Real Name
    Adam
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Guys, New Here

Hey Guys,
    Im kinda new to the whole planted aquarium setups. I've had tanks for most of my 26 year life and recently switched my 55gal tank to be planted with shrimp and some neon tetras. its doing really well, however, I am currently dealing with a green hair algae problem. some of the "algae eating" additives say not to use them with shrimp. any suggestions as to good ones to use with shrimp? Ive heard Excel works really well, but curious as to its effect on the shrimp.. I have a buddy that has a lot of experience with plants (outside of water) and thinks that adding lime will help balance things out!? I have never heard of anyone doing this, and most definitely don't want to kill everything in my tank. So my question would be, has anyone ever added lime to there tank? and with what luck?

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    J
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome. Sites pretty slow and it's a slow time of the season for the hobby so don't be too discouraged from lack of replies. In regards to your algae issue read here:
    http://aquariumalgae.blogspot.com/

3. Thanks MadPlanter thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    nancy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just a thought outside the box and im not a pro but if you have a small side tank you could remove some water from your tank and put your shrimp into as a holding tank while you treat your algae issue then after its fixed do several water changes and then re add your shrimp i think it would be the safest way to do it as shrimp dont like chemical changes very much in there water. again just my thought. im sure someone here can add if they think this would work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Alan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome! Hair algae is a pain and in a 55g it's can get to be a huge pain. Manually remove as much as you can, spot treat with hydrogen peroxide. Any fish that will eat hair algae, like florida flag fish and SAEs, will probably eat your shrimp first.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Buce Plant
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the rest, manually remove as much as possible and do 30-50% water changes. Try raising your light or reducing intensity. If neither are possible, I've also tried putting a cut piece of window screen mesh net from home depot to block out/diffuse some of the light. Spot treating with hydrogen peroxide works well too, I've seen hair algae turn from green to greyish white and then die with it. My shrimp were unaffected. Good luck!

SCAPE Member Just Planted DurocShark's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Don
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the past I've been able to deal with algae in planted tanks by increasing plant load with cheap fast growing plants and adding CO2. It's a slippery slope though...

I also have a 9 gallon tank you can use to move your shrimp into if you decide to go that route. Throw a cheap sponge filter in there and some plants (it has reef LED lights, but should keep plants going just fine) and you should be good.