User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 52 of 52

Thread: 10 gallon Dragonstone Tank

  1. #41
    SCAPE Member SCAPEr KeyeNewen's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Orange
    Posts
    295
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Khai
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Close up of the shrimps. Just wanted to share, the colors of the shells looks great. Colony is doing great in this tank, considering I change about 50% water every week and dose EI daily.




  2. #42
    SCAPE Member SCAPEr regormang's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2018
    Location
    US
    Posts
    354
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    roger
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those shrimp are looking good khai! Working on my colony too.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Excuse me while I return to my forest

  3. #43
    SCAPE Member SCAPEr KeyeNewen's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Orange
    Posts
    295
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Khai
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's awesome Roger, shrimp & tank looking good!
    I see the blyxa jap in the back

  4. #44
    SCAPE Member SCAPEr KeyeNewen's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Orange
    Posts
    295
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Khai
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)




  5. #45
    SCAPE Member 5000 posts, Officially addicted to SCAPE! swoof's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Upland
    Posts
    5,362
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ben
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the rework of the scape, very nice.

  6. #46
    SCAPE Member SCAPEr KeyeNewen's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Orange
    Posts
    295
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Khai
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Ben. The Blyxa has really nice bronze tones and flowering bud stems. Hopefully it will bloom one day. Red Downoi are pretty interesting, want to increase light intensity to see if it get redder, but haven't yet. Afraid of algae outbreak.

  7. #47
    SCAPE Member SCAPEr KeyeNewen's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Orange
    Posts
    295
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Khai
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been a while since I update this tank. Life has kept me occupied with everything going on, I neglected this tank badly. I didn't put any effort into keeping up the tank so blyxa got out of hand. All the rocks were full of algae, tank just looked like a hot mess. My rash attempt to clean up the tank by removing all blyxa ending up killing most of the livestock. The blyxa root system was completely wrapped into the soil and power sand. While removing the blyxa, I probably removed more than half the soil/power sand in those section as well. Lost most of the Bloody Mary shrimps, lost almost all of my Galaxy Rasboras. All the ADA power sand was completely exposed. What an eyesore. White specs of rocks everywhere. I would NOT recommend using power sand if you have plants with deep roots or like to move things around in the tank.

    I just couldn't stand looking at the tank any longer, it was due to a clean up. I removed all the algae covered dragonstones. Took out all the Red Downoi. Left the dwarf baby tears carpet alone.
    I ended up tanking some cycled ADA powder soil from one of my garage tanks and covered up all the exposed power sand. Did almost a 70% water change. Took time to separate all the Red Downoi clumps in the tanks to individual plants. Added some white ludwigia, AR variegated and am using some Myriophyllum SP Mini Guyana as a place holder for now. Originally left a couple blyxa in the tank but removed it the next day. I like the way it looks but man it can take over a tank. Did another 50% water change the next day just to try and remove any ammonia from the addition of soil. Hoping to have the shrimp population bounce back prior to adding more Galaxy Rasboras to my current 5 remaining survivors. Below before and after pictures. Thanks for looking!





  8. Likes stormvisions liked this post
  9. #48
    SCAPE Member Pro SCAPEr geektom's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Riverside, CA
    Posts
    1,536
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Tom Mays
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! What a turnaround- new layout looks fantastic! And I am totally jealous over that gorgeous red downoi!
    I am an old dog trying to learn some new tricks...

  10. #49
    SCAPE Member SCAPEr KeyeNewen's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Orange
    Posts
    295
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Khai
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Tom!
    I really like the red downoi too.
    That is one of the reasons my tank became a mess too I think.
    Originally had the light at a lower settings so the red downoi wasn't getting any red growth, just regular green growth. So SMART me, read somewhere on the interweb to dose more Iron. I I bought Seachem Iron, I probably poisoned a bunch of my shrimps due to the overdose (was dosing up to 3x a week alongside my Micro fert dosing days). After reading up on more Iron not really helping with red but it is light intensity that brings out the red. So I stopped the dosing iron, cranked up the light intensity. and cranked up CO2. Plants all did better, baby dwarf tears started pearling more grew really quickly, red downoi got more pink, blyxa went gangbuster. BUT... the rocks suffered. Yanking the blyxa first then the rocks sealed the fate of the rest of my shrimps and galaxy rasboras. The remaining livestock is definitely tough. Shrimp are berried again, hoping to see the colony recover in the coming months. I have a hunch my galaxy rasboras are picking off the baby shrimps as well. Their belly is always so full looking, color is amazing. I only feed a tiny bit of micro pellets once a day. They come up to eat, but not like before when I first got them- they fought over the food. Now they kinda eat, so I continually put less and less pellets in at each feeding. They're always weaving their way around the red downoi as if they're hunting. They come out to "look" at me for bit and they go right back to weaving through the red downoi. Very cool to watch.

    Quote Originally Posted by geektom View Post
    Wow! What a turnaround- new layout looks fantastic! And I am totally jealous over that gorgeous red downoi!

  11. #50
    SCAPE Board Member Pro SCAPEr Kole85's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2017
    Location
    91762
    Posts
    1,866
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KeyeNewen View Post
    Thanks Tom!
    I really like the red downoi too.
    That is one of the reasons my tank became a mess too I think.
    Originally had the light at a lower settings so the red downoi wasn't getting any red growth, just regular green growth. So SMART me, read somewhere on the interweb to dose more Iron. I I bought Seachem Iron, I probably poisoned a bunch of my shrimps due to the overdose (was dosing up to 3x a week alongside my Micro fert dosing days). After reading up on more Iron not really helping with red but it is light intensity that brings out the red. So I stopped the dosing iron, cranked up the light intensity. and cranked up CO2. Plants all did better, baby dwarf tears started pearling more grew really quickly, red downoi got more pink, blyxa went gangbuster. BUT... the rocks suffered. Yanking the blyxa first then the rocks sealed the fate of the rest of my shrimps and galaxy rasboras. The remaining livestock is definitely tough. Shrimp are berried again, hoping to see the colony recover in the coming months. I have a hunch my galaxy rasboras are picking off the baby shrimps as well. Their belly is always so full looking, color is amazing. I only feed a tiny bit of micro pellets once a day. They come up to eat, but not like before when I first got them- they fought over the food. Now they kinda eat, so I continually put less and less pellets in at each feeding. They're always weaving their way around the red downoi as if they're hunting. They come out to "look" at me for bit and they go right back to weaving through the red downoi. Very cool to watch.
    The tank is looking good.
    I have never heard of anyone having issues with Iron killing livestock or causing algae. I used to dose over 20ml a week on a 40breeder dutch, never lost any shrimp or livestock from Iron dosing. Shrimp are senstive to Copper, which is why you want micro ferts safe for shrimp.
    It is true however, that most plants take in nutrients from their roots at the substrate, which the types of plants you have use. The amount of iron your plants can absorb and use is related to light intensity, duration, and co2 levels. The higher your co2, the more iron the plants can use (which is why most Dutch aquascapes have the co2 blasting). If you want to see pictured proof of what Iron can do to plants in addition to light intensity and co2, take a look at some of Zenzu's past threads. He is an algae and tank balance master lol. He doses using dry ferts and doses Iron, and he also goes so far as to soak Iron nails in water until they rust and adds a small amount of that water to his tanks, the color he achieves on some of his plants is phenomenal.
    I have a feeling that turning up your co2 might have been what is fixing the issue, increasing the light doesn't hurt though too lol. You can kill of algae with higher co2 levels, but most try to stay in whats considered a "comfortable" range for livestock. Your doing the right thing though to battle the issues your dealing with. Reset the tank with water changes and change dosing regimine to find your balance. You might want to lightly dose a small amount of iron (i always start at 1/4 the recommended dose on ANY nutrients and increase from there, better to have too little than too much) and see what it does to your plants with the higher co2 and light intensity.

    Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
    More Tanks!

  12. #51
    SCAPE Member SCAPEr KeyeNewen's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Orange
    Posts
    295
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Khai
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Kole!
    Carlo definitely has some skillz NO DOUBT!
    Yeah, I figured I start back to basic to see how the plants colors up first. I'm getting some pretty nice tiny pink tops on the white ludwigia too.
    I wouldn't say Iron was the only thing killing my shrimps probably the first of many mis-steps. I didn't notice at the beginning but the shrimps did start to hide more and were becoming more lethargic. The Blyxa removal was the most damage for sure. Roots dragging up soil/crap... it was horrible. Shrimp are finally more comfortable again, out and about, probably because they don't have mountains of algae rocks to feast on anymore.

  13. #52
    SCAPE Board Member Pro SCAPEr Kole85's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2017
    Location
    91762
    Posts
    1,866
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KeyeNewen View Post
    Thank you Kole!
    Carlo definitely has some skillz NO DOUBT!
    Yeah, I figured I start back to basic to see how the plants colors up first. I'm getting some pretty nice tiny pink tops on the white ludwigia too.
    I wouldn't say Iron was the only thing killing my shrimps probably the first of many mis-steps. I didn't notice at the beginning but the shrimps did start to hide more and were becoming more lethargic. The Blyxa removal was the most damage for sure. Roots dragging up soil/crap... it was horrible. Shrimp are finally more comfortable again, out and about, probably because they don't have mountains of algae rocks to feast on anymore.
    Keep it up man, you'll find the balance and you will both love and hate that you did cuz you wont have anything to do to it, but at the same time......you wont have anything to do to it lol.
    Let me know if your ever interested in trading some bloody mary's, my colony could use some new genes lol.

    Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
    More Tanks!

  14. Thanks KeyeNewen thanked for this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •