Real Name
    Ron
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking First aquascape

image2.JPGimage1.jpg

first attempt at an aquascape. its in a 2.5 gallon tank. I added some red ramshorn snails a few weeks into the cycle to help speed it up, I'm planning on a blue velvet shrimp tank. light is at around 1.8 wpg, got some phoenix moss, mini christmas moss, and some pogostemon helferi, and some hair grass. my lfs is getting HC on friday so I'm planning on getting some of that. they also have scarlet badis' but may not get one because they told me he would eat the shrimps. when the tank is well established (probably later this year) i plan on getting some of those thai micro crabs! if anyone has experience with those please let me know more about them.

I have co2 running through a regulator i made myself with a couple of needle valves from home depot, i got a micro diffuser so it doesn't take much space in the tank, its hiding behind the hair grass and fissiden near the base of the tree, i made a free floating media filter with cut up straws and a 5 gallon plastic jug so that increased my water capacity, i hammered a grinding disc (a very course sandpaper like disk) ontop of the straws to pepper them with texture for the bacteria to grow on. it also keeps the tank a little cooler since most of the water is in the jug under the table away from the light. I have a small hang on back filter that i put the jug input and output into because i don't want the strong flow in the small tank. a line sucks water up and goes through a pump that pushed it into the jug and also agitates the media floating at the top, there is also ceramic fluvial media at the bottom of the jug. the pressure of the water then pushes back out the jug and into the hang on filter and spills back into the tank.

let me know any comments or suggestions, thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Tony
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nicely done. Should fill in nicely with the plants you've gone with, especially the moss and hairgrass. Update post when you get the blue velvet shrimps.

SCAPE Member Just Planted Fomkp's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ron
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! yes i will definitely post pics of the shrimps when i get them