Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    jared
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm new to aquascaping!

Hi all! i'm brand new to aquascaping and loving it so far. just put together my first tank with some hairgrass, moss and Cryptocoryne Wendtii. the Cryptocoryne Wendtii melted away a lot of its leaves (heard this is common) do they usually grow back if left undisturbed? tank got super cloudy about day two but then cleared right up another day or two later. letting the tank get used to itself and start cycling, hopefully and then i will add a couple otos, handful of tetras and a couple small shrimp. How does that sound for creatures? i attached a photo of what i got going on so far
    Attached Images Attached Images

Water is Life 5000 posts, Officially addicted to SCAPE! Zenzu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Carlo
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heya, welcome to Scape. Yes it's common for Crypts to melt once introduced to a new tank. If left alone and tank environment is suitable (mainly temp, nutrients and lights) it will grow back.

SCAPE Member Pro SCAPEr Nick Shades's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tetrae and shrimp CAN be okay, but the juveniles will still suffer a higher rate of mortality.

SCAPE Member Sr. SCAPEr angeltre's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Angel
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome and a good start. Give then lots of plants/rocks/wood to hide and you will be fine. Maybe give the shrimp a month of two head start on the fish. I have Betas and lots of tetras in my tanks and still able to sell/trade lots of shrimp each year. Although I have been amazed at the size cherry a Neon can eat!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Tac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From my experience the shrimp won't survive the fish. I had maybe 50 cherry shrimp with nano fish for a while. I think it took them a month before all the shrimp were wiped out.

You have to keep in mind that shrimp are forage feeders so they're going to wander around all day and fish will eat anything they can fit into their mouths. If they can't swallow it whole they'll just spend their day pulling off bits and pieces until the shrimp is incapacitated. It's a hell of a thing to watch 5 cardinal tetras beat the crap out of 1 cherry shrimp.

SCAPE Board Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr Kole85's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of plants go through some melt or stress when introduced to new tanks. Happens a lot when the plant was grown emersed and the introduced to a submersed set up, takes a minute for the transition. As far as the shrimp with the neon I agree with giving the shrimp a head start. Get your tank nice and cycled and then pick yourself up about 20 cherry shrimp or neocaridina (wouldnt recommend any Caridina's with fish since each shrimplet will be like $10 meal for a fish) and let them go nuts for a few months. Thats a good amount to get them to start breeding fairly fast after they fully get used to the tank (can be a month or more before they begin breeding in a new tank but after that its like rabbits). Hopefully within a few months you will have a healthy shrimp colony with enough sexually mature shrimp that they will breed faster than shrimplets are eaten. And it will also give your plants to fill in to create as many hiding spots as possible.
    Basically you gotta ask yourself one question (do i feel lucky, do ya? Lmao JK). As far as the shrimp, if given the right conditions; do you want a colony thats going to grow exponentially and fairly quickly, a colony that will grow slow but still grow, or a colony that pretty much just maintains its numbers? That will help your decision. I think if you let a colony of about 20 breed steadily for about 3 months (should have roughly 100 or more shrimp by then) and then introduce a smaller sized school of neons (probably around 8-12 or so) you should have a "slow but steady" colony of shrimp. I would recommend a piece of cholla with smaller holes (smaller than a neon can fit into) for the shrimplets, makes a very good hiding place and an abundance of food for them.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk
    More Tanks!

SCAPE Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr jem_xxiii's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Johnny
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to SCAPE! Seems like you have a good plan going forward. Keep us up to date on your tank and how it progresses.

SCAPE Member Just Planted HIG541's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    jared
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the help everyone, i'll update in a couple weeks when i add some creatures

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    jared
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    20171101_201556.jpg

so its been a little less than two weeks. the wood grew some weird whitish fungus all over it. heard that might be normal, hope it goes away. the hair grass has not done much of anything but seems to still be alive. the moss seems to be hanging in there. water cleared up. thinking i'll wait another couple weeks and then consider adding some fish. any advice from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    jared
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    one more question. is it necessary to have a Co2 system for a small tank like this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Johnny
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HIG541 View Post
    one more question. is it necessary to have a Co2 system for a small tank like this?
    nope. some people like to go low-tech which is no CO2 at all. Some people dose stuff like Seachem Excel which is like liquid CO2 and some people just use a CO2 system.

SCAPE Member Sr. SCAPEr dealend's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    danny
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HIG541 View Post
    Its depends on what type of plant are you growing , not a size of your tank. In my experience dwarf hair grass growth and thrive under co2 tank. While in no co2 tank, they stay alive but no sign of growing.

Just FYI, seachem excell is not liquid co2(Carbon Dioxide), please read carefully on the bottle(liquid carbon, no dioxide). As we all know co2 does prevent algae growth, therefore many people thought excell is also liquid co2.

Many Hobbyist using seachem excell or hydrogen peroxide to kill algae, but this is doesnt mean excell is "liquid co2", it is type of glutexxxx(i forgot the exact chemical name).

Welcome to the hobby.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Johnny
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dealend View Post

Just FYI, seachem excell is not liquid co2(Carbon Dioxide), please read carefully on the bottle(liquid carbon, no dioxide). As we all know co2 does prevent algae growth, therefore many people thought excell is also liquid co2.

Many Hobbyist using seachem excell or hydrogen peroxide to kill algae, but this is doesnt mean excell is "liquid co2", it is type of glutexxxx(i forgot the exact chemical name).
    I stand correct. Gluteraldehyde is what liquid carbon is called.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    jared
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    20171102_160536.jpg

Hey all! went to ck fish today and picked up a couple plants and a snail and an oto cat. also set up a heater. this is the most fun hobby! looking to take great care of my new pets! will continue to update so that you guys and gals with the info can guide me in the right direction.

SCAPE Member 5000 posts, Officially addicted to SCAPE! swoof's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ben
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't see it mentioned, what size is the tank?

SCAPE Member Sr. SCAPEr angeltre's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Angel
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like you have some Vals in there. They will grow great without a lot of effort or CO2. I would also recommend anubias and Java fern for beginners. CK is a great resource and Pete has some free reading material.

A lot of Aquatic plants are really bog/swamp plants and that is why they need CO2 when they are fully submersed. if you stick to the easier stuff, your tank will do fine.

Once your tank settles in and you start to get the feel for what works you can add better lights CO2, better substrate, the list goes on and on.

It is a lot of fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    jared
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    20171104_204024.jpg20171104_204008_001.jpg

here are the first residents of the tank. heater is on and working great temp around 75 to 78. hard to tell on the readout. oto not swimming around a lot, hoping its acclimating. bought some wafers in case it needs supplemental food. snail is all over the place, on a mission.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    jared
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://youtu.be/dFZOQXolmfE

snail chowing down

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    jared
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    20171120_103453.jpg

Coming along. Grass does not seem to spread, but alive still

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    jared
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    20180212_192717.jpg tank still doing well. Lots of fresh water limpets invading. Going to let it do what it does