Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Youn
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Starting an outdoor container/tub fish pond/water garden

I'd like to start a low-tech tub pond/water garden like this lady's: (highly recommend her videos!).

My main goal is to keep small tropical fish (white cloud minnows, CPDs, etc.). I've watched a lot of videos on people maintaining them, but not sure how to get started. I'd like to establish a tub pond where the fish can live and eat without added filter or maintenance besides the addition of water and plant care. Apparently daphnia and other creature start growing in there for the fish to consume. I'm experienced with planted dirt/Walstad tanks, so I understand how an ideal underwater ecosystem for fish.

I'm not finding much guide materials about how to get started. I got a lot of questions, but does anyone have experience with outdoor tub ponds?

SCAPE Member Jr. SCAPEr Travisdt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Travis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fish will die in this weather

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Youn
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Travisdt View Post
    fish will die in this weather
    Would keeping the tub under partial sun help? I read about people in Socal having outdoor fish tubs, so it appears to be possible to keep it during the non-winter months.

Super Moderator Pro SCAPEr yogi1774's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Peter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They will do well. Partial shade/sun is good. Use some type of aeration to keep pesky dragonflies away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Hector
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3 yrs with this buried 28g tube

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Youn
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @AGUILAR3, that's pretty cool. How do you refill water on these/ponds?

On Duty 3000 posts, Grand Master SCAPER Zenzu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Carlo
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have multiple outdoor tanks/ponds/tubs 5+ years. I have found that filtered light is neccessary to keep temps down and lower par to make it appropriate for most fully submerged aquatic plants, a heater is needed for the colder months, last year it got down into the low 50's. Filtration is not always neccessary. Aeration is not always neccessary. The key is to have lots of plant mass, and not so many fish and dose your ferts. Keep lots of leaf litter and decomposing organic materials.

SCAPE Member Sr. SCAPEr geektom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Tom Mays
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenzu View Post
    I have multiple outdoor tanks/ponds/tubs 5+ years. I have found that filtered light is neccessary to keep temps down and lower par to make it appropriate for most fully submerged aquatic plants, a heater is needed for the colder months, last year it got down into the low 50's. Filtration is not always neccessary. Aeration is not always neccessary. The key is to have lots of plant mass, and not so many fish and dose your ferts. Keep lots of leaf litter and decomposing organic materials.
    That is awesome, Carlo- I only tried it once and I got instant algae soup. I would approach it differently now. I may hit you up for some advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I am an old dog trying to learn some new tricks...

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Carlo
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geektom View Post
    That is awesome, Carlo- I only tried it once and I got instant algae soup. I would approach it differently now. I may hit you up for some advice.

Yep, just let me know what you may need help with. Here a pic of some plants grown outdoor using only filtered sunlight, No aquarium filter or pump, no co2 and my lazy ferts mix.

Have lots of leaf litter from guava and fig, peat moss, driftwood, riparium plants with very established roots.

Substrate is plant soil and white sand that was given to me by John7429 when he tore down a tank.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

10. Likes Bongox3 liked this post
    SCAPE Member Sr. SCAPEr geektom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Tom Mays
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, just let me know what you may need help with. Here a pic of some plants grown outdoor using only filtered sunlight, No aquarium filter or pump, no co2 and my lazy ferts mix.

Have lots of leaf litter from guava and fig, peat moss, driftwood, riparium plants with very established roots.

Substrate is plant soil and white sand that was given to me by John7429 when he tore down a tank.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
    Gorgeous!

I am an old dog trying to learn some new tricks...

SCAPE Member Just Planted friedoysterskin's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Jack
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's very easy. I currently have a small ~30g tub growing with tropical water lilies. It's currently housing some guppies and Siamese algae eaters. It's under full sun and does get a bit hot, but the fish don't seem to mind. Add water to whatever container you have and add plants. Do a water change in about a month or so, then you can add fish. You just have to bring them in during winter months. I think the hardest part is familiarizing yourself with pond plants if you aren't familiar with them.

SCAPE Member Sr. SCAPEr Bongox3's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Michael
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're not too set on the fish you listed, Orange County and Los Angeles county vector control use to allow free pick up of mosquito fish for pond and fountain owners... can't beat "free" (if this is still offered)...

14. Likes Zenzu liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Youn
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I set up a 29g tub about a week ago with four white clouds, and they seen to be doing well. Water temp has been good so far, even though it fluctuates over 24 hours. I'll probably bring them in for the coldest nights, but I read that people have kept these fish over winter outside without heaters. I might experiment, depending on how much space I have in my tank.

What kind of ferts are you applying?

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Carlo
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no specific mix, It's basically what I have left from the garden. Miracle Grow, Fox Farm, Superthrive, Earthworm castings, Humic acid, Compost tea mix etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Carlo
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recall reading many years ago that White Clouds can handle up to 90 degrees and as low as 50 degrees. I also hear they tend to jump of when water is unfavorable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_...ountain_minnow

I have kept goldfish, convict, guppy/endler, least kili, mosquito fish and neo shrimp outdoors in tubs. All do well except for guppy/endler when I see it is getting too cold, I typically net em and move em indoors. Any pics of the tub to share? Is it one of those fancy ones from lowes that has the windows?

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Youn
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any pics of the tub to share? Is it one of those fancy ones from lowes that has the windows?
    Got this from Costoco so I can test out tub pond. You can see two of the albino/gold white clouds! I placed in partial sun for now to keep the water temp under 85.

IMG_4520.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Carlo
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those stackable tubs are inexpensive and work well for many years. Looks like a great start, right now with those water lettuce you should be fine with just tap. If you start adding additional plants it will bump your nutrient requirement up, just keep it in mind.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Youn
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those stackable tubs are inexpensive and work well for many years. Looks like a great start, right now with those water lettuce you should be fine with just tap. If you start adding additional plants it will bump your nutrient requirement up, just keep it in mind.
    Yeah, that's why I asked how you fertilize your ponds. I added cyclying tank water into this tub, but all of it got sucked up by the plants over a few days. I'm hoping tap water and fish poop/wasted food are enough to keep the plants healthy. No plans to add anything fancier this year. I'll think of grander things for next year, if this turns out well! I'm gonna keep an eye out for a deal on one of those rubbermaid stock tank!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Carlo
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those rubbermaid tubs are pricey if we are talking about the same ones (large oval tubs 100g,150g etc), You can sometimes find them on craigslist in farther reaches like riverside/stockton/kern county etc. You can also look at Troughs they come in rubber and metal but still kinda pricey imo. A great deal are totes or transport containers. I frequently see stores using them to house koi or floating plants like hyacinth. Those are readily available since we live near one of the largest ports on the West Coast. iirc you can get one of those that holds 400g for around $100-$200 I think they are roughly 48" x 48" x 40".

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Hector
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lake_tuna View Post
    @AGUILAR3, that's pretty cool. How do you refill water on these/ponds?
    regular water change as you would do a fish tank.