Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Evolution of 10g Shrimp Tank

From brand new and cycling just the filter with some java moss and water from my established 29g and some gravel from my other 10g,
    To adding dirt and some plants and still cycling with established gravel and water,
    To trying out some diy co2 and cycling with fresh water and established gravel,
    To adding more plants, some rocks, taking out the diy co2 (for now on this tank at least), starting a java moss wall, and adding some shrimp.
    My daughter helped me out with the layout of everything, she loves it.

Will be posting some more pics as it fills in more.

Gonna be trying out some plants and the diy co2 on my 29g soon, don't want to get the shrimp in this tank sick or anything.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Michael
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks great! cant wait for it to grow out. in my experience, planting anacharis ends up rotting the bottom stem because it likes to float at the top and extend roots into the substrate

Water is Life Super Duper Master Scaper Zenzu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Carlo
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great start. While dirt and co2 are not ideal for shrimp, I hope it works out for you. Like Ohmiko stated, Anacharis is not a stem plant that roots into substrate. It usually grows floating and will send out tap roots from the leaf nodes and try to achor itself to something, usually driftwood, rocks or substrate. It will be much happier if you let it flost horizontally. Gonna shoot you a PM.

4. Likes ohmiko liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenzu View Post
    Great start. While dirt and co2 are not ideal for shrimp, I hope it works out for you. Like Ohmiko stated, Anacharis is not a stem plant that roots into substrate. It usually grows floating and will send out tap roots from the leaf nodes and try to achor itself to something, usually driftwood, rocks or substrate. It will be much happier if you let it flost horizontally. Gonna shoot you a PM.
    I did some research on planting anacharis and everything i saw said it was a stem plant and due to its hardiness it could be planted about 1-2" into the substrate or can float. Most people said they stick it in the substrate and when it grows too long the cut the top off and plant stick the top in the substrate and it will grow. And I had gotten the same advice about the co2 with shrimp, thats why i removed the co2 from the tank. The dwarf baby tears probably wont fill out as well but its better than sick or dieing shrimp.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've added some rocks and made a moss tree with some christmas moss. I'm really enjoying this tank so far. Its a work in progress still but I think its turning out nicely. The shrimp seem to be liking it as well, one already had baboes and they're swimming all over the place. Threw an Indian Almond Leaf in there for them too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Up to date today. The dwarf baby tears werent doing so well so i took them out put them in my 29g that has diffused Co2. Put in some pearlweed I got from CK fishworld. Those guys are awesome. They didnt have any in their tank to sell but the guy went over and trimmed up the shrimp tanks real quick and gave me some pearlweed cuttings. I think the tank is coming along nicely. I'm working on thw 29g as we speak. Will be posting some pics of that one soon.

8. Thanks SamSam563 thanked for this post
    Likes ACalmADDFreak, SamSam563 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Samuel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kind of filtration are you using, is it only that one sponge filter in the corner?

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SamSam563 View Post
    What kind of filtration are you using, is it only that one sponge filter in the corner?
    Yes, just the one sponge filter. Its a good size for a 10g. I keep an eye on my water parameters almost daily as well, tank has been perfect and rarely needs to be touched.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Up to date picture of the tank. I added some eggshells back by the sponge filter for some added calcium and the shrimps seem to like to scatter the stuff around the tank. Doesnt really bother me though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Carlo
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well that's the first I have heard about adding egg shells to a shrimp tank. I have been somewhat out of the Shrimp game for years until recently. Apprently this is a common thing now, which to me seems a bit dangerous sicne it's harder to regulate release. Why not montmorillonite clay?

SCAPE Member SCAPEr BlackDiamondShrimp's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Jimmy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I see little shrimps foraging in a scape tank, I see little people working the land

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the research I did said eggshells were a simple calcium supplement and the dissolve slowly over time. I didn't want anything too strong so its just one eggshell, just a little extra boost to help with the molting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackDiamondShrimp View Post
    When I see little shrimps foraging in a scape tank, I see little people working the land
    Lol, ain't that the truth. My shrimp turn into a demolition crew when I drop a spinach leaf in the tank.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kole85 View Post
    I did some research on planting anacharis and everything i saw said it was a stem plant and due to its hardiness it could be planted about 1-2" into the substrate or can float. Most people said they stick it in the substrate and when it grows too long the cut the top off and plant stick the top in the substrate and it will grow. And I had gotten the same advice about the co2 with shrimp, thats why i removed the co2 from the tank. The dwarf baby tears probably wont fill out as well but its better than sick or dieing shrimp.

Just wanted to share this, i pulled a piece of anacharis out of the tank that had been planted into the substrate. The root from the bottom of the stem that was in the miracle grow organic is almost as long as the plant itself. I expected it to come out quick but it kept coming and coming, nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Caught a nice glimpse of 3 of my berried female cherry shrimp while feeding today and then a few hours later noticed a few babies. Things are going nicely right now, almost all of my females are berried up. Had small run in with some Hydra a couple weeks back but did some research and took care of it with some canine dewormer, worked like a charm with no noticeable affects on the shrimp whatsoever. Shrimp colony should be booming soon.

18. Likes alidium liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before and after trim

20. Likes ACalmADDFreak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its trim day today. Well, its been trim day for a while now, lol. Tank is pretty overgrown right now but I've been putting it off because my berried females have been popping off shrimplets like Tony Montana "SAY HELLO TO MY LIL FRIENDS!" Lol.
    Gonna put some post trim pics up a little later. But check out some of the babies. Theyre hard to see but at not even a full 2 weeks old they are already showing some nice red.

22. Likes Zenzu liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I havenít posted any full tank pics of this in a while because I was disappointed with the tank for a little while. Was dealing with a hair algae breakout on the moss tree, think it was too close to the light. After getting frustrated enough times I went through probably the most difficult and time consuming rescape to date. Removing the moss tree that was anchored in the dirt under the sand cap and relocating the pearl weed was a pain, but with patience was able to get it done. This is only a temporary scape for now, the shrimp will soon be starting to move into their new home, the 20g Long is a couple weeks out from being done with the cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Carlo
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FTS looks fine to me, don't seek perfection, just enjoy what you have and be happy your shrimp are alive. I am currently battling hair algae in my 33 long, I know why... Finnex ray 2... 9" from substrate 2-3" from driftwood... but hey, the tank is doing fine. fish are healthy and have a big apetite. Sometimes you just have to pick your battles. Will probably seek a light replacement after the holidays because my bank account is going to hurt. In the meantime if I choose to, I can treat with h2o2, but honestly without correcting the root cause the algae will just keep coming back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenzu View Post
    FTS looks fine to me, don't seek perfection, just enjoy what you have and be happy your shrimp are alive. I am currently battling hair algae in my 33 long, I know why... Finnex ray 2... 9" from substrate 2-3" from driftwood... but hey, the tank is doing fine. fish are healthy and have a big apetite. Sometimes you just have to pick your battles. Will probably seek a light replacement after the holidays because my bank account is going to hurt. In the meantime if I choose to, I can treat with h2o2, but honestly without correcting the root cause the algae will just keep coming back.
    Ya, thereís still some hair algae in the java moss, not as bad as there was on the moss tree though. Treating the hair algae pretty much killed the moss on the tree anyway. Still got the driftwood though, gonna save it for a deeper tank. And the main reason Iím moving the shrimp is not only for a bigger tank for a bigger colony, but as you mentioned way back when I first started this tank, dirt is not ideal for a shrimp tank. Itís a pain in the butt. The 20g Long is just black sand. This tank will be redone later on, but no dirt, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk