Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Sonny
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Giant Amanos

Dropped by Cerrito's Petco today and saw giant amano shrimps, I think they were at least 1-1.5 inches. Never seen such giant amanos. It's $4 each so I didn't get any.

Question: Are older/larger amanos more efficient than the younger ones?

Water is Life 5000 posts, Officially addicted to SCAPE! Zenzu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Carlo
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CK had some monster 2" Amano many years back. I bought like 10 of em for $2 a piece, after a week I had 3. I kept finding them on the floor most of the time alive and crawling around, I kept chucking them back in. eventually I added a lid to my 40G tank. They were beast at cleaning algae and stealing shrimp food from my Super Tigers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Bruce
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just had an amano jump out of my cube today. Never had that before.

Not sure to the OP's question. I would think not. I suppose bigger ones could eat more.

Was at the Reef the other day and saw something I have never seen before. I believe the name was giant wood shrimp. About 2 inches long. Looked almost like a praying mantis. They were huge!

SCAPE Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr Bongox3's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Michael
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My larger amano shrimp surprised me at how omnivorous they can be... they often snatch live food intended for fish in my tank...both large and small do great clean up work...

Bruce, I think the shrimp youre describing are “filter feeders”... they are very cool, but do nothing towards algae... I had a few, but my dwarf cichlids took an interest in them... it wasn’t pretty... Natilus had a few as well (at least a few weeks ago)...

SCAPE Member Jr. SCAPEr Gredival's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Chris
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenzu View Post
    CK had some monster 2" Amano many years back. I bought like 10 of em for $2 a piece, after a week I had 3. I kept finding them on the floor most of the time alive and crawling around, I kept chucking them back in. eventually I added a lid to my 40G tank. They were beast at cleaning algae and stealing shrimp food from my Super Tigers.
    When I first got back into the hobby a few years back I had a 3G betta tank with a lid, but it had a space in the corner where the filter (air-pump driven) was supposed to go. My betta's amano buddies kept climbing up the airline tubing to escape through the filter space so that they could go carpet surfing... (I tried covering it in numerous ways but it usually led to water leakage)

SCAPE Member SCAPEr PhoKingGood's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Sonny
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Few months ago, I couldn't find my amano in my tank. Later on, while cleaning under the sofa, I saw him but it was too late . They are such explorers.
    My amano always take the algae waffle and run, he's a bully when it comes to feeding time.

SCAPE Member SCAPEr PhoKingGood's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Sonny
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Just had an amano jump out of my cube today. Never had that before.

Not sure to the OP's question. I would think not. I suppose bigger ones could eat more.

Was at the Reef the other day and saw something I have never seen before. I believe the name was giant wood shrimp. About 2 inches long. Looked almost like a praying mantis. They were huge!
    They're also called bamboo shrimp. They're one of my favorite shrimp since you can really see them use their filter hands and eat all day.

8. Likes Sasquatch, KittyKitsch liked this post
    Water is Life 5000 posts, Officially addicted to SCAPE! Zenzu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Carlo
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gredival View Post
    When I first got back into the hobby a few years back I had a 3G betta tank with a lid, but it had a space in the corner where the filter (air-pump driven) was supposed to go. My betta's amano buddies kept climbing up the airline tubing to escape through the filter space so that they could go carpet surfing... (I tried covering it in numerous ways but it usually led to water leakage)
    I had a canister running and had to trim that plastic spacer attached to a glass lid with an exacto knife so that there was less than a millimeter room for error when the inflow/outflow of the canister to fit through and added a tiny notch for the heater cord. Amano man, they are some strange shrimp.

SCAPE Member SCAPEr KittyKitsch's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nicole
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a couple amanos last year for my Livebearer tank and eventually found each one dried up in my hallway(pretty far from the tank). Until now I've been suspecting my cat of homicide, now I'm thinking it was suicide... I didn't realize what escape artists they are, before then I only kept a single amano for about 5 years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Bruce
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoKingGood View Post
    They're also called bamboo shrimp. They're one of my favorite shrimp since you can really see them use their filter hands and eat all day.

That's them! They are pretty cool.