Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Roy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*This Month* Blackwater Tanks/Tannin Aquatics @ GSAS - Oct 10th

*FREE Presentation* Blackwater Tanks/Tannin Aquatics @Greater Seattle Aquarium Society (GSAS) - Oct 10th

The Greater Seattle Aquarium Society (GSAS) is pleased pleased to announce our October 10th GSAS speaker is Scott Fellman, owner of Tannin Aquatics, who will be giving a talk entitled Out of the Darkness - Blackwater/Botanical-Style Aquariums. The talk will discuss what blackwater is (including blackwater habitats in the wild), benefits, ins-and-outs of replicating a blackwater system in the aquarium.

Scott has been keeping freshwater and marine aquariums since he was a kid. His passion is creating natural-looking and functional biotopes. He's written for tons of publications (like Reef Builders, Reef2Reef, and Coral magazine), and has spoken at all sorts of reef-end conferences like MACNA. He was co-owner of a successful LA-based online marine livestock retailer, before selling his interest in 2016 to launch Tannin, which specializes in, you guessed it, selling natural materials for blackwater and brackish aquariums!

The presentation, which is open to the public, will be Tuesday, October 10th, 2017 at 7:30 PM at Seattle Pacific University; Otto Miller Hall; Room 109; West Nickerson Street and 3rd Avenue West.

Doors will open about 6:30 PM for a 'social hour'; the meeting will start at 7:30 PM.

After the meeting, join us for our monthly auction and help to support the club that brings us all our these outstanding speakers.

Guests are welcome; no entrance fee

Family friendly but no childcare provided
    Free parking, accessible building
    No furry or feathered pets
    Go to Greater Seattle Aquarium Society (https://www.gsas.org/) for more information and directions
    Roy
    45 Gallon Tall; 96 Watt AH Supply CF; 6700K; & 30 Gallon Long; 2X36 Watt AH Supply CF; Press. CO2; UGF; Heat Treated Montmorillonite Clay
    Greater Seattle Aquarium Society

2. Likes dealend, Bongox3 liked this post
    SCAPE Member SCAPEr Seattle_Aquarist's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Roy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi All,

Blackwater Tank talk next Tuesday evening at Greater Seattle Aquarium Society!

The talk will discuss what blackwater is (including blackwater habitats in the wild), benefits, and the ins-and-outs of replicating a blackwater system in the aquarium.
    Roy
    45 Gallon Tall; 96 Watt AH Supply CF; 6700K; & 30 Gallon Long; 2X36 Watt AH Supply CF; Press. CO2; UGF; Heat Treated Montmorillonite Clay

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Roy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi All,

Just a reminder that tomorrow night is the GSAS talk about Blackwater Tanks by Scott Fellman of Tannin Aquatics.
    Roy

SCAPE Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr Bongox3's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Michael
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, I'd like to go to this talk!!! Please share highlights if you have an opportunity to do so...

6. Likes Seattle_Aquarist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Roy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Michael (@Bongox3),

Scott did a very good talk. He discussed different types of blackwater biotopes (who knew?), the benefits of 'blackwater' for fish health and breeding, and what 'ingredients' go into a tank to make 'blackwater' and the characteristics of some of those ingredients. Although Scott owns tanninaquatics.com I think the company/website was only mentioned once in the talk. Although I have not done a blackwater tank in the past I would feel confident starting one now that I have heard the talk.
    Roy

8. Thanks Bongox3 thanked for this post
    Likes Bongox3 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Michael
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks bigtime Roy, I wish I didn't live so far... most of my fish come from regions high in tannins, would have loved to hear him speak... I use to buy blackwater extract, but never had a blackwater tank..., I would just add to enrich the water for my fish, but no so much that lighting was significantly blocked from plants.... I now mostly boil almond, mulberry, guava etc leaves... I add the leaves to the tank, but also added much of the left over water once cooled.... I could never figure out the ingredients of BW extract as it's not listed on the brand I have bought - but wondering if the "tea" I use cover most of its possible ingredients such such as humic acids... I do notice that the tea has caused my tetras and dwarf cichlids to color up nicely... it also softens the water I'm using - but impossible to monitor how much to put i.e. dosing... having sat in on the lecture... do you have any thoughts on this? Or any advice???

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Roy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Michael,

I remember of few things that Scott talked about that may be of interest. First, there is really no quantitative measurements of various blackwater (BW) biotopes in nature although there is a meter ($200) capable of doing so (possibly measures dissolved organics?). It would be helpful to have data on various bw biotopes such as Rio Negro and other SA an Asian biotopes. Some of the more common leaves that Scott mentioned were guava (shrimp will actually eat these), magnolia, and Catappa along with Alder cones. Obviously the leaves should be dead, dry, and have fallen naturally from the tree. Leaves in areas where spraying for insects, mosquitoes, and fungus diseases should not be used. One thing I noticed that in a bw tank there are few plants (likely due to the very dim light conditions).....I wonder if Buce would do well if attached to hardscape nearer the surface?
    Roy

11. Thanks Bongox3 thanked for this post
    Likes Bongox3, Aquaman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Michael
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Roy, thank you again for the post... I think BW biotopes are stunning... I just have a plant addiction and no discipline!!! I mostly add tannins to soften water, induce spawning behavior and colors, and enhance fish health from the regions you listed... I add just enough to do it, but not enough to effect par significantly - at least not for any long lasting period. So far so good... with this, live food is also a huge plus and a great supplement as my fish's diets are naturally insect based. Since adding fruit flies and various worms, I've seen a big difference... daphnia as well, though technically a crustacean... I've used fluval new bug bites, but was reading while many like it, others are disappointed by its larvae content... nothing beats live food however... a little trick with the fruit flies (to avoid them crawling out) is to stun or drown them in cold water before adding... sounds super cruel, I know - but when u think of it, so is getting eaten alive

ok, before I wonder off topic... back to BW... did the speaker comment on commercial BW additives as good or bad? Any brands suggested...??? Was talking to Aquaman earlier about purchasing Catappa leaves in bulk online (prob amazon)...

I think buce in such a tank at its surface would look amazing!!! The itch is back!!!

http://www.everythingaquatic.net/for...atural-habitat

Hey, I made it to 1000 posts!!! Just noticed... hahahaha

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Roy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bongox3 View Post
    ok, before I wonder off topic... back to BW... did the speaker comment on commercial BW additives as good or bad? Any brands suggested...??? Was talking to Aquaman earlier about purchasing Catappa leaves in bulk online (prob amazon)..:
    Hi Michael,

No, he did not mention any additives. I got the distinct impression that he was for 'natural' BW using organic materials not only for the tannins but for the beneficial bacteria and habitat for the fish.
    Roy

14. Thanks Bongox3 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Michael
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool deal... you're prob right on with that... does the assoc video events?

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Roy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Michael,

If a speaker allows it GSAS does videos of all presentations some going back to the mid 1990's. Our most recent videos are in Blu-Ray HD. Our videographer is the same one that does the videos for the ACA (American Cichlid Association), AGA (Aquatic Gardeners Association), and several other aquarium related large events; regrettably most are only available to GSAS members although some (labeled "Free") like the one in September on freshwater puffers are available to all.
    Roy

17. Thanks Bongox3 thanked for this post
    Likes Bongox3 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Michael
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome... I just signed up! Gonna take some getting use to the layout and airstone... thank you so much for the info!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Roy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Michael,

GSAS is a 'local club' typically restricted to Washington State residents and guest speakers.
    Roy

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Michael
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ewwwww.... ok....well that's a bummer, was enjoying the interaction on airstone... if you don't mind, shoot me a pm with who to contact in regards to my error... don't want to tick off a fish group!!! Super bummed, seemed like a very cool group...

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Roy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Michael,

'airstone' is open to all. It is just the club membership that is restricted. You should hear from Ron, our Membership Chairperson, about any monies that you paid and a refund will be issued. If any problems in that regard you may contact me, I'm on the Board for the club.
    Roy

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Michael
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds good Roy... When I get excited about something i just tend to jump in without looking at the small print... my apologies.... looks like a very cool club...