Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Glen
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know... i love cories, but **** do they like to kick up a storm

Back when i had my 75g i had crystal clear water until i added some sterbais. It wasn't too bad, but it's just that there was always stuff visible floating around the water column. Just something to be aware of i guess. Also, i had sand substrate so that could've been another factor.
    Fluval Spec V - Male Black Dragon Betta / OEBT and Sakura/FR Neos
    UNS 3N - Zebra Babaulti and Yellow Neos

"...you can noodle with the layout forever... have fun!"
    -octanejunkie

Water is Life 5000 posts, Officially addicted to SCAPE! Zenzu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Carlo
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A good fine filter pad on a well maintained tank will keep your water crystal clear.

SCAPE Board Member Pro SCAPEr Kole85's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by glenCOCO View Post
    You know... i love cories, but **** do they like to kick up a storm

Back when i had my 75g i had crystal clear water until i added some sterbais. It wasn't too bad, but it's just that there was always stuff visible floating around the water column. Just something to be aware of i guess. Also, i had sand substrate so that could've been another factor.
    I have cory's in another tank, the only problems I see with having them is they are little lawn mowers when it comes to carpet plants. It took a long time to get some s. Repens established in that tank as well as pearlweed because they just mow it over.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk
    More Tanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Glen
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenzu View Post
    A good fine filter pad on a well maintained tank will keep your water crystal clear.
    Ouch, like the subtle burn
    Fluval Spec V - Male Black Dragon Betta / OEBT and Sakura/FR Neos
    UNS 3N - Zebra Babaulti and Yellow Neos

"...you can noodle with the layout forever... have fun!"
    -octanejunkie

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tank transformation coming soon!

More Tanks!

6. Likes privinvlu liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tank Transformation Complete! For now at least, lol.
    After the awesome Dutch scape this tank housed I knew I wanted to do something heavy with the hardscape when downgrading it back to low tech. Found a killer deal on stone so I picked up 30lbs of Red Lava rock really cheap and had the hardscape taken care of. Played with the rocks a bit until I found this layout. The rock bunch on the right was solid on its own but I used hot glue in a few places to make sure it is solid so it doesn't fall against any glass.
    Going low tech as possible with the plants. Big thanks to @privinvlu for the plant trade, got some java fern and an awesome anubias nana variagated. Picked up a Red Flame Sword and Amazon Sword for the back corners and put a spiral chain sword in the middle back. I superglued mini xmas moss to the lower levels of the lava rock, fissidens fontanus on the top levels of the rocks since its more tolerant of the higher light. Glued a small piece of java fern to the back of the right rock bunch, glued some different buces around on the rocks. I put the java ferns on the sides, put some more buces on lava rocks in some spots that looked cool, and put the anubias nana variageted on the rock in the front. I threw a node of Downoi in there to see what happens with it. I have an anubias nana petite I wanna add somewhere.
    I might have to swap out the light at some point for a lower power if I start seeing algae, we will see how the Ray2 does. I am expecting the swords to drown out quite a bit of light as they grow, in the mean time I am going to throw in a bunch of red root floaters from another tank.
    The filter is now a "Fluval" Aquaclear50. Fluval took over the aquaclear brand, same exact filter in a Fluval box. Swapped out the carbon for more sponge. Might get another MaxiJet400 for flow since I moved the other to the 40g, or I'll get a bigger one for the 40g.
    Livestock is still the same for now. As "The Dutch" matures I am going to be moving the fish. After the biological filter on the rocks in this tank matures some I will most likely be adding the Bloody Mary shrimp in. It should be an awesome tank for them to establish a huge colony in (I have a bunch of babies already and 4 berried mommas).
    Looking forward to seeing how this tank fills out. The moss should look great on the rocks as it fills it. Thinking about maybe doing a small moss wall somewhere with some Taiwain or Spikey moss, we shall see.
    Now onto the next project: fishing out a ton of Orange Pumpkin shrimp babies amongst all the scuds in that tank, then its WAR ON SCUDS! That tank is going to be completely redone, I'm thinking about possibly a Black Lava Rock wall for that tank? And then it might be a rescape of the 20g tall. Setting up The Dutch gave me "the itch" again, plus I feel my skills have improved and I require better scapes! Ha Ha! *Insert deranged laugh here*

More Tanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been a little while since I have done an update on this tank. It is now a brackish tank. All the livestock, except the amano shrimp, were moved to The Dutch a while back. The current livestock is 2 Figure 8 Puffers, 1 Green Spotted Puffer (just picked him up today, he's still skinny from the LFS), 3 Bumblebee Goby's, a red claw crab, and about 8-10 Amano Shrimp. I know, thats a lot for a 29g but I already have plans for the future that will make these guys very happy, I got a good year or so before they each get a couple inches.
    The Amano shrimp made the transition seemlessly to the brackish water with no casualties. Amazingly, they are the only shrimp the puffers don't target for chow time. If I drop a cull cherry shrimp, or some ghost shrimp (like in the video below) they go to town on them while leaving the Amano shrimp completely alone only a few inches away. My only guess is because the Amanos are OG's in the tank, been around since back in the day, and have seen some s***. Lol. They also don't bother the red claw crab, which I actually put in there one day for food for them and they just left it alone.
    I figured since it was so long since an update I would share a video, and plus it's about time I start making some videos for all the tanks I have and have scaped. So here's feeding time a few hours after introducing the new Green Spotted Puffer.....16 Ghost Shrimp.....YUM.
    https://youtu.be/RhEsWrNr0hQ
    https://youtu.be/aPL6lovbA4o

More Tanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another update on the 29g.
    Woke up about a week ago to find the smaller of the two Figure 8's dead on the floor, was a sad site to see. All the parameters in the tank are fine and the puffers never show aggression towards eachother so I decided to sit in a chair across the room and just watch the tank for a couple of hours to watch the puffer's behavior, they are supposed to be just like dogs anyways.
    For the first half hour after walking away from the tank they wandered the front of the tank looking to see if I was still around to feed them, but after that started swimming around the tank as usual. Over the course of the next hour and a half I watched as both the Figure 8 and the Green Spotted Puffer would swim around the tank in almost a pattern like they were "making the rounds". Every 10 or 15 mins one would make his way to the side glass and start shooting up and down and the other would follow.....BINGO! Not enough to keep them occupied and explore!
    I went down the building materials supply and picked up a few more pieces of red lava, stuck em in with some branches of driftwood I had, and threw in a bunch of Java Fern.
    I made sure to keep an eye on their behavior for the next week. No more "making the rounds" routine swimming, just seemingly happy puffers exploring their tank. Also, in doing this I have seen more of the individual personalities come out in each of the puffers. The Figure 8 (Puff) is a pretty lazy dude. He has his chill spots by the Amazon Sword and between the big rock and the rock pile where he spends most of his time, coming out to lazily swim around with a slow and determined "Hungry, need food" look. The Green Spotted Puffer (Still needs a name) is definitely a curious open water explorer. He's always watching what is going on outside of the tank, he stares down the cats lol. Strangely, the Amano shrimp have still yet to be touched by the puffers. If I dump in a red cherry or some ghost shrimp the puffer munch them down with the Amano shrimp inches away, and the puffers don't look twice at the Amano shrimp.
    Definitely gives me insight for when I set up the 60g biotope for them in the coming months, decor quantity and placement is KEY!

More Tanks!

10. Likes Aquaman liked this post
    SCAPE Member 5000 posts, Officially addicted to SCAPE! swoof's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ben
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a little add to this great thread. The more barren and open your tank is, the less happy your inhabitants will be (unless monster fish). The more decor and plants/wood/rocks in the tank to hide or "play around/in" the happier your inhabitants will be.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swoof View Post
    Just a little add to this great thread. The more barren and open your tank is, the less happy your inhabitants will be (unless monster fish). The more decor and plants/wood/rocks in the tank to hide or "play around/in" the happier your inhabitants will be.
    Yes I agree, plus it looks so much better lol. I had thought I already had quite a bit of hardscape for the puffers and no direct site lines from one side to the other, but they require even more because of their intelligence and tendency to get bored.
    Only tanks I keep somewhat barren are my shrimp tanks, but those still have plants lol.

More Tanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Shane Wilson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swoof View Post
    I have definitely noticed this in my tank. The bushier things get, the more peaceful the rams become and the more relaxed the tetras behave. The cories seem to be DGAF about it. lol But alas, the bushier things have become, the less I see the oto cats. In fact, the otos are seldom, if ever, out and about during lights on now of days.

SCAPE Member SCAPEr stormvisions's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Burt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like this tank has evolved from the first post. In any case it looks good. I tend to cluttering mine I think. I may have to rethink that and try a nice neat tank somewhere down the line. Thumbs up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stormvisions View Post
    Looks like this tank has evolved from the first post. In any case it looks good. I tend to cluttering mine I think. I may have to rethink that and try a nice neat tank somewhere down the line. Thumbs up.
    Ya, this tank has gone through MANY evolutions and this thread shows em all lol. And take it from me....there is ALWAYS room for another tank! Lol

More Tanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tank rescape in progres.....AGAIN lol. Thinking Walstad Method this time.....stay tuned.

More Tanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well....so much for that. The tank cracked while cleaning it up.

More Tanks!

SCAPE Member SCAPEr Ravensrose29's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Crystal
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kole85 View Post
    Well....so much for that. The tank cracked while cleaning it up.

Lmfao **** happens bruh. Hope you don't crack this one walstead is hard to find balance isnt it?
    "Keep your sleeves wet"

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravensrose29 View Post
    Lmfao **** happens bruh. Hope you don't crack this one walstead is hard to find balance isnt it?
    It can be hard to find balance in the beginning, but Walstad method is all about creating an active ecosystem in your tank. Lots of plants for filtering and not so many fish. As the tank matures you can go weeks, even months at a time between water changes.

More Tanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So a BIG thanks to Ravensrose29 for helping me out with a replacement tank after my bummer. The scape is back on!

More Tanks!

21. Thanks Ravensrose29 thanked for this post
    SCAPE Member SCAPEr Ravensrose29's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Crystal
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kole85 View Post
    So a BIG thanks to Ravensrose29 for helping me out with a replacement tank after my bummer. The scape is back on!

No prob i gotchu! ������
    "Keep your sleeves wet"

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So heres the aquascape as it sits this morning. I'm digging the layout and as it grows in should look really nice.
    In the background I have Ammania Gracilis, Ludwigia Repens, Cobomba, Red Myrio, and a Red Flame Sword. The rest of the plants I scattered around to try make the placements seem more natural. Theres Anubias Nana Petite, Anubias Nana, Anubias Nana Variegated (I still wanna say its either Snow White or Marble), Java Fern, Mini Xmas Moss, Rotala Rotundifolia, Spiral Chain Sword, Buce Brownie Phantom, Firebird Buce, Green Wavy Buce, Blyxa Japonica, A.R. Mini, Crypt Flamingo, a small amount of Fissidens Fontanus, and some Dwarf Hair Grass.

That Variegated Anubias though?!

More Tanks!