User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Reverse Dry Start?

  1. #1
    SCAPE Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr geektom's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Riverside, CA
    Posts
    1,207
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Tom Mays
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reverse Dry Start?

    Hey all. Starting to think about how I will plant the 150 later this year.

    Does anyone have any experience in taking plants from a submerged tank and into a DSM set up?

    Specifically I am thinking about my S. repens- I want to spread them out and get quite a large bed going in the 150.

    Any negative impact on the plants to go submerged to DSM to submerged again?

    Thanks!
    I am an old dog trying to learn some new tricks...

  2. Likes John7429 liked this post
  3. #2
    SCAPE Member Sr. SCAPEr dealend's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Monterey Park/Alhambra/San Gabriel
    Posts
    853
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    danny
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive done it. You just need to make sure there is enough humidity inside. I used sling wrap to cover the top with the light on.

  4. #3
    SCAPE Board Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr Kole85's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2017
    Location
    91762
    Posts
    1,320
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geektom View Post
    Hey all. Starting to think about how I will plant the 150 later this year.

    Does anyone have any experience in taking plants from a submerged tank and into a DSM set up?

    Specifically I am thinking about my S. repens- I want to spread them out and get quite a large bed going in the 150.

    Any negative impact on the plants to go submerged to DSM to submerged again?

    Thanks!
    I've done it Tom. Go down to home depot and get one of those plastic seed starting "greenhouses", theyre like $8. Put some organic potting soil in it and plant your S. Repens and put the cover on and add some light. Just like any dry start, open the lid and spray to keep everything moist and humid. You should be able to get the S. Repens to grow out nicely this way without taking up too much space right now. When you go to harvest you will have to rinse the soil out of the roots but you will have a nice root system when it comes time for the tank.

    Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk
    More Tanks!

  5. #4
    SCAPE Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr geektom's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Riverside, CA
    Posts
    1,207
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Tom Mays
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kole85 View Post
    I've done it Tom. Go down to home depot and get one of those plastic seed starting "greenhouses", theyre like $8. Put some organic potting soil in it and plant your S. Repens and put the cover on and add some light. Just like any dry start, open the lid and spray to keep everything moist and humid. You should be able to get the S. Repens to grow out nicely this way without taking up too much space right now. When you go to harvest you will have to rinse the soil out of the roots but you will have a nice root system when it comes time for the tank.

    Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk
    I didnít even think of starting them outside the big tank- interesting!
    I am an old dog trying to learn some new tricks...

  6. #5
    SCAPE Board Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr Kole85's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2017
    Location
    91762
    Posts
    1,320
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geektom View Post
    I didnít even think of starting them outside the big tank- interesting!
    Yes, this way you can start growing out the S. Repens before ever setting up the tank so you have a good amount to transfer over. Its a good way to grow out carpent plants too.

    Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk
    More Tanks!

  7. #6
    SCAPE Member Pro SCAPEr Nick Shades's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Redlands, CA
    Posts
    1,738
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as you keep your humidity very high, it will be fine.

    Give your plants a transition in floating at the top of a water column.

    Then bag them all for 24 hours right before you dsm.

    Then drop them in and spray every couple of hours. Stick a paper towel down at your lowest water collection point.

  8. #7
    Sergeant of Marines 3000 posts, Grand Master SCAPER John7429's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Fullerton, CA
    Posts
    3,368
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    John
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ezpz



    New Tank Build Thread!


    Dont insult me with your low-balls


    Currently running: 270g monster fish, 180g monster fish, 180g planted (coming soon!), 90g community, 75g cichlid, 2x 7g planted, 6.7g planted, 2g planted, 2.5g opae

    Reptiles: 15+ turtles/tortoises

    Birds: 1x African grey, 2x double yellow headed amazons, 1x umbrella cockatoo, 1x sun conure

    1x dog

  9. #8
    Water is Life 5000 posts, Officially addicted to SCAPE! Zenzu's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Cerritos
    Posts
    5,564
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Carlo
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's just growing aquatic plants emersed. I do it by accident(being lazy...) all the time.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •