Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Bruce
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Extreme Nano self sustaining bowls

I have a couple small fish bowls (the type you could win a goldfish in at a carnival back in the day). I want to try a self sustaining tank and thought I'd start with a small bowl. I've watched a bunch of videos on YouTube and learned a lot.

I'm starting this thread if anyone has any tips or suggestions.

I plan to inhabit the bowl with shrimp so I'm thinking I'll need a heater. These are too small to install a little heater so I am thinking small heat pads for seedlings.

Going to use low light plants.

Any thoughts?

SCAPE Member SCAPEr PhoKingGood's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Sonny
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a test, I've done something similar, just a jar with half of java moss with 6 low end cherry shrimps, no heater, no air bubbles, no light, no feeding. After a year there were only one shrimp left and the jar was full of java moss. I think it's torture for the shrimp so I am not doing this again.
    If it's a hobby, don't try to set it and forget it, it's no fun and pointless.

3. Thanks Sasquatch thanked for this post
    On Duty Super Duper Master Scaper Zenzu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Carlo
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You mean low tech/low care? Self sustaining to me implies no outside influence. Like those Sealed Bio-orbs with opae ula. Low care bowls are fun to set up and are very cost effective compared to setting up another planted tank. I feel that the size bowl you picked may be a bit too small for fauna since those bowls are only like 16oz. I would scout Ross, DD discounts, TJ max, Marshalls, Homegoods, thirft stores for something more suitable in terms of size/volume. I would shoot for at least 1 gallon and up. This should allow adequate space for plants and some shrimp.

Be careful not to buy crystal, make sure your container is glass or acrylic.

5. Thanks Sasquatch thanked for this post
    SCAPE Member Jr. SCAPEr Sasquatch's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Bruce
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenzu View Post
    You mean low tech/low care? Self sustaining to me implies no outside influence. Like those Sealed Bio-orbs with opae ula. Low care bowls are fun to set up and are very cost effective compared to setting up another planted tank. I feel that the size bowl you picked may be a bit too small for fauna since those bowls are only like 16oz. I would scout Ross, DD discounts, TJ max, Marshalls, Homegoods, thirft stores for something more suitable in terms of size/volume. I would shoot for at least 1 gallon and up. This should allow adequate space for plants and some shrimp.

Be careful not to buy crystal, make sure your container is glass or acrylic.
    Guess I should've said low tech. If I've learned one thing there is no "no tech". I'm just looking for something that I only need to top off occasionally. I'm two days in and already thinking I may need a bigger bowl. Just because of what you said, not a lot of room for plant growth. This is a work in progress. Thinking maybe I should document it so I can show others my successes and my failures.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Bruce
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I switched to a bigger bowl. I believe this one is 2g (a cheapie from Walmart). I'm going to try to document the progress, if there is any. So far so good. I used plants from my other tanks.

20171114_004302.jpg

SCAPE Member SCAPEr PhoKingGood's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Sonny
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow that's pretty neat Bruce! Are you going to add a super tiny sponge filter?

9. Likes Sasquatch liked this post
    SCAPE Member Sr. SCAPEr jem_xxiii's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Johnny
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you seen these "Pond" by Glass Aqua: https://shop.glassaqua.com/products/...ss-cup-planter? Every time I open this thread it always makes me think of them.
    [BuceFiend.]

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Bruce
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoKingGood View Post
    Wow that's pretty neat Bruce! Are you going to add a super tiny sponge filter?
    No plan to. From what I've learned it should be a semi self-sustaining bowl. Except for topping it off occasionally I am hoping it will take care of itself. This is all new to me so any info/suggestions are welcome.

Here's the video I watched that got me interested in trying.

On Duty Super Duper Master Scaper Zenzu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Carlo
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty cool bowl!

13. Thanks Sasquatch thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Bruce
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I am six days in and I have finally got the light and temp down. Small bowl so a normal heater wasn't really an option. I opted for a seedling heating mat which seems to be working great. It's taken me a day to figure out how long to have it on for but I'm keeping it in the 78-82 range. I will be posting updates with pictures, success or failure, so if you're interested check back to the thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Bruce
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    10 day update! So far so good! Have done one water change (about 10%). The plants are pearling like crazy and seem to be doing well. Shrimp seem pretty happy too (Cheery Red's and Amanos).

20171123_021108.jpg

20171123_021218.jpg

16. Likes catfishblues liked this post