Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swoof View Post
    Cover with mosquito net.
    I'm not sure why, but this comment made me giggle.

Technically, speaking, Sam - It is ILLEGAL in California to harvest Mosquito larvae for any purposes, whether by accident, or deliberate. If you are caught doing it, you will pay very heavy fines. It is part of California's Vector Control program.

I personally DO NOT RECOMMEND CULTURING MOSQUITO LARVAE.

4. Likes SamSam563 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Samuel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its not like i wanted them. They just came in to my daphnia culture =( I guess ill dump it

SCAPE Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr Bongox3's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Michael
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope you guys don't mind my adding to an older thread...but this one started by Nick was super informative... as it's an unusually hot October, i got impatient waiting for it to cool in order to start my cultures up again... but in the meantime, I've found a neat alternative to daphnia in live flightless or wingless fruit flies... you can get them usually at petco (but over priced), reptile shops, and online...they are unable to fly, but hop on the surface attracting all fish in my tank... I tried to upload a video of my Columbian and gold tetras striking excitedly at them - but as I'm tech dumb, I was unsuccessful... instead I attached the below pics... not to be used as a stable, as they are questionable in nutritious value... these guys none the less mimic the natural diets of all my fish (tetra, med sized cichlids, and apistos)... plus it's very fun too watch the fish frenzy... for slower apistos and bottom feeding fish, I drown them and shoot them towards lower areas with a turkey baster... anyone interested in a source, pm me and I'll send you info on where I last got em....
    IMG_1712.JPG
    IMG_1720.JPG
    IMG_1715.JPG

7. Thanks SamSam563 thanked for this post
    Likes SamSam563, dealend liked this post
    SCAPE Member Just Planted Flighty Zeus's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kim
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Nick!!

Missed you at CK Fish World today! Someone else brought some daphnia so I bought *another* culture! I was not successful with the culture I bought from you! My husband is helping this time, so they might live!

These didn't come with food, so I'm going to make my own. I rewatched the video and think I have a basic idea of what I'm doing, but I wanted to double check with you. I have some algae wafers, shrimp food, and fish food. I think you mentioned using pellet food, not flake food. Is that right? I have some of both, I just don't want to use the wrong thing. I also have algae wafers, so I think I have a good foundation! You mentioned throwing some plant material in with the other stuff, should it be healthy or dying plant material?

One other question I had was, how do I store the daphnia food? Last time it started to smell really bad, especially after I added my own wafers and stuff. Should it be refrigerated? Should it be in the light or dark?

Thanks so much! Hope your schedule will let you come to the next meeting!

Flighty Zeus