Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Youn
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Store bought shrimp dying

I've typically just kept regular RCSs without issues in tap water. Figured I'd give some fancier ones a try. I bought 4 shrimp from CK on two separate trips, and 3/4 of them are dead within a few days of introducing into my tanks. Is this normal with soft/RO water-kept store shrimp when you bring them into your tap water tanks? My tap is close to pH 8.

I tried 2 tiger shrimps that died within 2 days in my established shrimp tank. I thought it was the temperature because I keep it at 78F. Then, I tried two fire reds, and one of them died after 4 days. The other one is going about doing shrimp things. I even drip acclimated the fire red over several hours.

Now I have a cycled 10g that I'm keeping at 72F to give CRS and CBS a try, but wondering if it was bad luck, the norm, or something I messed up?
    Last edited by lake_tuna; 11-29-2017 at 01:19 PM.

2. Thanks SamSam563 thanked for this post
    Moderator 2000 posts, Star SCAPEr Nick Shades's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It truly depends on the species.

With ornamental shrimp within the cantonensis species, they will not adjust well to a quick change in their water environment. They must 1) be acclimated slowly to new water conditions, and 2) be kept within am environment range within the acceptable parameters for their species.

That being said, most ornamental shrimp CAN be kept in TREATED tap water, so long as you adjust them to the new water very slowly, and also make sure your tap water is appropriate for them.

Inverts are extemely intolerant of copper, some more than others, and you should test for copper in anything that is not RO/DI/distilled.

Additionally, you should always check your TDS and alkalinity when keeping shrimp.

4. Thanks SamSam563 thanked for this post
    Likes SamSam563 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, when keeping ornamental shrimp, it is fine to "test the water" with one or two, but for true success in keeping ornamental shrimp, you will need to start with at least 7 to insure the proper ratio of males to females.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Chris
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've kept a bunch of Fire Reds from CK fish world without a problem just doing drip acclimation, but I had bad luck last week trying Blue Dreams during the Black Friday sale and lost half of them. Peter replaced them for me but warned me that blues are more fragile since it's a more bred-out line so they were probably having difficulty adjusting from his RO water with buffered soil to my treated tap.

I acclimated much more slowly and didn't lose any of the replacements.

I tried crystals a long time ago and that was an utter failure for me without doing RO.

SCAPE Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr sc91006's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Sidney
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like your water parameter isn't ideal for keeping the more sensitive species of ornamental shrimps. I was there at CK for the BF sale and got some Blue Bolts, Wine Reds, yellows and those CRS. So far all are doing well. I have 3 separate tanks, I only use remineralized RO water and keep temps from 74 - 77. I use HOB and sponge filters and all tanks have been running for over 1 year.

I think you should consider slowly switching to remineralized RO water if you can.

BTW, in my experience Tigers are the most sensitive. Every time I tried them, they don't last for more than a few weeks to a few months.

Pew Pew Lazor 5000 posts, Officially addicted to SCAPE! Zenzu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    BUCK
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sc91006 View Post
    Sounds like your water parameter isn't ideal for keeping the more sensitive species of ornamental shrimps. I was there at CK for the BF sale and got some Blue Bolts, Wine Reds, yellows and those CRS. So far all are doing well. I have 3 separate tanks, I only use remineralized RO water and keep temps from 74 - 77. I use HOB and sponge filters and all tanks have been running for over 1 year.

I think you should consider slowly switching to remineralized RO water if you can.

BTW, in my experience Tigers are the most sensitive. Every time I tried them, they don't last for more than a few weeks to a few months.
    Tigers prefer harder water however they are more hardy than CRS/TB but succeptible to bacterial infections and should be kept in colder temps. I recently bought tigers from CK at the meeting, threw them into Lower CRS/TB parameters. Mine also kicked the bucket overnight, The CRS I bought in Auction... one died the rest are berried.

I have had Tigers from CK previously during the super tiger craze 2013?? and they did perfectly fine. I assume that the TB tank was too low PH and GH for the tigers and I no longer drip acclimate. I just did not have anywhere else to put them and purchased on impulse. I also had an OEBT tank that was successful until 2015 heatwave. I kept them in aged tap tank was set up for over a year before introducing shrimp. I started with 10, I sold at least 200 and I had 300+ before the heatwave. Then 90+ temps random as heck in Feb(did not have my fan hooked up), caused a bacterial infection and wiped em out... Now the only shrimp I really want are super tigers and oebt. Rare to find them locally anymore.
    THE CAKE IS A LIE!

SCAPE Board Member Pro SCAPEr Kole85's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Caridina shrimp are harder to keep (crystal reds, crystal blacks, tigers, taiwan bees, pintos, etc). They require soft water, ph around 6.5-7 with a TDS usually around 150-170. Neocaridina species should be fine in treated tap water (red cherries, blue dream, blue velvet, blue diamond, bloody mary, etc.). I am able to keep caridina shrimp in my tap water but I have really good tap water here in Ontario. You will need to test your TDS, GH, and KH to see whether or not your tap water is safe for caridina. Most likely you will need to use RO water and remineralize it.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk
    More Tanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kole85 View Post
    Caridina shrimp are harder to keep (crystal reds, crystal blacks, tigers, taiwan bees, pintos, etc). They require soft water, ph around 6.5-7 with a TDS usually around 150-170. Neocaridina species should be fine in treated tap water (red cherries, blue dream, blue velvet, blue diamond, bloody mary, etc.). I am able to keep caridina shrimp in my tap water but I have really good tap water here in Ontario. You will need to test your TDS, GH, and KH to see whether or not your tap water is safe for caridina. Most likely you will need to use RO water and remineralize it.

You mean cantonensis. Both heteropoda and cantonensis are neocaridina (non larval, high order shrimp), and the distinction between the two SPECIES are the translucency of heteropoda/david and the opaque of cantonensis shells.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Shades View Post
    You mean cantonensis. Both heteropoda and cantonensis are neocaridina (non larval, high order shrimp), and the distinction between the two SPECIES are the translucency of heteropoda/david and the opaque of cantonensis shells.
    Hes not just talking about neocaridina species though. Yes there are different genus' of both neocaridina and caridina, but in general neocaridina are your "plug and play" shrimp that are very forgiving and hardy. Caridina, like the tigers and crystal reds he talked about, require very different water parameters. Tigers are the more forgiving of the caridina species, they can survive in higher PH and slightly higher TDS.

More Tanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woah. My mind is blown right now. For years, i always thought that cantonensis and heteropoda/davidi were in the same genus, and their prime distinction in being atyid species between low order shrimp (previously, all thought by myself as the broad caridina genus) and themselves was that lack of larval stage.

Mind blown.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    BUCK
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woah. My mind is blown right now. For years, i always thought that cantonensis and heteropoda/davidi were in the same genus, and their prime distinction in being atyid species between low order shrimp (previously, all thought by myself as the broad caridina genus) and themselves was that lack of larval stage.

Mind blown.

Caridina and Neocaridina
    THE CAKE IS A LIE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right. I always thought they were both in genus neocaridina. I have read books that say as such.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Chris
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenzu View Post
    d I no longer drip acclimate. .
    Curiously what's your procedure for adding new shrimp, just temp adjustment and release?

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mind blown.
    Pretty sure the only freshwater shrimp in the hobby with a larva stage is Amano shrimp, which is technically a caridina but kinda like a roach, very hard to kill. The offspring of Neocaridina and the other Caridina's are fully formed "miniature" versions of full grown shrimp.

More Tanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You would be surprised.

Bamboo shrimp, ghost shrimp, etc. Amano require estuary conditions during larval stage. There are many.

18. Likes SamSam563 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    BUCK
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gredival View Post
    Curiously what's your procedure for adding new shrimp, just temp adjustment and release?
    Exactly that, float the bag open and let some water in leave an opening let the shrimp swim out as they please, dump any stragglers after a few minutes. Except the case of the auction crs I just dumped em in they came in a container, could not float it. I just added a bit of tank water and then tipped it. Tank was in range for TB/CRS they were in temp swings all day from being at the auction.
    THE CAKE IS A LIE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    BUCK
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You would be surprised.

Bamboo shrimp, ghost shrimp, etc. Amano require estuary conditions during larval stage. There are many.
    Red claw macros, Vampire shrimp...
    THE CAKE IS A LIE!