Real Name
    Ed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AquaMaxx 22G Long - Borneotopish: buces crypts sundadanios gouramis

Hello:

So, I am a refugee from another site whose somehwatfascist admin banned me and deleted my journal. That was about a year ago. I just dumped everything out of my tank last week and started on a re-scape and going to start documenting the process here. Below is stuff from my previous scape.

Prepping the tank

Prepping the lights

Prepping the scape

Laid down substrate

Dry start

Prepping grow light

Grow light installed

Tank filling

Tank filled

Artsy pic 1

Artsy pic 2

Artsy pic 3

I lost my cyanobacteria battle so decided to re-scape

Tank take down
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by etane; 02-21-2018 at 08:21 AM.

2. Likes Vin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    current state:

Goal now is to do a tope with hill stream to the right and calm water to the left. Will be installing a custom lily pipe output at right side of tank and shooting water at the rocks on the right. Want to see the crypts hudoroi which have since melted planted there sway with the current and floating just above those rocks. Designed this portion of the tank for gobies but don't think I will be getting them after all.

The left side should have slow moving water if I designed everything carefully which is designed for chocolate gouramis specifically Sphaerichthys osphromenoides. And, the middle of the tank is designed for shrimps, sundadanios and chili rasboras.

Left side of tank have some left over buces from my previous scape. I either tossed most of the plants due to BGA contamination or removed all the leaves that had the contamination. So, I am left with some very small buce morsels. Some of these buces that remain are grappa ghost, h. humulis, copi susu and black mist. And, I was able to salvage three blassi cordata crypt rhizomes. Behind the token buces are crypt wendtii brown which have all melted since the re-scape. Oh, the tall one on the left is schismataglottis roseopahta.

The middle of the tank has skeleton king emersed, Red cherry glued to the back of the rocks and a clump of grappa ghost at the front of the rock.

On another note, I soaked all the plants in chemiclean and alum for a few days before planting them back into the tank. The chemiclean no longer has effect on the bga I have but used them as insurance. The alum is for bladder snails that snuck into my tank from one of the plants. Turns out, alum kills bga. And, it seems alum is fish safe at least according to site with content claiming alum is safe to use in ponds when treating bga.
    Last edited by etane; 02-12-2018 at 09:27 PM.

4. Likes HarvestMoon, Bongox3 liked this post
    Water is Life 5000 posts, Officially addicted to SCAPE! Zenzu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Carlo
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hilarious he "banned" me years back because I called him a ****. Starts with an N. Word for German war fanatic from the 1930s - mid 40's.

Diggin the slot shelving for your light hangar + extra toom for pico/micro tanks up top. The hardscape looks nice, overall pleasing tank! Welcome back to scape!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenzu View Post
    Hilarious he "banned" me years back because I called him a ****. Starts with an N. Word for German war fanatic from the 1930s - mid 40's.

Diggin the slot shelving for your light hangar + extra toom for pico/micro tanks up top. The hardscape looks nice, overall pleasing tank! Welcome back to scape!
    it's good to be back, uber duper mensch scaper der wasser

SCAPE Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr Bongox3's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Michael
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like SCAPES got another pro! The Reich’s loss is our gain! Welcome and nice looking tank... look forward to seeing your progress.

8. Likes jem_xxiii, etane liked this post
    SCAPE Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr Kole85's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome looking tank, should look as amazing as it progresses.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

10. Thanks etane thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Custom lily pipes in the works. I don't recommend doing this.

SCAPE Member Jr. SCAPEr Suedehead92's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ernie Ramos
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tank is looking great! liking the lily pipe!

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

13. Thanks etane thanked for this post
    SCAPE Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr jem_xxiii's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Johnny
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome back to SCAPE! Loving the size of thank.
    [ Bucephalandra Fiend | My 8g Buce Tank ]

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Done for now...

http://etane.net/wp-content/uploads/...018-02-191.mp4

Above video is actually the 5th or 6th iteration. Too tired and lazy to show step by step. Sorry. I am not done yet.

But, need a hard stop for now.

Took weeks for me to get the parts I ordered to come in. In the mean time, most my crypts and buces decided to melt. So, my tank looks very barren. The crypts will grow back. the 4" tall wendtii at the left have new growth that are about 1/3" now. And, hudoroi at the right which were about 6" have about an inch growth already. The buces' rhizomes melted so are probably goners.

Ordered some more buces which will come in later this week. Then, will put final touches to this probably this coming weekend.
    Last edited by etane; 02-19-2018 at 08:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Carlo
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like it worked. I see water movement on the right side, but the left is still calm. I like the T drip you made as well. Very cool tank, way to think outside the box man.

18. Thanks etane thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Bruce
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool! I'm still pretty new to all this stuff but I have this yearning to do a long for some reason.

20. Thanks etane thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some thoughts:

1) All clear rigid tubing are 5/8". Moved up from 1/2" tubing thinking the longer run will do better with larger tubing for both flow and aesthetics. All tubing are cut with this.

1a) I purchased these acrylic tubes to find out they are very difficult to cut before learning about PETG tubes.

2) Filter is an Eheim 2236 which uses 1/2" hoses. So, had to use this hose adapter. And, all connections are locked down with these.

2a) I tried to avoid hose adapters by purchasing what turns out to be a pair of Eheim Pro 4+ 250s which use 5/8" hoses natively. But, both units I got has some flaws, so both are going back and now have to go back to the 2236.

3) I wish I scaped this slightly different. The water level is this low to accommodate the dark skeleton king which doesn't do well submersed. However, I wish the water level is at least an inch higher. This means I should have somehow stacked the middle rocks a bit taller. But, I didn't want to add more stones and like the way those stones look the way they are. The main reason I want a higher water level is so I could stock more fish. At this water level, I am maybe only touching 8 gallons as the tank is 22 gallon.

4) I threw away everything except a few plants from my previous scape including all the filtering media which are eheim sintured balls. They were thrown away to evade BGA contamination. So, inside the 2236's media basket has all new sintured balls except for a small handful of matured ones I took from my betta tank. So, the tank has some cycled media but poured in a small bottle of Tim's One and Only just in case about 8 hours ago. And, after reading the instruction about an hour ago, I learned the One and Only encourage to not use fishless cycle. So, I added a single boraras and a single tiger shrimp into the tank.

5) After adding a couple of livestock, I realized the flow in the tank is a lot stronger than it looks. As zenzu pointed out above, the water looks relatively calm at the left size of the tank. That's actually by design as the rocks and plants should have created a barrier to slow down the water flow at the left side of the tank. But, despite how calm the water looks, the borara had a difficult time staying still with the current. I had to dial back the canister filter's flow half way. I suppose I could open up the flow again after the crypts grow back.

6) Substrate is a bag of dark flourite covered by an 8 lb bag of ADA La Plata. I was talking to a fellow scaper the other day. He asked whether the substrates will mix together. The answer is no unless you do a lot of rescaping like I did these past few days. However, the flourite is heavier than the sand except for a few very tiny pieces of flourite. So, it's easy to push the flourite to the bottom with your fingers. And, in certain patches where it's difficult to push down, just cover that area up with more sand after you're done scaping.

7) I have a piece of acrylic with suction cups at the right of the tank. It's supposed to be a simulated shore line. Am thinking of populating that piece of acrylic with some flourite then some stones and grow some buce and moss there. But, I am having second thoughts. The piece of acrylic I found is deeper than I'd like. And, I don't think I have the ability to cut it cleanly with the hacksaw I got from HD.

8) Originally, I bought hundreds of dollars worth of PC watercooling parts off amazon as I refuse to bend rigid tubing myself as I don't trust my ability to make clean and straight bends. On a whim, I purchased these cheapie PVC elbows. And, turns out, they are much better to use than the watercooling parts. These have a much tighter hold and much lighter than the metal counterparts, so they are less likely to fall apart against it's own weight. The tubing with metal parts does put weight upon itself and is only held together by compression/friction. So, they are all going back to amazon who fortunately has a very lenient return policy.

8a) The PC watercooling bits states they are brass, nickel or chrome whatever they are finished with. But, the inside do look **** copperish. So, on the safe side, it's probabily better to avoid using these if you keep inverts. The few bits I am using are made mainly of acrylic and this include 4 way splitters and stop plugs. A few pieces I am using that are made of metal are 16mm compression connectors and a ball valve. I see no copper looking metal on these bits. Whatever is touching water looks to be stainless steel on these bits.

9) Another fortunate find are these tube stoppers. When I first received these, I was disappointed because I couldn't get these onto the end of my tubing. The diameter seemed too large. So, I had to find another tube stopping solution. The PC watercooling solution would've been expensive and, again, heavy. Yesterday, I got frustrated and took one of these plastic ends and forced it into a tube successfully. All I had to do is slam the end of the tube against a hard surface as hard as I could to force the plastic tube stopper into the tube. Then, viola, a clean and cheap tube stopping solution.

10) Eventually plan to add some almond leaves to add some tannins and to lower the PH somewhat. This is supposed to be a borneo rainforest tope so... and the livestock I have and want should do better with slightly acidic water.

11) Waiting for my tank to mature beneficial bacteria wise and also plant growth wise so I could pick up some Chocolate Gouramis. However, I am still hesistant as before mentioned my water level isn't very high hence limiting water volume. And, this might make it necessary to increase water change frequency if I were to add more livestock. But, maybe 3 or 4 of these Gouramis won't hurt. They seem to have very little bioload. Maybe after a month.

12) I am not too sure about my lights at the moment as they are not the typical 6500 kelvin spectrum. The " diamond white" light is provided by a pair of Truelumens which are 12k kelvin. Not sure that is good for plants. But, I've since supplemented these lights with some hydroponic grow lights. I am thinking of getting an UNF Flatone or a MicMol Aqua Air.
    Last edited by etane; 02-20-2018 at 11:59 AM.

SCAPE Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr Bongox3's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Michael
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ed, that has got to be the most creative system I have seen... extremely impressive! I’m no where near your level, so all I can contribute is, “wow!”

23. Thanks etane thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Carlo
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would shy away from anything brass/copper both contain lead and other contaminates that can leach. That pvc elbow is a much better choice. What other fish are native that you plan to add? You should totally do the shoreline, but yeah cutting acrylic will require a post sanding, smoothing and polish to make it look presentable. Flatone is a beautiful fixture, but jeebus $500 for lighting on a tank that you can get away with low/medium lighting on, there has to be other aesthetically pleasing fixtures available that won't hit the wallet so hard.

25. Thanks etane thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenzu View Post
    I would shy away from anything brass/copper both contain lead and other contaminates that can leach. That pvc elbow is a much better choice. What other fish are native that you plan to add? You should totally do the shoreline, but yeah cutting acrylic will require a post sanding, smoothing and polish to make it look presentable. Flatone is a beautiful fixture, but jeebus $500 for lighting on a tank that you can get away with low/medium lighting on, there has to be other aesthetically pleasing fixtures available that won't hit the wallet so hard.
    Yah the PVC elbows works better than the PC watercooling parts in both form and function. I plan to lock it down with this.

I will attempt to cut the acrylic over the weekend. I got a cutter coming. And, I got some 150 and 350 sandpaper lying around. I saw this and am going to try to replicate.

Fish wise, I got 6 red sundadanios, 4 blue, and 4 briggitaes. I want to add these. I am not sure why the site specifies the fish requires 30 gallons...

Shrimp wise, I got a bunch of amanos and tiger. My hope is to get a tangerine and a prl to mate... but I have bad luck with these types of shrimps.

Light wise, I am also looking at some cheap LED floodlights such as this and this.. The latter is a bit pricy but those can be controlled via android app. Hence, I could go without timer and can dial in both color and intensity. I really like the way the first one looks. But, not sure those would work with dimmer and those are bare wire. Not that hard to deal with but is a bit of a hassle dealing with home brew connectors.

SCAPE Member Sr. SCAPEr angeltre's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Angel
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right on with the tank. Looks great. And you and Carlo have similar plant growing music.

28. Thanks etane thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by angeltre View Post
    Right on with the tank. Looks great. And you and Carlo have similar plant growing music.
    robert plant music?

SCAPE Member 5000 posts, Officially addicted to SCAPE! swoof's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ben
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be careful with chocolate gourami they usually do better with a more Blackwater low flow set up.
    2016 Ride For Kids fund raiser