Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ISO Nano Fish Feeder

Know of a fish feeder designed for nano fish? I feed Spectrum Small Fish Formula and only a small pinch per day for about 10 or so nano fish. Also got some shrimps which I feed crushed up Spectrum Algaemax.

The ones I can find online seem to be designed for feeding cichlids or goldfish. The one I am leaning towards is this one because you can control the size of the feeding hole. But, I fear it will dump too much pellets in one turn even at its smallest setting. But, I guess I could tape it up some more to limit the size of the feeding hole even more...

I have a glass top on my aquarium to minimize water evaporation. So, the aquarium's opening is limited to 1.5" by 10". So, there's some size limitation.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by etane; 03-16-2018 at 08:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am leaning towards this one.

Just have to modify the mouth intaking the fish food a bit to not take up too much small pellets at a time. Need two of these. One for my 22 gallon and another for my 2 gallon beta tank.

I read somewhere that fish can do fine without eating for 2 weeks. True?

SCAPE Board Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr Kole85's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont have experience with automatic feeders. I dont know about 2 weeks, maybe shrimp since they feed on the biofilm too. I've gone away for the weekend without feeding my fish with no problems.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Kole85; 03-17-2018 at 08:34 PM.
    More Tanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I am not too worried about a weekend. I've been away for up to 5 days without feeding before without any casualties. I might be gone for 9 days this time though... my tank is fairly new, so it won't support much biofilm... unless I start growing some infusoria or get some glassgarten.

Water is Life 5000 posts, Officially addicted to SCAPE! Zenzu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Carlo
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the longest time I did not feed my carbon rili in the garage. The tank was full like super packed with moss. You couldn't even tell shrimp were in there. I went without feeding them for a year and a half. Fish if kept healthy can easily go a week without food. They don't make nano fish feeders unfortunately, you're idea of modification sounds pretty solid. You'll have to cycle it a few times to get the opening properly set for the food amount you need, but it's totally doable it seems like you really have a knack for customization.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just another idea. What if I buried some adult gammarus aka scuds into the tank's sand bed? I never had live food before so dunno if this is a good idea. After some googling, i found some people experienced gammarus infestations, but those seem to be in shrimp-only tanks.

Not sure my nano fishes' mouth is large enough to eat an adult gammarus. So, they might have to wait for the off springs. And, think they reproduce often enough that the fishes won't starve. Out of all my fishes which consists of Sundadanios, brigitae rasboras and a single oto cocama, I think only the latter's mouth is big enough to eat an adult.

However, I plan to get some chocolate gouramis, and they're suppose love gammarus. So, it isn't such a bad idea to start a gammarus colony in my sand bed assuming I could?

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)