User Tag List

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: geektom's sanity tank (20g regular)

SCAPE Member Sr. SCAPEr geektom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Tom Mays
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kole85 View Post
    I'm enjoying this thread, trying to soak up all the advice being given out. Very useful knowledge. Tank is looking good tom

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk
    Thanks! And yes, you can learn a ton my my errors and Zenzu’s experience.
    I am an old dog trying to learn some new tricks...

SCAPE Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr Bongox3's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Michael
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tom, thanks for doing this thread... super informative and I dig the pics too, great job!!!... it's nice to see a thread with thoughtful dialogue rather than just someone selling something (lol, though that's cool too)... please keep it going!!!

3. Likes geektom liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Tom Mays
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tank rest update:

50% water change Sun/Tue/Th

No dosing since CSM+B last Thursday (1 week)

Overall, some things in the tank are doing well, others less so:

The repens still have some yellowing leaves, but while the growth is not coming any faster, the new leaves are smooth and green.

AR is both responding and not- leaves have straightened some, but also are losing the intense dark red, becoming greener on the top surfaces, except in the very middle of clumps.

The Rotala whatever *loves* the change, and has grown several inches, with longer leaves

Bacopa continues to do well- doesn’t seem to be doing any better or worse so far. The Pantanal has been continuing to grow in length, and keeping a nice color, but are staying “clamped” throughout the day. L. arcuata continues to grow in millimeters, though as it gets closer to the light, the leaves are getting longer and redder. P. stellata continues plugging along, though not nearly as fast as when I was dosing. The stem on the far left looks stunted, but it actually has 4 new little (1/2 inch) stems growing out of the top of it.

Whatever this mystery plant is (my money is still on dwarf Sagittarius) really likes the changes- all those clean, green leaves are from just the last couple of days.

Ok, by far the *least* happy are the syn’s I got from Dennis- granted, I was surprised they had been doing as well as they had been so far, but they are fading quickly. The belem on the right side (2nd picture) are holding up the best, but are still affected.

It’s been suggested that I raise my light up a bit to help prevent the green spot algae, but I haven’t figured out how to do that yet. I need some kind of DIY solution that will sit on the tank rim securely.

For now my plan is to go the rest of this week without dosing, do another 50% water change on Sunday, and then start over to see what happens. I will do some limited trimming at the same time.

Feedback and comments are welcome, as always!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On Duty 3000 posts, Grand Master SCAPER Zenzu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Carlo
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sure you re-evaluate your EI dosing. Something was off and was causing lock out. Now that your plants have been reset new growth is emerging, but won't last long unless you maintain proper nutrient levels, but without exceeding to much. I know the whole point of EI is to always provide an excess, but it needs to be done correctly. EI dosing should be based on plant needs and not a calculator. Your plants will speak to you through display. example: you made changes and noticed new growth, less intense color, but more even healthy color, less algae and more tank stability.

It takes time to get used to diagnosing the changes/deficiencies of the tank, but over time you will find techniques that work great for your tank. In regards to the syngonanthus they are a very demanding soft water plant and don't like to be starved, hopefully when you get back on schedule they will bounce back with full force. I am also suprised they lasted as long as they did, overall I think you're doing a fantastic job! Soon your tank should be fairly established and once balanced you should run into little or no issues even when things get thrown a bit off balance, in most cases the room for error widens and before damage can happen you do the 50% weekly reset(water change).

6. Thanks geektom thanked for this post
    Likes geektom liked this post
    On Duty 3000 posts, Grand Master SCAPER Zenzu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Carlo
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh and to raise your light using stands, you would have to get those acrylic risers or DIY something. I know Beachbum (Brian) is selling some Finnex hanging thingy's if you plan to hang. I would bet that you only need to raise the light an inch or so and you'll be back to business as usual.
    Last edited by Zenzu; 10-06-2017 at 11:38 AM.

8. Thanks geektom thanked for this post
    Likes geektom liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Tom Mays
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Zenzu! I think the calculator I was using for EI was messing me up, because it tried to calculate the TOTAL amount needed to the tank, one salt at a time- not taking the others into consideration. For example, it gave me the recommendation for 7.5 ppm of Potassium from K2SO4, not taking into account I was also getting it from KNO3, etc.I am going to adjust to 7.5 ppm TOTAL by reducing the K2SO4 and see if that helps.

I am also going to remember that major trims may require an extra water change.

I don’t know if I am committed to the syn’s- I will nurse them back to health if I can, but if anyone else is interested, let me know.

10. Likes privinvlu, Zenzu liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Tom Mays
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, super busy day on Sunday, so water change gets done today, and then adding macros again on the M/W/F schedule, reducing the K2SO4 solution to target a total of 7.5ppm Potassium across all the macros. Going to start with half-doses of CSM+B T/Th/Sat.

Here is pre-trim- you can see that most of the plants did okay after 11 days with no dosing.

Anyone have any tips on trimming/propagating pantanal?

CO2 is up to 5 bps to get the indicator to matching green after ~4 hrs of light.

Light duration is still 8 hrs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Tom Mays
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, post trim things are still looking a little raggedy.

Trimmed and replanted 3 pantanal stems, so hopefully I will get some side shoots from the trimmed bottoms so I can make a nice grouping. The quality of the tops took a real beating the last 3 days of no dosing- hopefully they will bounce back.

I have developed a real fondness for the Pogo stellata, but it is just too big and grows too fast for this size tank. I am having to pull them out and trim down to the top 6” every week. The stems at the substrate are almost 1 cm thick by the time they reach the top of the tank again! It would be great in a tank 20-24” high. I need something in that back left corner that will be leafy, but also has stems that can grow closer together to make more of a “solid” wall (can’t see the back of the aquarium through them). Open to any suggestions.

The bacopa is growing well but frustrating me because I want it to stay vertical and not “fan out”. The tops grow significantly larger as they get closer to the surface, and the side shoots are adding to the problem.

Side note: I took my Bacopa trimmings and planted them in an emersed set up just to see what happens.

Trimmed the snot out of the Rotala whatever.

The Ludwigia arcuata is finally starting to grow and seems to be the right color and leaf length. I am going to let it keep going without any trimming and then perhaps pull it all out, only keeping the best tops. I am also considering replacing it with a different leaf shape like L. repens.

Didn’t do anything to the foreground this time- going to wait and see how the syns respond, and if they don’t bounce back, I am going to rescape the front back to a river of repens, and move where the AR is.

I never mention the crypt on the far right- he ain’t fancy, but I like him. I think it helps “ground” the tank on that side.

Ok! I will post new pics as I see things respond to dosing again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Tom Mays
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pantanal bouncing back nicely after 3 days of dosing:

14. Likes ACalmADDFreak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geektom View Post
    Pantanal bouncing back nicely after 3 days of dosing:

I'm loving your scape man, every time I see it. It was cool to see it in person that night I picked up the plants from your RAOK. I'm waiting for my s. repens and AR mini to fill out more, had a little bit of melt from the move and I've also had my own battle with algae. New growth is happening slow, but it is happening, lol. I've been following your thread very closely as it has so much useful information, don't need google with this thread. Just about every thing you have needed advice on I have also needed advice on so I've been a fly on the wall the whole time, lol.
    Everything everyone has mentioned in this thread has helped me and my tanks a great deal. So thank you geektom for such an awesome thread, and thanks to everyone else for the advice!

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Tom Mays
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

geektom's sanity tank (20g regular)

Quick update- water change day today, but no trimming, other than to pull out some runners of the dwarf sag (that is what I think it is, anyway).

I was tempted to trim the pantanal because it ran to the surface already, but I want to give the side shoots another week before replanting all of them to (hopefully) create a nice, dense grouping. The L. arcuata will get another week of growing and then its first trim.

AR and repens have both bounced back nicely- almost all leaves look healthy now, and the repens is finally starting to fill in again. Not sure why my iPhone changes the color temperature so drastically when I zoom in to certain sections... to the eye, the color is not quite as “cool” as in this pic, and not quite as “warm” as in the FTS.

The P. stellata looks ragged on the left hand side, but it is because that one stem in branching like crazy, as you can see from the top-down view. Once they are a bit longer, I am going to replant the group to fill in the gaps you can see as the stalks get tall.
    If it continues to grow faster than I can keep up, I will switch it out with P. erectus, or something similarly bushy but not 3-4” across.

The syn belem are showing nice, green growth in the middle again after a week of dosing.

I have made the decision to swap out the Rotala whatever on the right hand side with some Limnophila Aromatica Mini, if I can find it.

Everybody have an awesome week! Get your sleeves wet!
    Last edited by geektom; 10-15-2017 at 07:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Angel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great Tank Tom.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Tom Mays
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by angeltre View Post
    Great Tank Tom.
    Thanks! It is coming along!