Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you backwash bio media?

I have 2 eheim canister filter( Classic 2213 and Ecco pro 2236) hooked up in series and hang on back filter. The intake water goes through Classic canister filled w filter pad before Ecco pro canister filled all Eheim subtrats pro media(~4 liter), after that, water goes through Emperor 400 hangon back filter filled with Eheim Substrats (~3 liter) for my bamboo trees before goes into my 40 gallon tank. Yesterday was 1st time cleaning filter. The noticed that filter pad only dirty half way, but i saw some detrius on the eheim substrats, not complelely detrius free like i thought. So do you think Eheim Substrats Pro media should be backwash regularly ?

SCAPE Member Super Duper Master Scaper swoof's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ben
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When cleaning a filter biomedia should always be rinsed in tank wster.
    2016 Ride For Kids fund raiser

SCAPE Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr Bongox3's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Michael
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you do wash it, make sure it's with tank water or at very least dechlorinate water... so you don't kill off the benefial bacteria established.... a lot depends on how you stock your tank too and how established the tank is... also, on newer tanks I don't wash out my filters often as I don't like to cause any imbalance... for any new tank with size, I use canisters filters separate from each other and I don't clean them at the same time, but a considerable time apart... thus, I'm sure of the presence of benefial bacteria in filtration at all times... once the tank is established, it's not so sensitive as beneficial bacteria will be more abundant in the tank as well as in the filters...

Up until recently, I've housed medium cichlids... without washing out the detritus from the media, it slowed the outflow considerably as they and their food produced a lot of waste... with smaller fish, I've gone months without washing media without problems...

SCAPE Member Sr. SCAPEr Zackariah's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Zackariah
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second the above. I like to run two filters on all my tanks if possible so I can do desperate maintenance to insure beneficial bacteria levels are adequate. When your rince the media it will reduce the bacteria to some degree but it will bounce back faster then if starting anew.
    Also running canister filters in series is typically not recommended due to the likely hood of cavitation. I believe It can also put extra strain on the motors. I tried it for a bit to lower the amount if stuff in the tank but eventually it ran into issues.

5. Likes Bongox3, Zenzu liked this post
    SCAPE Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr Bongox3's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Michael
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just curious, why so much bio media?

SCAPE Member Just Planted DanielN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swoof View Post
    When cleaning a filter biomedia should always be rinsed in tank wster.
    Yes.thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bongox3 View Post
    if you do wash it, make sure it's with tank water or at very least dechlorinate water... so you don't kill off the benefial bacteria established.... a lot depends on how you stock your tank too and how established the tank is... also, on newer tanks I don't wash out my filters often as I don't like to cause any imbalance... for any new tank with size, I use canisters filters separate from each other and I don't clean them at the same time, but a considerable time apart... thus, I'm sure of the presence of benefial bacteria in filtration at all times... once the tank is established, it's not so sensitive as beneficial bacteria will be more abundant in the tank as well as in the filters...

Up until recently, I've housed medium cichlids... without washing out the detritus from the media, it slowed the outflow considerably as they and their food produced a lot of waste... with smaller fish, I've gone months without washing media without problems...
    Good to know that take sometime before cleaning it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zackariah View Post
    I second the above. I like to run two filters on all my tanks if possible so I can do desperate maintenance to insure beneficial bacteria levels are adequate. When your rince the media it will reduce the bacteria to some degree but it will bounce back faster then if starting anew.
    Also running canister filters in series is typically not recommended due to the likely hood of cavitation. I believe It can also put extra strain on the motors. I tried it for a bit to lower the amount if stuff in the tank but eventually it ran into issues.
    I see the water outless doesnt affect by 2 filter hooking in series. We"ll see
    Quote Originally Posted by Bongox3 View Post
    Just curious, why so much bio media?
    Cause i have a lot of them. Better put them to use.