User Tag List

Thread: FREE AT LAST! Work smarter not harder!

SCAPE Member Jr. SCAPEr BlackDiamondShrimp's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Jimmy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FREE AT LAST! Work smarter not harder!

I'm starting this year off by never ever going back to having any stem plants and any fancy stem plants of any sort. They are high maintenance: too much lighting requirement, too much fert requirements, too much cutting and trimming bi-weekly involved. Cost most $1000s in maintenance and disasters. They get out of control, when I lose sight, and they block the surface and kill all the other bottom plants and eventually choke each other out to death.

I decided to work smarter not harder: Less top offs, no filter maintenance except once a year, trimmings of only rare and highly sought after plants for sale, very slow growing only plants with exception of nice carpet plants; No more frequent crashes, from monthly to yearly crashes. And also going for the modern look!

This year 2 tanks only, setup for crash proofing!

90gal(white painted trimmings)
    -Plants: ALL SLOW GROWING!! Rare Ferns and any ferns that can be tied to wood, mosses, Bolbitis, Anubias varieties, Crypts, and dark carpet plants:

-Animals: Basic tropical beautiful colorful community fish, nothing super high maintenance and easy to kill(Discus, Boraras micro fish, or any other micro fish), some snails and big rabbit Snails, micro crayfish of some sort;

-Low Tech Equipment: Low light Finnex LED at 38Watts with 10yr life-span versus (100Watt equivalent of T5HO bulbs that need annual change out), 700gph Odyssea Canister filter($70, once a year cleaning of sponge media), basic heater, high CO2 for first 2months, then reduced CO2 once everything fills in; tap water(bc RO is just overrated $$$); Auto fish feeder(more time enjoying the tank and other hobbies and business); Custom glass lid tops so no more topping off(except every 4-6months or so).

-Stand is white high gloss IKEA style, because browns and blacks are so old and outdated.

75gal(w white painted trimmings)
    -Plants: All SLOW GROWING!! Rare micro ferns, pink algae, red moss, rare types of moss, Bolbitis Fern varieties, Bucephalandra varieties, Aridarium Fern varieties, Lagenandra Fern varieties, Crepidomanes Fern varieties, piptospatha fern varieties, rare micro Anubias varieties, Super rare crypts tied on wood, Downoi tied on wood, Erio species that can survive in tap water: Carpet plant==Japanese Dwarf hair grass.

-Animals: No fish, Amano shrimps(clean up crew of any hair or black bush algae before it even has a chance to pop its ugly head), Neocardinia shrimp; ZERO snails(since we are dealing with very expensive super rare plants)--except Assassin snails to keep it clear from any future accidental snail invasions plus they have very pretty shells.

-Tech: high CO2 24/7, lots of liquid fertz(5yrs supply, super cheap at Kents online supply, $100 worth from what would otherwise be $400 worth supply if bought in retail); 2 DayLight Finnex LEDs 38Watts each w 10yr life-span versus (equivalent to 200Watts of 4 T5HO bulbs that need to be changed every year), 700gph Odyssea Canister filter($70, once a year cleaning of sponge media); tap water(bc RO is just overrated $$$). Custom glass lid tops(so evaporation top offs are like 4-6month, with minimal addition)

-Stand is white high gloss IKEA style, because browns and blacks are so old and outdated.
    Last edited by BlackDiamondShrimp; 02-02-2017 at 02:21 AM.

2. Likes alidium, June562, Tyrone, Aquaman liked this post
    SCAPE Member Jr. SCAPEr angry starfish's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Randy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am doing the same thing I like the cleaner look in the tank and having my hands less in the tank I think it's better for the shrimp.

4. Likes BlackDiamondShrimp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Troy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You do know that the rabbit snails can go after some ferns right? Mine don't touch my crypts but ate everything else.
    You are...

what you do...

when it counts.

The Masao

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Jimmy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have Yellow Rabbit snails, they don't eat my Anubias and Java ferns.

Quote Originally Posted by Speaker73 View Post
    You do know that the rabbit snails can go after some ferns right? Mine don't touch my crypts but ate everything else.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Troy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackDiamondShrimp View Post
    I have Yellow Rabbit snails, they don't eat my Anubias and Java ferns.
    Darn it. Mine ate all my bolbitis. Stupid snails
    You are...

what you do...

when it counts.

The Masao

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Jimmy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya, they never touched my Bolbitis either, I believe because my Bolbitis is at the very top of the aquarium--on top of a complex wooden branch structure, and the snails are too stupid to climb it, that or it's just too much for them. They rather crawl on the dirt or climb on glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Speaker73 View Post
    Darn it. Mine ate all my bolbitis. Stupid snails

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    John
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I recently recently changed my small desk aquarium with the same principles. All slow growing plants to limit amount of maintenance. Just more time enjoying the tank.

SCAPE Member Just Planted Dusty Dog's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Jerry Bell
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL Congrats black diamond shrimp sounds like you've reached the top of the learning curve ...simple is easer ... lesson 1 down .. next lesson don't sweat the petty things ...just pet the sweating things

On Duty 3000 posts, Grand Master SCAPER Zenzu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Carlo
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel like now that us transitional old timers get older, we start trying to do less and less with our tanks, we strive for something more stable with less committment. I think what you are doing is fantastic, can't wait to see your set ups. As for me, I don't think I will be doing any cool stuff like this for a while. I haven't gotten my hands wet in like a year aside from tank tear downs.

12. Likes BlackDiamondShrimp, swoof liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Jimmy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My years of constant experimenting and $1000s and $1000s poured into the hobby, I just wanna kick back and chill and realized its easy and cheap to fix problems after tons of failures and lessons learned. Simplify, simply and realize it doesn't take much tech and money to make things really work.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenzu View Post
    I feel like now that us transitional old timers get older, we start trying to do less and less with our tanks, we strive for something more stable with less committment. I think what you are doing is fantastic, can't wait to see your set ups. As for me, I don't think I will be doing any cool stuff like this for a while. I haven't gotten my hands wet in like a year aside from tank tear downs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Jimmy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of the best and cheapest simple tricks to kill hair algae/black beard algae(depending on size of tank and what fish are involved)....Hydrogen Peroxide($1 at Dollar store, Carbon Excel is too expensive and kills other plants, mosses, and inverts--s***y product). Amano Shrimps(as long as fish are removed bc fish food will always trump hair algae)If its a very sensitive moss with hair algae;

Blue Slime algae: Erythromyocin from Petsmart, $20, but worthy to keep for years whenever this algae like bacteria rears its ugly head.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Dog View Post
    LOL Congrats black diamond shrimp sounds like you've reached the top of the learning curve ...simple is easer ... lesson 1 down .. next lesson don't sweat the petty things ...just pet the sweating things

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Jimmy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just received yesterday another slow growing hardy plant that can be tied on wood and low light requirements., very exotic--beautiful reddish coloration. Lagenandra Mobeeli Small-variety, does not get gigantic.

IMG_4766.jpg
    Last edited by BlackDiamondShrimp; 02-04-2017 at 10:52 PM.

SCAPE Member Just Planted alidium's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Alida
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Less time worrying about every. little. thing. and more time enjoying! I like this post! I definitely feel like my shrimp and plants are better off when I leave everything alone for a little while. I once left everything for my so to take care of while I was traveling for about two weeks and came back to my first ever berried shrimp mom. Such is life

SCAPE Member Super Duper Master Scaper swoof's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ben
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you got the name wrong. it's Lagenandra Meeboldii . .
    2016 Ride For Kids fund raiser

18. Thanks Zenzu thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Jimmy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 10gal tank rack of about 8x 10gal tanks, one tank has some moss and Glosso foreground, everything has dual air sponge filter--simple $2 tech from eBay. I chucked like 10 Goldenback shrimps in this 1 tank, bunch died except 4 or even 5. I left everything alone, let them a couple of cichlid sinking pellets 1x or 2x at most a week, let the spot algae grow on the glass for food---saw couple berried ones eventually. 4months later I have like over 30 of these shrimps thriving, they are hard to kill. Apparently most high tech set ups have weird crashes and constant water changes, yet people manage to wipe out an entire population, regardless of their expensive Eheim canister filters and other expensive shrimp foods and shrimp playground toys. Too much $$$

Quote Originally Posted by alidium View Post
    Less time worrying about every. little. thing. and more time enjoying! I like this post! I definitely feel like my

shrimp and plants are better off when I leave everything alone for a little while. I once left everything for my so to take care of while I was traveling for about two weeks and came back to my first ever berried shrimp mom. Such is life

20. Likes alidium liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Samuel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    -Tech: high CO2 24/7, lots of liquid fertz(5yrs supply, super cheap at Kents online supply, $100 worth from what would otherwise be $400 worth supply if bought in retail); 2 DayLight Finnex LEDs 38Watts each w 10yr life-span versus (equivalent to 200Watts of 4 T5HO bulbs that need to be changed every year), 700gph Odyssea Canister filter($70, once a year cleaning of sponge media); tap water(bc RO is just overrated $$$). Custom glass lid tops(so evaporation top offs are like 4-6month, with minimal addition)

where you get this custom glass lid top? I am currently looking for this, could you please help me out

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Troy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How is that odyssea canister filter working out for you? Thinking of getting one myself for a new build.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
    You are...

what you do...

when it counts.

The Masao

On Duty 3000 posts, Grand Master SCAPER Zenzu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Carlo
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My experience with the cfs-500 canisters from Odysea. First set up they are fine. Once you start adjusting flow, they can leak. After that the flow adjustment will need to be taken apart dismantled and lubed, with the possibility of O-ring damage or needing replacement. This can be remedied by immediately popping open and lubing the flow adjustment when you first receive the canister. Aside from that they are a very basic mechanical filter that adds some bio as well. For the cost you can't beat it, but they can be quite finicky. The tubing is stupid and clunky, the suction cups are worthless, inflow and outflow are clunky as well. Value depends on how frugal or diy saavy you are. I paid $55 shipped for my first one and bought two additional used from BlackDiamondShrimp for dirt cheap, because he's a nice guy

24. Likes swoof liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Troy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenzu View Post
    My experience with the cfs-500 canisters from Odysea. First set up they are fine. Once you start adjusting flow, they can leak. After that the flow adjustment will need to be taken apart dismantled and lubed, with the possibility of O-ring damage or needing replacement. This can be remedied by immediately popping open and lubing the flow adjustment when you first receive the canister. Aside from that they are a very basic mechanical filter that adds some bio as well. For the cost you can't beat it, but they can be quite finicky. The tubing is stupid and clunky, the suction cups are worthless, inflow and outflow are clunky as well. Value depends on how frugal or diy saavy you are. I paid $55 shipped for my first one and bought two additional used from BlackDiamondShrimp for dirt cheap, because he's a nice guy
    Thanks got the info. Guess I'm going back to eheim...

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
    You are...

what you do...

when it counts.

The Masao