a shrimp tank.
    Do a couple of heavy water changes over the next week or so to make sure any residual chemicals/treatments are out of the water, keep the amano in there and feed him tiny amounts of food to help build up your beneficial bacteria colony back up, and then try again with a couple more shrimp. Try only a couple so if they kick the bucket its not a hit to the wallet, and try to find some shrimp from someone who has been breeding them at home with good success. These are usually hardier shrimp and wont cost you as much as the pet stores, especially if you find someone getting rid of a couple of culls.
    If they end up dieing off again after that we may have to readdress the issue to find other causes, but I have a feeling it was the bacteria treatment that either affected the tank or affected the shrimp directly.

More Tanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Khai
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once you do some heavy water changes, I can give you some of my red culls to test out you like so it doesn't hurt the pocket too much.
    Dennerle Shrimp King - Bio Tase Active will create tons biofilm for the shrimps if you don't mind the tank looking a little messy. I can give you a sample to try as well, all you need is tiny pinch at time. I don't use it much now that my tanks has matured.
    I use RO water, not sure if you use tap or RO water.

Sergeant of Marines 3000 posts, Grand Master SCAPER John7429's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    John
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post

Most likely that is the problem. I'm a newb and learning as I go.
    I meant the suspicious survivor shrimp

New Tank Build Thread!

Dont insult me with your low-balls

Currently running: 270g monster fish, 180g monster fish, 180g planted (coming soon!), 90g community, 75g cichlid, 2x 7g planted, 6.7g planted, 2g planted, 2.5g opae

Reptiles: 15+ turtles/tortoises, 1x uromastyx

Birds: 1x African grey, 2x double yellow headed amazons, 1x umbrella cockatoo, 1x sun conure

1x dog

15. Likes swoof liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Bruce
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John7429 View Post
    I meant the suspicious survivor shrimp
    Haha. Didn't even think of that. What are you thinking?

SCAPE Member Sr. SCAPEr angeltre's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Angel
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My shrimp colony survives OC tap pretty well. Do a large water change and hit me up. I can donate 10 to the experiment.