Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    TJ
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Office Tank Plant Ideas?

Hey guys it has been a while. I really need to show off some of my 50 Gal tank since I started it 6ish months ago....
    Anyways This week I was moved into my own office and the office has a window....Woohoo upgraded from shared CAVE to personal WINDOW office.
    My office tank is Dennerle Nano Cube 14" x 13" x 11" currently a single baby yellow platy offspring from home and has a couple lava rock and moss. Probably add a 2-3 baby guppies and/or red cherry shrimp
    What I would like to do is add a small plant on top that roots into the water of the tank and flowers. I would prefer to do like a ground cover with small flowers but can be anything. Plant would be receive indirect sunlight through my window.
    Any suggestions or experience with plants outside of tanks rooting in tanks?

SCAPE Member SCAPEr ACalmADDFreak's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    TJ
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3. Likes Bongox3 liked this post
    On Duty 3000 posts, Grand Master SCAPER Zenzu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Carlo
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the office move! For an office tank, I'd probably go anubias, bucephalandra, ferns, crypts, moss/liverworts on mesh or ledges. Just keep everything low care and easy, however since you want to do something growing out of the tank, I do have some Riparium plants if you'd like to give em a try. One of the ones I have does flower with lilac colored trumpet shaped flowers pretty frequently.

Another option is to grow out some aquatic plants emersed. Rotala, ludwigia, Carpet plants etc. stick them onto a piece of wood with some moss and let them grow on the surface rooting into the water like you said but growing above the water line. The moss will wick water to the roots and allow the roots to grow into it and spread. Check out Adin tank journal he does a pretty cool emersed set up with broms, orchids or pitcher plants can't really remember, but it's fantastic.

http://scapeclub.org/forum/showthrea...n-tanks/page27 Found it!

5. Thanks ACalmADDFreak thanked for this post
    Likes Bongox3 liked this post
    SCAPE Member Sr. SCAPEr Bongox3's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Michael
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would consider Bolbitis sp. "Baby Leaf"... really pretty fern, with smaller leaves... can be atached easily to your rock and only needs low/med light... would look great as a background to a smaller tank plus it grows very slow... along with what Carlo suggested above... substratesource & buceplant have em in stock, as does the reef in anaheim...

7. Thanks ACalmADDFreak thanked for this post