Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    John Z
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weekly update on the 90p and 5n.

Gave all the walls and rocks a good scraping. Next week will be time for a huge trimming and glassware cleaning process...

Monte Carlo is now growing quicker with the upgraded LED and we're not even using it at full power. Going to mess with the CO2 in this tank now that we have higher output LED. It's about to grow out of control.
    John

Follow on IG: @glassaqua
    My Girl and I's Epic 5 tank build thread

90p ADA
    5n Ultum Nature
    3n Ultum Nature
    20c Ultum Nature
    20c Ultum Nature

SCAPE Member Sr. SCAPEr plurmaster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Gary
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    amazing!

SCAPE Member Just Planted bchang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ben
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, I just spent a good 10-15 minutes looking at the thread from beginning to end and the development of the tanks look amazing. Love the look of that AquaTop heater, might need to pick one up myself

SCAPE Member Sr. SCAPEr geektom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Tom Mays
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the fish being sold in bags is crazy! I have never seen that-- is that common in Hong Kong because of limited space?
    I am an old dog trying to learn some new tricks...

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    John Z
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by plurmaster View Post
    amazing!
    Quote Originally Posted by bchang View Post
    Wow, I just spent a good 10-15 minutes looking at the thread from beginning to end and the development of the tanks look amazing. Love the look of that AquaTop heater, might need to pick one up myself
    Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by geektom View Post
    All the fish being sold in bags is crazy! I have never seen that-- is that common in Hong Kong because of limited space?
    They can't even bag em quick enough apparently lol.
    John

90p ADA
    5n Ultum Nature
    3n Ultum Nature
    20c Ultum Nature
    20c Ultum Nature

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    John Z
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Time for a weekly update....

We finally gave the ADA 90p a much much needed trim and needless to say... It still looks like it hasn't been trimmed FML LOL! there was a full bucket worth of hair grass and HC we trimmed I swear my arms were covered in it... Anyway, we'll see how the plants grow back. It's nice and thick right now. This week, we'll clean the pipes and add in a few more Neon Green Rasbora for a larger school.

Took a quick break between our weekly water changes and went reclaimed wood shopping. We must say, we're pretty handy when it comes to DIY stuff like this spent a good minute thinking of how nice a reclaimed wood/industrial fish tank cabinet would look.

Natural waxed reclaimed on the left vs raw on the right. Pretty nice right?

Back to the dueling tank setups. The algae seems to be slowly going away on it's on. The plants are def growing so thats a real good thing.

John

90p ADA
    5n Ultum Nature
    3n Ultum Nature
    20c Ultum Nature
    20c Ultum Nature

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    John Z
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's our weekly update. Didn't have much time for updates last week due to the fact that we adopted a mixed Terrier pup runt. He's @toyonotthetire on IG if you like puppies. And in case you were wondering.... here he is.... weighing in at 3.3lbs

Now back to the tanks. The Ultum Nature Systems 5n is now overrun by plant growth thanks to the new LED setup. The former sandy path that leads to the back is now non-existant but we kinda actually like the sandy patch that's been left open. We'll be leaving it to grow more for the next week before we do a massive trim.

As for the dueling dinning table setups the battle with algae is almost won. We've been spot overdosing with Flourish Excel for a few weeks now and it seems to be slowly working.

And then comes a new setup. Not really a setup but a temporary hospital and plant holding tank as I've joined a scaping contest that's coming up very soon. We got this tank, co2 system and lighting by ADA all used for super cheap from multiple sources. And on top of that I found all my old ADA stuff at my parents so we put it to good use. The plant growth is doing extremely well given that it's only been a week.

It's not much of a looker and you could say it looks dutch style but it does what it needs to do. Maybe we'll throw in some micro fish just for kicks to make it a bit more lively. In the near future this tank will be replacing one of the nanos that are currently running.
    John

90p ADA
    5n Ultum Nature
    3n Ultum Nature
    20c Ultum Nature
    20c Ultum Nature

SCAPE Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr banana's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Mindy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ur hospital tank looks great, I dunno what you're talking about lol. Puppy is so smallll!!! Very cute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Betta person who JUST discovered dwarf shrimp (but have time and space for only very very low maintenance stuff these days!)

SCAPE Member Jr. SCAPEr Sasquatch's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Bruce
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by turtlehead View Post
    Here's our weekly update. Didn't have much time for updates last week due to the fact that we adopted a mixed Terrier pup runt. He's @toyonotthetire on IG if you like puppies. And in case you were wondering.... here he is.... weighing in at 3.3lbs

Now back to the tanks. The Ultum Nature Systems 5n is now overrun by plant growth thanks to the new LED setup. The former sandy path that leads to the back is now non-existant but we kinda actually like the sandy patch that's been left open. We'll be leaving it to grow more for the next week before we do a massive trim.

As for the dueling dinning table setups the battle with algae is almost won. We've been spot overdosing with Flourish Excel for a few weeks now and it seems to be slowly working.

And then comes a new setup. Not really a setup but a temporary hospital and plant holding tank as I've joined a scaping contest that's coming up very soon. We got this tank, co2 system and lighting by ADA all used for super cheap from multiple sources. And on top of that I found all my old ADA stuff at my parents so we put it to good use. The plant growth is doing extremely well given that it's only been a week.

It's not much of a looker and you could say it looks dutch style but it does what it needs to do. Maybe we'll throw in some micro fish just for kicks to make it a bit more lively. In the near future this tank will be replacing one of the nanos that are currently running.
    I like that the pup has a MOLLE vest but without an AR he is fully ready for life!

10. Likes swoof liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    John Z
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    I like that the pup has a MOLLE vest but without an AR he is fully ready for life!
    hahah i used to work in the airlift industry so the tac vest was relevant.
    John

90p ADA
    5n Ultum Nature
    3n Ultum Nature
    20c Ultum Nature
    20c Ultum Nature

12. Likes swoof liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    John Z
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So here's the weekly updates...

The ADA 90p is looking nice, green and full. I'm thinking a handful more rasboras and this tank is set. Took some time to give it a deeper cut than last time and it looks better. Even the older growth isn't yellow anymore. We can finally say we have a thick carpet of HC that only took 4 months and a lot of dosing/co2 changes to figure out. We just switched to ADA Step 2 for micros so the plants might take a hit. Trying to dose slightly less since Step 2 is more concentrated than Step 1. We'll see how this week goes cause in a high tech tank, algae can grow fast so we'll know if we're overdosing, if not then we'll slowly bump Step 2 up to where Step 1 is but in theory we shouldn't have to if you follow what I'm saying.

Here's a clearer photo of the ADA 45f holding tank with 2 Amano shrimp for simple algae clean up. The plants are thriving and totally skipped the die off period that you would normally see. It's just barely two weeks from setup.

The Ultum Nature 5n is doing great. A major trim is due this weekend. We might be out of town for a day so it might have to wait, but look at that crazy hair grass. No more hair grass in future tanks cause it's a pretty invasive plant given just a little co2 and it will take off like crazy. We add a handful of pygmy cory cats in there. Very nice little fish.

And finally the dueling dining table setup is looking clean. I usually trim the steam plants on the right tank every week just to shape it and so that we end up with a nice rounded bush. The tank on the left is due for a second trim soon too.

Here's the CO2 setup for this tank in case y'all were wondering...

Whew... so many updates. @toyonotthetire is pooped!

John

90p ADA
    5n Ultum Nature
    3n Ultum Nature
    20c Ultum Nature
    20c Ultum Nature

14. Likes substratesource liked this post
    SCAPE Member SCAPEr ACalmADDFreak's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    TJ
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John,
    Just love your 90 and 45 they are gorgeous.
    Agreed that you would need more Rasboras for that tank it needs more life throughout the tank. From what I have noticed is that in Iwagumi Set Ups the hardest part is filling the dead space that is not filled by the Hardscape. And since Iwagumi is for simplicity only 1 type of rock and a couple types of plants (most carpeting) the same applies to the Fish. Can't just put an angel fish in because it doesn't fit the style or look natural but when you have Rasboras like you have it looks like Flying birds across a prairie. Almost there. Awesome job.
    For the 45 are you using that for just plant cultivation?

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    John Z
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ACalmADDFreak View Post
    John,
    Just love your 90 and 45 they are gorgeous.
    Agreed that you would need more Rasboras for that tank it needs more life throughout the tank. From what I have noticed is that in Iwagumi Set Ups the hardest part is filling the dead space that is not filled by the Hardscape. And since Iwagumi is for simplicity only 1 type of rock and a couple types of plants (most carpeting) the same applies to the Fish. Can't just put an angel fish in because it doesn't fit the style or look natural but when you have Rasboras like you have it looks like Flying birds across a prairie. Almost there. Awesome job.
    For the 45 are you using that for just plant cultivation?
    Thank thanks. Asking around to see who has more Green Rasbora to buy from!
    John

90p ADA
    5n Ultum Nature
    3n Ultum Nature
    20c Ultum Nature
    20c Ultum Nature

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    John Z
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are the weekly updates...

Decided to try something different and record a video of the ADA 90p this week just to show you all how it's like to watch this tank that sits in our dining room. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/embed/tQ5wCUm5eGk

Also, very upsetting news is the betta on the left tank has unfortunately made a leap of death while we we're out and here's the most recent photo of him before his death He was our first fish together and went through a lot. RIP Toast the Betta... we might rehome another betta or turn it into a a shrimp tank. We'll see.....

John

90p ADA
    5n Ultum Nature
    3n Ultum Nature
    20c Ultum Nature
    20c Ultum Nature

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    TJ
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John,
    Cool video. What is that Device on the left hand side that is putting the white cloud into the tank? I know the front left is the C02.
    Sorry to hear about your Betta. Maybe the betta was trying to show off to its neighbor.

SCAPE Member Super Duper Master Scaper swoof's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ben
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ACalmADDFreak View Post
    John,
    What is that Device on the left hand side that is putting the white cloud into the tank?.
    The twinstar nano+
    2016 Ride For Kids fund raiser

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    TJ
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So it is like a sanatizer?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

SCAPE Member Super Duper Master Scaper swoof's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ben
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by swoof; 04-18-2017 at 05:43 PM.
    2016 Ride For Kids fund raiser

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    TJ
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats really cool. I wonder if I could make something like that.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    John Z
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So here's a HUGE UPDATE for you all cause we've been super busy with the following:

Here's how the Ultum Nature 5n looks on our nightstand and we switched it around after our ADA Super Jet 150 canister filter finally cycled

Then recently we attended Pet Expo and entered into the aquascaping contest. It was our first live contest. We placed 3rd and were really happy with that.

We were to scape a Fluval tank that is around 7g and taller in size that we were normally used to. The original idea was to go with our typical rock only hardscape however we noticed that as we were scaping the day before that we realized that we needed more height and the rocks just didn't do that so we had to scramble last minute to get spider wood, silicone glue and super glue. Notice the foam board model in the exact tank dimensions to ensure that our scape would fit and we could just literally lift it out of the foam model and place it into the contest tank the day of.

While finalizing the scape, after the mad rush to local places for wood, and figuring out if the glue would hold the scape together, we marked off where we would plant certain plants

It all started to turn out to look like an elementary school project. Some wet moss was placed on places of wood to hide the glued scape and to see how it would look. In total, we glued together 3 wood pieces and 4 twigs to the rocks. We didn't even know if the glue would stick because 2 hours before the show, we decided to glue one more piece to the scape.

After careful transporting for an hour, we got to show with only 4 hours to plant and setup the tank up. After filling with water, here's how the tank looked. It took us a total of 3 hours. Shoutout to FLUVAL.

In the end we came in 3rd but was very proud of our accomplishment!

This was first place by BUCEPLANT.com

Remember that ADA 45-F we were using as a plant holding/hospital tank? Well, we were using that tank to grow out plants for this contest and just take a look at this monthlong progress!

The night before the contest, we took the plants out and cleared it out

The next day after the contest we drove back to transport the tank back and had to re-setup at home

Just took this photo last night of the tank and 2 weeks later with a new Betta addition. We named this new blue betta, RED lol.

In other news, our full ADA 60p setup is now all here after parts collecting for a month.

Hardscape test #1
    John

90p ADA
    5n Ultum Nature
    3n Ultum Nature
    20c Ultum Nature
    20c Ultum Nature

24. Thanks ACalmADDFreak thanked for this post