Real Name
    Trung
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Betta with blue eye question

Hi all,

I recently purchased a giant blue betta and the eyes are both blue color. First, I thought the fish was blind, but whe I tried to feed it with two live worms, it came straight to the worms. Then I tried with pellets, and it went to pellets on the top water surface. Has anyone had any experience with betta with that eye color? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    180 gallons of monster fish
    10 gallons of saltwater

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Bruce
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just taking a shot in the dark here but it could still be blind. I'm pretty sure fish sense their food with other means than just sight. A lot of fish live in brackish water and can't see their prey. Sharks are this way too. Maybe someone has more info but thought I'd chime in with what I know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Tony
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Just taking a shot in the dark here but it could still be blind. I'm pretty sure fish sense their food with other means than just sight. A lot of fish live in brackish water and can't see their prey. Sharks are this way too. Maybe someone has more info but thought I'd chime in with what I know.
    I was thinking the same exact thing so I wouldn't necessarily rule out blindness. Haven't seen a betta with colored eyes before either so that's crazy.

SCAPE Member Sr. SCAPEr cjbart1009's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Jasper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've seen a Betta before in the same situation. Blue eyes as well. Betta was following my finger outside the tank it was in. I've read somewhere that fish have a sixth sense called the lateral line which detect vibrations in the water. If a Betta is kept solo without filtration the water is very still besides the Betta swimming around. Dropping food in there will alert the Betta right away that there's something else in the tank. Try dangling food right above the water line and see if your Betta reacts. If he doesn't then most likely he's blind. If he does then he isn't. Hope that helps.

I'm only happy when my otos are happy

SCAPE Member SCAPEr joethecinbeng's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    jonathan
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put a mirror next to it, if it flares up then it aint blind. Maybe cataract

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Trung
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for the inputs. The fish has been doing okay, very active swimming and eating. It still flares up and ready to fight when I put another betta next to it. It has been eating well with no issue. I did some research and people say it's because of genetic that the scales grow over the eyes. It affects the vision like partial blind or completely blind when the fish gets older as the scales grow thicker. It's sad to find out that way, but I will still do my bests to care for him.

Trung
    180 gallons of monster fish
    10 gallons of saltwater

SCAPE Member Sr. SCAPEr cjbart1009's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Jasper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That's so sad. Just give him the best treatment and make him happy.

I'm only happy when my otos are happy

SCAPE Member Just Planted swalsh's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    saoirse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trunglippo View Post
    Hi all,

I recently purchased a giant blue betta and the eyes are both blue color. First, I thought the fish was blind, but whe I tried to feed it with two live worms, it came straight to the worms. Then I tried with pellets, and it went to pellets on the top water surface. Has anyone had any experience with betta with that eye color? Thanks

This is crazy!!! I have an IDENTICAL fish to yours except mine is silver/white. Mine has weird (super light, silvery) eyes as well and I just came across your post. If it is a genetic condition, maybe its unique to this species of betta? But I just thought Id share because seriously your betta is just the turquoise version of mine.