Thread: AquaMaxx 22G Long - Borneotopish: buces crypts sundadanios gouramis

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone know about this spray bar in this video?. Where does one get one of those? I guess I could contact that store...

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moved some stuff around. Removed the two rocks that were on the right side of the tank. Think they were leaching too much lime and raising my ph. I dropped a few cappata leaves and alder cones and my ph went up from 7.0 to 7.5? It must be the rocks...

Tried out that mister Zensu recommended.

Will do the coke bottle citric acid and baking soda co2 some time this week. Trying to get the crypts up to a good height before dumping in more fish. Also, will be upping the tannins.
    Last edited by etane; 03-12-2018 at 08:49 AM.

3. Likes ACalmADDFreak, swoof liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Added a spoonful of Fluval peat granules into a teabag and placed it in the canister yesterday. Slightly more tea tint. Might have to add a second bag to get to where I am trying to get. PH dropped from 7.5 to 7.4 yesterday evening.

Going to use this for about a month.

Using a Mame limewood air stone as diffuser.

Last edited by etane; 03-15-2018 at 03:32 PM.

SCAPE Member 5000 posts, Officially addicted to SCAPE! swoof's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ben
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As to your previous mention if chocolate gouramis, the August 2017 issue of Practical Fishkeeping (UK magazine) has a small write up on them.
    2016 Ride For Kids fund raiser

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swoof View Post
    As to your previous mention if chocolate gouramis, the August 2017 issue of Practical Fishkeeping (UK magazine) has a small write up on them.
    Thanks for the heads up. Did you happen to read it? The only place I found it has a pay wall...

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Found lots of CO2 bubbles trapped in surface film. So, tossed in a surface skimmer.

Basically just inverted the intake pipe and drilled a bunch of holes into it. I do lose a bit of water pressure this way. Maybe have to drill a few more holes into the pipe... next time.

Also, did a water change. Was ph 6.9 and tds 200. During wc I added another teaspoon and a half of fluval peat granules. About 8 hours later, ph is now about 6.1... I over did it.

I didn't want to drop the ph that drastically but wanted to increase the tannin tint. I guess the filter floss in the canister filter is doing it's job...

For lunch, my wife wanted to go to RH. I hate the driving there because the chinese food isn't *that* much better than those in Irvine. But, the food is much cheaper... but the silver lining is i did a pit stop at CK fish and picked up 3 chili rasboras to double my school from 3 to 6. And, picked up 3 shrimps that I don't think will make it past April.

I never have luck with Taiwan softwater Cardinas. But, now that my water is very soft, maybe *they* have a chance this time. Before, my water has always been 7.0 ph. Don't ask about Gh or Kh. I am too lazy to use the api water tester.

The shrimps I got are (2) regular CBS and (1) german pinto. They are drip acclimating now...

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Practicing some macro shots which seems to be my photo achilles heel. I am not sure whether it's my skill or it's my lack of optimal equipment selection. I am using a Kogaku 55mm Micro lens on A7II with Nikon lens adapter. Ideally, I think i should be using a 90mm 2.8 thinking Tamron which can be acquired for cheap on ebay now. But, haven't purchased one because the I feel it's a waste of money to invest in another lens just for taking pics of fish and shrimp and perhaps some plants.. maybe one day. But, anyhow, here's some of my new shrimps.

CBS

German pinto

Tigers

Note to self: generally used f16 1/60s 120iso. Edited on laptop because too lazy to go to my study.

Lastly, the shells don't seem as healthy as they do when seen at CK. Different lighting. Enlarged photo...

Water is Life 5000 posts, Officially addicted to SCAPE! Zenzu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Carlo
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Need an update! How is the tank working out? Any issues arise with maintainenace? How is the custom intake and outflow for the canister working out? I'm gonna be working on something soon and I am curious to hear your experience with the elbows you used. I may just buy a Chinese PC water cooling kit to play around with.

10. Thanks swoof thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My plants are slow growers even with co2 injection so not much to update. However, I haven't experienced any maintenance issues. The elbows are holding up just fine. The only issue which is an expected one is the pipes are stained with peat. I wouldn't say it's less attractive looking though. It takes away from that futuristic/glossy look which is a plus since this is supposed to be a biotope anyways.

BTW, I didn't get any auto food feeders, yet all my animals survived my 10 day vacation just fine.

12. Likes swoof liked this post