Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kevin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apistogramma macmasteri

I saw a thread that some people have some on the forum. Anyone have success reproducing them? Thinking of getting a pair.

Water is Life Super Duper Master Scaper Zenzu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Carlo
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apisto are fairly easy to breed. You just need to culture foods.

3. Likes John7429 liked this post
    Sergeant of Marines 3000 posts, Grand Master SCAPER John7429's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    John
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not even that.... soft water does help tho

New Tank Build Thread!

Dont insult me with your low-balls

Currently running: 270g monster fish, 180g monster fish, 180g planted (coming soon!), 80g community, 2x 7g planted, 6.7g planted, 2g planted, 2.5g opae

Reptiles: 15+ turtles/tortoises, 1x Asian water monitor

Birds: 1x African grey, 2x double yellow headed amazons, 1x umbrella cockatoo, 1x sun conure

1x dog

SCAPE Member Just Planted kqchung's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kevin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was hoping someone local was able to reproduce them so I could get a pair from them

Sergeant of Marines 3000 posts, Grand Master SCAPER John7429's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    John
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kqchung View Post
    Was hoping someone local was able to reproduce them so I could get a pair from them
    Try COAST

New Tank Build Thread!

Dont insult me with your low-balls

Currently running: 270g monster fish, 180g monster fish, 180g planted (coming soon!), 80g community, 2x 7g planted, 6.7g planted, 2g planted, 2.5g opae

Reptiles: 15+ turtles/tortoises, 1x Asian water monitor

Birds: 1x African grey, 2x double yellow headed amazons, 1x umbrella cockatoo, 1x sun conure

1x dog

SCAPE Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr Bongox3's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Michael
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bobs tropical fish often carries em, you can often get lucky at petdotcom and of course, CK... online, check out apistodave... I purchase hongsloi from them, and am very happy....

Apistos, being now massively tank raised aren’t too sensitive... soft water, low ph 5 to mid 6 (even at times 7), dimmed areas, and they’ll be happy...I use only R/O water, but a breeder of triple reds at coast swears by tap...

For breeding, I’ve had success with a ton of leaf litter, live food, higher temps, and dither fish... leaf litter is very important as it provides a food source as it decays until the fry are able to take microworms or other micro organisms....

Not all apistos are blackwater, but all I’ve kept have appreciated tannin rich water... macmasteri come from various rivers in Columbia... Id google which rivers and check em out on you tube...for the Panduro apistogramma, I googled as much as possible on their natural habitat and mimicked it as much as possible... my females yellowed immediately, and I now have fry...

Lastly, apistos breed in both leaf litter, in small dugged pits, and/or small caves... they’ll be content with any of these... but try to provide all three. Some apistos, like my panduros, become very aggressive when ready to spawn (hyper aggressive once they have) so you may have to remove other tank mates, in particular, other apistos... tetras also are natorious for eating fry so they will be attacked.... with my pair, particular aggression was directed at bottom dwelling fish... I immediately had to remove my Pygmy corys and ottos once I saw they had spawned...

I can’t emphphasize enough to try and mimic their natural habitat... all apistos have awesome personalities- but you may not see how the truly behave and color up unless in true conditions...

Attached is a terrible pic of my female and her little ones...B00A6E0F-895C-4887-879D-BB25E7C31CFA.jpg

(Aggghhh sorry, just turn your head a bit to the side...)
    Last edited by Bongox3; 04-17-2018 at 05:50 PM.

8. Likes Aquaman liked this post