User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 44

Thread: How to culture Daphnia: a video

  1. #1
    SCAPE Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr Nick Shades's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Redlands, CA
    Posts
    1,185
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    How to culture Daphnia: a video

    Home Sick from work today. Thought I'd make a video. Any questions? Let me know!

  2. #2
    SCAPE Member SCAPEr Electric's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2015
    Location
    Norwalk
    Posts
    116
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    John
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Great video, do you do waters changes? If so, how much and how often? Thanks again.

  3. #3
    SCAPE Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr Nick Shades's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Redlands, CA
    Posts
    1,185
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not conventional water changes. Just the replacement of the water I take out when feeding them, and splitting the culture.

  4. #4
    SCAPE Member SCAPEr dealend's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Monterey Park/Alhambra/San Gabriel
    Posts
    367
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    danny
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Nick, I see mine multipled now. I havent done any water change,just keep adding a small amount of your mixed food to the container every other day.

    Iam considering to built the new culture in seperate container.
    Iam a newbie looking for guidance from all senior

  5. #5
    SCAPE Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr Nick Shades's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Redlands, CA
    Posts
    1,185
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dealend View Post
    Thanks Nick, I see mine multipled now. I havent done any water change,just keep adding a small amount of your mixed food to the container every other day.

    Iam considering to built the new culture in seperate container.
    Definitely! I just split mine again.

    Just remember to replenish the daphnia food with more fish flakes, etc.

  6. #6
    SCAPE Member 3000 posts, Grand Master SCAPER naturalwonders's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Santa Monica
    Posts
    3,923
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    James D.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm doing a small culture of daphnia at the moment using used tank water in a 4G bucket in the patio. It's working out really well. It's been about less than 3 weeks and the daphnia population is exploding. The bucket is placed in the patio and received shaded sun light throughout the day. When I clean a tank, I use a small clean sponge and scrape off any algae on the glass/sides of the tank and squeeze this directly into the bucket. The daphnia feed on this and they seem to love it!

  7. Likes Nick Shades liked this post
  8. #7
    SCAPE Member SCAPEr SamSam563's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    194
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Samuel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i am about to buy a live culture of daphnia from ebay. Do you recommend a certain species of daphnia??

  9. #8
    SCAPE Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr Nick Shades's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Redlands, CA
    Posts
    1,185
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Courtesy bump for the folks who bought daphnia today,and asked for instructions .

    Sent from my 1+3t

  10. #9
    SCAPE Member Just Planted Flighty Zeus's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Inland Empire
    Posts
    12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kim
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks!!!

  11. #10
    SCAPE Member SCAPEr dealend's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Monterey Park/Alhambra/San Gabriel
    Posts
    367
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    danny
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Shades View Post
    Courtesy bump for the folks who bought daphnia today,and asked for instructions .

    Sent from my 1+3t
    mine got crashed (all died), after i went back from vacation. is there a way how to bring them back or i need to start over?
    Iam a newbie looking for guidance from all senior

  12. #11
    SCAPE Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr Nick Shades's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Redlands, CA
    Posts
    1,185
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How long have they been crashed?

    Sent from my 1+3t

  13. #12
    SCAPE Member SCAPEr dealend's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Monterey Park/Alhambra/San Gabriel
    Posts
    367
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    danny
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Shades View Post
    How long have they been crashed?

    Sent from my 1+3t
    Almost a month.
    Iam a newbie looking for guidance from all senior

  14. #13
    SCAPE Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr Nick Shades's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Redlands, CA
    Posts
    1,185
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dealend View Post
    Almost a month.
    Split the culture and add RO to both splits.

    They should be ready to pop back up any second.

  15. #14
    SCAPE Member SCAPEr dealend's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Monterey Park/Alhambra/San Gabriel
    Posts
    367
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    danny
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Shades View Post
    Split the culture and add RO to both splits.

    They should be ready to pop back up any second.
    Iam going to try that. Thanks Nick.
    Iam a newbie looking for guidance from all senior

  16. #15
    SCAPE Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr Bongox3's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2013
    Location
    In the land of milk and honey
    Posts
    1,013
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Michael
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi .... great thread and awesome video... I'm about order some, does it matter if it's daphnia pulex vs. manga? Getting em from a source that provides them to school laboratories - unless you guys know of a better/cheaper source....

    Again, thanks... very informative video...

  17. #16
    SCAPE Member SCAPEr dealend's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Monterey Park/Alhambra/San Gabriel
    Posts
    367
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    danny
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bongox3 View Post
    Hi .... great thread and awesome video... I'm about order some, does it matter if it's daphnia pulex vs. manga? Getting em from a source that provides them to school laboratories - unless you guys know of a better/cheaper source....

    Again, thanks... very informative video...
    Ask Nick, he could bring another culture for next meeting.
    Iam a newbie looking for guidance from all senior

  18. #17
    SCAPE Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr Nick Shades's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Redlands, CA
    Posts
    1,185
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bongox3 View Post
    Hi .... great thread and awesome video... I'm about order some, does it matter if it's daphnia pulex vs. manga? Getting em from a source that provides them to school laboratories - unless you guys know of a better/cheaper source....

    Again, thanks... very informative video...
    I try and bring at least 2 cultures to each auction.

    They sell, every time, for less than 5 dollars.

    The educational sources (Carolina Aquatics?) Always come mixed with Cyclops, Scud and Brine Shrimp eggs mixed, causing an annoying cycle of waiting for them to sort themselves out until they are only Daphnia, sometimes never ending up as just Daphnia.

    I recommend both, if you can get them. I forget which is which, but they are both, good. Depending on the size of the fish you want to feed them to. The smaller daphnia for the smaller fish.

    Mine are some sort of Russian variety. I think they are closest to a Magna, but I really don't know to be certain.

    The ephipia that this create are motile, so they can also be used as food.

  19. Thanks Bongox3 thanked for this post
  20. #18
    SCAPE Member SCAPEr dealend's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Monterey Park/Alhambra/San Gabriel
    Posts
    367
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    danny
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Shades View Post
    I try and bring at least 2 cultures to each auction.

    They sell, every time, for less than 5 dollars.

    The educational sources (Carolina Aquatics?) Always come mixed with Cyclops, Scud and Brine Shrimp eggs mixed, causing an annoying cycle of waiting for them to sort themselves out until they are only Daphnia, sometimes never ending up as just Daphnia.

    I recommend both, if you can get them. I forget which is which, but they are both, good. Depending on the size of the fish you want to feed them to. The smaller daphnia for the smaller fish.

    Mine are some sort of Russian variety. I think they are closest to a Magna, but I really don't know to be certain.

    The ephipia that this create are motile, so they can also be used as food.
    Your daphnia culture will bring anyone to join the Scape meeting,hahaha....
    Iam a newbie looking for guidance from all senior

  21. #19
    SCAPE Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr Bongox3's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2013
    Location
    In the land of milk and honey
    Posts
    1,013
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Michael
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very cool info Nick... thank you! Lol, I was about to order from Carolina, glad I waited !!! Unfortunately, my job is pretty busy on weekend so I haven't been to a meeting in ages... maybe it's time to cough cough, be "sick"

  22. #20
    SCAPE Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr Bongox3's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2013
    Location
    In the land of milk and honey
    Posts
    1,013
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Michael
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just ordered some off of aquabid... thanks again for this Nick....this should be very fun!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •