Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Beginning of a New Project

With christmas coming up and the recent petco sale on tanks I'm upgrading my mom's 10 gallon ornamental tank into a 20 gallon planted tank. Already have most of the hardscape figured out and will be picking up plants at the upcoming meet.
    The first challenge was the stand. Had to make it as close to furniture quality as possible to match the decor of the house. Started on the stand yesterday morning and made a ton of progress over the weekend. Just gotta let the stain dry and put on a few coats of laquer.
    Does it look "Furniture Quality"? Lol

Photos of tank being set up to come....

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

2. Likes John7429, Aquaman, Bongox3 liked this post
    On Duty 3000 posts, Grand Master SCAPER Zenzu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Carlo
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely looks like furniture quality. Something I would have stumbled across from the 70's back when wood panels were lavish lololol!!!! Great build, I'm glad you didn't over do it with the stands. People tend to make their stands super overly reinforced or with no support at all.

SCAPE Member Sr. SCAPEr Aquaman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Erick
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the wood grain!

SCAPE Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr Bongox3's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Michael
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So far, mad skills Kole... can't wait to see the tank on top!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Carlo
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My only critique is that it may look better without the added lip around the top.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bongox3 View Post
    So far, mad skills Kole... can't wait to see the tank on top!!!
    Thanks man, I used to build bowling lanes so it was nice to get my hands on some for a change again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenzu View Post
    My only critique is that it may look better without the added lip around the top.
    I looked at it for a while without the lip, the tank sits nice and flush. I like how it looks with the lip, it covers up the bottom rim of the tank. And I actually though about maybe using 4x4's for the frame but I knew that would be overkill and its easier on my back using 2x4's and 1/2" oak panels.

SCAPE Member Sr. SCAPEr geektom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Tom Mays
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think looks awesome, man! Great job! You mom will be thrilled.
    I am an old dog trying to learn some new tricks...

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geektom View Post
    I think looks awesome, man! Great job! You mom will be thrilled.
    Thanks, gonna finish up doing the laquer tonight and i should be able to start on the tank tomorrow, woohoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finished up the stand and painted the back of the tank tonight. I like the way it's turning out. Just gotta figure out how I want to set up the hardscape. Got the driftwood soaking already. Havent broken out the level yet to see how uneven the tile floor is, thats gonna have to wait for tomorrow. But if everything goes smooth hopefully tomorrow it will get filled and start cycling.
    BTW, does anyone in the Ontario area know a good place to get decent sized fine mesh bags? Like the ones used for filter media but larger? I've got about 30lbs of old gravel of different colors that I want to use some to put in bags for the base of the scape.

SCAPE Member Sr. SCAPEr geektom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Tom Mays
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check a pool supply place, maybe?
    I am an old dog trying to learn some new tricks...

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geektom View Post
    Check a pool supply place, maybe?
    I didnt think about that, I will have to check, thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    dan
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much in supplies did the stand cost and what type of wood did you use. I strolled through Home Depot and considered making a stand but the sheer variety of wood and plywood made my head spin. Is there a certain type of wood that works best?

SCAPE Member Sr. SCAPEr jem_xxiii's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Jay
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stands look great! You really did a good job on it.
    [The Comeback.]

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phreeflow View Post
    How much in supplies did the stand cost and what type of wood did you use. I strolled through Home Depot and considered making a stand but the sheer variety of wood and plywood made my head spin. Is there a certain type of wood that works best?
    It all depends on what your budget is and what you want the final product to look like. For the 2x4's I got Douglas Fir and for the lanels I used Sanded Oak Plywood. It was more expensive than I originally planned, but I went for better wood sinceI was going to stain it. The panels cost $15 a piece, I needed 3 panels to cover the whole thing. The 2x4's were like $8 a piece, I got 3 pieces. Then the prestain, stain, and laquer cost about $40 but will last for a few more projects.
    If you are planning on using Paint it would be cheaper, could use regular particle board plywood or MDF. And if you dont cover the whole thing (open back, or just painted frame) it would be even cheaper still. If you were to build just a basic 2x4" open stand that you just sanded and painted it would cost less than $50.
    So it all depends on preference of what you want the finished piece to look like. If you would like help getting a blue print or cut list together let me know. Would just need the dimensions of your tank and what you would like and I can help ya out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jem_xxiii View Post
    Stands look great! You really did a good job on it.
    Thank you very much. Hope to start on the scape tonight after work. Have had a couple long work days or it would already be cycling.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was a busy night on the tank tonight after work. Had to put some leveling glides on the bottom corners of the stand. Positivity and wishful thinking had me hoping I wouldnt have to, but the drawback of having stone tile floors is the lack of evenness from one tile to the next. A sheet of styrofoam under the tank and the glides and the stand and tank are level. A little extra work but worth it.
    Was also able to get the substrate and hardscape in. Was originally thinking of "river stone" type gravel but wasn't really feeling it with the driftwood. I went with a light layer of Miracle Grow Organic, a couple of bags of gravel from an older tank to add some depth and levels to the driftwood, and a black sand cap.
    I messed around with the driftwood for about an hour before I found the configuration I wanted and I am really loving how it turned out. I love the depth and little "path" the driftwood takes. Theres so many different angles to look at.
    Got the tank cycling with a HOB filter from an established tank, some API Stress Coat+, and Fluval Cycle concentrated bio booster.
    All it needs now is some plants! Lol. I'm gonna take some cuttings off some of the plants in my other tanks, but I'm thinking some Anubias Nana 'Petite' and mosses for the driftwood. Ludwigia, Hornwort, and maybe some Jungle Val for background. Not sure about foreground yet.

19. Likes privinvlu liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Carlo
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks great with a tank on it. Are you going to make a hood/canopy? Glad to see more people diy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks great with a tank on it. Are you going to make a hood/canopy? Glad to see more people diy.
    I've been thinking about that. For now, no. The budget for the stand and actual tank are just about tapped for right now, lol. Right now its using my old clip-on desk lamps with CFL bulbs. I may build a custom canopy with a built in light one day.
    For the immediate future though the next purchases will be plants (payday is the friday before the meet at CK, yeah buddy!), a simple glass top, a canister filter after this cycle has finished (will have to run dual filters for a while), and a better light. Will eventually set up a small co2 system (probably paint ball) one day, but for now its going to be as low tech as possible to make maintenance easy on my mom and step dad. When they get the hang of a low tech tank they might get co2 (maybe mother's day present? Lol).
    Fish will be simple too, they have an angel, 2 cory cats (they will be getting a few more now with the bigger tank), a dwarf blue ghourmi, 2 nerite snails, and 3 neon tetras (of which they will also be getting more of). Thinking 1 or 2 small species of pleco, some oto cats. Mainly nano tank type fish besides the angel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And thanks for the compliment on the tank, went straight into talking about the tank and forgot my manners, lol. I'm trying to make this my best scape to date.