Real Name
    Samuel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New and Need advice

Hey SCAPE,

I just got into the hobby. I was referred by a friend to this website. I was just wondering if you guys could point me in the right direction.

Where are the best places to purchase shrimp in the los angeles / pomona / west covina / alhambra area?

I am not so much worried about price but more the quality. I would preferable like to pick it up because I am impatient but i guess delivery works too.

Thank you in advance everyone

-SamSam563

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nelson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, best places to pick up shrimp imo in that area is either CK fishworld, Blue Crown Aquatics, or local people. Pet Dotcom is working on a shrimp rack right now, so I am not sure if they have any shrimp yet.

SCAPE Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr sc91006's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Sidney
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kinds are you looking for?

SCAPE Member Jr. SCAPEr SamSam563's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Samuel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea I have been to CK, the place is pretty nice.
    I still do not understand how to order from Blue Crown Aquatics. Do you just call to set up an appointment and then meet up with them or what??

Thank you TheHunterN

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Samuel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still debating and am open to suggestions
    Since I am still a beginner I want to start off with some Cherries, however the SS Red Crystals look really sexy.
    I want like 10 SS grade crystals to start. What do you think?

Thanks sc91006

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    danny
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SamSam563 View Post
    Hey SCAPE,

I just got into the hobby. I was referred by a friend to this website. I was just wondering if you guys could point me in the right direction.

Where are the best places to purchase shrimp in the los angeles / pomona / west covina / alhambra area?

I am not so much worried about price but more the quality. I would preferable like to pick it up because I am impatient but i guess delivery works too.

Thank you in advance everyone

-SamSam563
    If you are in SoCal, The best would be from SCAPE in my opinion ,either from member or Auction on monthly meeting(next meeting is Feb 26,at petdotcom - Alhambra, RSVP if you want to attend).

Most of the time if you are lucky enough, you can get a better deal from Auction compare to any Local Fish Store around you.

And some of the SCAPE member has better color/quality IMHO and great deal. Open a new thread with "WTB" title on tradewind section

If the price is not a matter for you, some local fish store sell it as someone mentioned on the top. Also Bob's tropical fish in Monterey Park sell a few fancy shrimp,i just went there yesterday.

20170215_181725.jpg

20170215_181810.jpg

If you wanted to delivery/shipped and better deal for bulk quantity go to online store.you could learn more about the color and species , many online store sell it with description on it. Sometimes free shipping and live arrival guarantee.

Before having a dwarf shrimp,you need to aware how to create their wild habitat.

First,you need to have your tank cycle with proper soil that buffer your PH water.
    Second,you need to know what species are you going to buy. Some shrimps need soft water with stable PH and TDS. Also water temperature.
    Third,you need to have at least one of the following : moss or low tech plant or cattapa leave or lava rock or plant floater or cholla wood.

Having dwarf shrimp is not too hard,but also is not that easy (you need to maintain once in the while) is FUN.

Good luck and happy Shrimp keeper.

start your day with a smile
    Iam a newbie looking for guidance from all senior

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    danny
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea I have been to CK, the place is pretty nice.
    I still do not understand how to order from Blue Crown Aquatics. Do you just call to set up an appointment and then meet up with them or what??

Thank you TheHunterN
    You need to call to make an appointment with him. He is not a store, he is local breeder that used to sponsored SCAPE. He has good quality shrimps with decent price and willing to teach a new beginner.

Last time i heard he stopped selling it to public since he is too busy helping his parents. Call his number or text via facebook.

He has many tank with different species inside his parents warehouse, El Monte.

start your day with a smile

SCAPE Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr sc91006's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Sidney
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still debating and am open to suggestions
    Since I am still a beginner I want to start off with some Cherries, however the SS Red Crystals look really sexy.
    I want like 10 SS grade crystals to start. What do you think?

Thanks sc91006
    Hi Samuel, to the club. Before you start buying shrimps, do you already have a tank setup for them? If not you can start with a small setup 5 - 10 gal would be sufficient. Read up on water requirements for the kind of shrimps you want to keep, some people are able to kept them in tap water and have good results. I have always kept mines in RO water with remineralizer from MK Breed which you can buy from Blue Crown. For my setup, I have 3 tanks, two 5.5 gals both with ADA Amazonia substrate about 1.5 inches deep. Both have HOB filters and 1 sponge filter in each tank. The 3rd tank is 11 gal with ADA Malaya substrate 2 inches deep, filtration is Eheim canister and 2 sponge filters. PH ranges from 6.5 -6.8 and TDS 105 - 130. I don't check for kH or gH. The photos were taken a month ago of the larger tank. The next monthly meet is coming up, sometimes shrimps will be auctions off. Hope this helps and good luck.

20170125_055904.jpg 20170203_092352.jpg

9. Likes Zenzu liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Tony
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kris at lotus aquarium also got some blue bolts, crs, and pintos.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Samuel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for your help. Currently i have a 5g with 10 ghost shrimp, 2 nerite snails, and lots of plants. I am still letting my tank cycle some more before i add the dwarf shrimp! What should i bring to the next meeting in alhambra?

SCAPE Member Just Planted alidium's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Alida
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe a little cash (although they take cards for purchases $20 and up) Don't forget to register for the auction if you haven't already. It helps keep track of sales and purchases. The thread about the upcoming auction has all that info.

On Duty 3000 posts, Grand Master SCAPER Zenzu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Carlo
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would not add dwarf shrimp in with ghost shrimp, just a word of caution. Also if it's your first time stick with Neos

14. Thanks alidium thanked for this post
    SCAPE Member Sr. SCAPEr Nick Shades's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ghost shrimp and ornamentals, statistically, do not go well together. They have the potential of eating the smaller shrimp's young,and part of keeping ornamental shrimp is the fun of their constant propogation, but it is easily damaged when there are any sort of predators in the tank.

When it comes to tank mates, there are no shrimp safe tank mates, ever.

Some might have fewer casualty rates; otocinclus are generally considered completely shrimp safe, but they have been known to take down a juvenile from time to time.

Amano shrimp will not *typically* eat other shrimp, but they will bully them heavily for food. So if you use them as algae control as opppsed to nerite snails, you might have less than optimum propogation of progeny.

Alternatively, on the mention of amanos, there are many options available for special feeding areas that amanos cannot fit into that you can use to facilitate a tank that ornamental shrimp need to be fed in.

Lastly, choosing a good spot to get your shrimp from is absolutely necessary. You need to choose a very specific color line (dream blue? Blue velvet? Painted fire? Blue bolt? King kong?) and essentially stick with it.

Neocaridina cantonensis (crystal shrimp) cannot breed with neocaridina hetoropoda/davidi (cherry shrimp) , so there is possibility of having them in the same tank and not causing problems to their individial aesthetic, but they also have different needs for water parameters.

If you start with a great substrate, great water, and have delicate filtration, it is possible to have most ornamental shrimp all in the same tank, but echoing what has been said above, cherry shrimp are typically the easiest to start with.

Pick a color/strain you like and stick with it. If after about 6 months you have as many that you would like to sustain its look through generational propogation, take a stab at introducing CRS as well.

I've done it for over a year with tetrae, otocinclus, amano, CRS and RCS all in the same tank, and while the numbers are nowhere near as great as a tank that have no fish in them, I hardly do anything maintenance wise besides dropping in 20 or 30 daphnia every other day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    danny
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you bringing your daphnia again for auction? I want to try.

SCAPE Member Sr. SCAPEr Nick Shades's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dealend View Post
    Are you bringing your daphnia again for auction? I want to try.
    More than likely. Start setting up a dirty contaiener of old tank water for them.

Take two sterilite shoebox (they sell them at walmart for 97 cents) and fill them about 1/3 with old tank water and rinse your filter media in them.

Take a disposable water bottle and fill it 1/10 with algae wafers, and fish food, and fill the rest with tank water and shake it up daily.

This bottle will be your daphnia food, and the stinkier it is, the better it is for the daphnia.

Once you get the culture, split it between both containers and just add a little dirty water from the bottle to it (5 to 10ml every 3 to 5 days is fine), and as long as you have some light on it about 8 hours out of the day, you'll be great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    danny
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great info,thanks Nick. Do i need to change the water too every week?

Sergeant of Marines Master SCAPER John7429's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    John
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're going to blue crown, hit me up....
    HELP ME MOVE 5/27-29/17!!!

Tank options???

Dont insult me with your low-balls

Stuff for sale

Currently running: 180g monster fish, 140g monster fish, 80g discus, 60g reef, 6.7g planted, 2g planted, 2.5g opae

Reptiles: 1x bearded dragons, 40+ turtles/tortoises, 2x uromastyx, 3x Asian water monitors

Birds: 1x African grey, 2x double yellow headed amazons, 1x umbrella cockatoo

1x dog

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Samuel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yea ill hyu when i go to blue crown. Im think about goin soon