test test ad

User Tag List

Thread: Water quality and RO unit.... Please help the less scientific...

SCAPE Member Pro SCAPEr Bongox3's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Michael
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Water quality and RO unit.... Please help the less scientific...

So I was looking at a rather dated table of the water quality in Cerritos...the only thing I gleamed from it is that I should have stayed in school...I know a few of you live in the Cerritos/Artesia area... If one of you can dumb down the readings between the MWD and ground water, and advise if a RO unit or an RO/DI unit would be worth it in this area - I sure would appreciate it.... I'm not growing anything all that fancy plant wise and mostly have southern/Central American cichlids and tetras... Just curious if u guys think the investment is worth it, which type of unit to go with, and of course why... Didn't see much discussion when I conducted a search...

Thanks....
    Mike

SCAPE Member Jr. SCAPEr bettamax's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    elliott
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are the current water parameters in tank?

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Michael
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thx for the message Emil, look forward to chatting with u!!!

Elliot, I'll have to do a test this weekend but ammonia 0ppm, Nitrite 0ppm, Nitrate 5ppm, and ph 6.5... Got to recheck hardness...

EI dosing, no big issues with algae, 100 gallon tank, press C02 (drop checker kept light green, no issues with fish though), med to high lighting 6 hrs daily (sometimes a bit more).... filtered with a large sun sun 100gph, marine land 50 gph, and a large hydror 90gph.... Filtration due to bio load of cichlids in the tank...

Pew Pew Lazor 5000 posts, Officially addicted to SCAPE! Zenzu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    BUCK
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Mike, yes it would be a good idea to get and use an RO sysytem Cerritos water standards and what comes out of the tap greatly differ. Ph is off, Nitrates are way higher than the alowances listed. Same goes for trace elements, Cerritos water is pretty darn hard.

5. Thanks Bongox3 thanked for this post
    Moderator 2000 posts, Star SCAPEr Nick Shades's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bongox3 View Post
    So I was looking at a rather dated table of the water quality in Cerritos...the only thing I gleamed from it is that I should have stayed in school...I know a few of you live in the Cerritos/Artesia area... If one of you can dumb down the readings between the MWD and ground water, and advise if a RO unit or an RO/DI unit would be worth it in this area - I sure would appreciate it.... I'm not growing anything all that fancy plant wise and mostly have southern/Central American cichlids and tetras... Just curious if u guys think the investment is worth it, which type of unit to go with, and of course why... Didn't see much discussion when I conducted a search...

Thanks....
    Mike
    Could you please provide a link to your water parameters that the city flushes out?

As someone who has professional experience in plumbing and water management divisions, I can tell you that most water data provided by cities is just for what comes directly out of the pump/storage facility. What gets to you through the city's pipes, and through your home's pipes is often very different, especially depending if your water lines are done with Galvanized, Copper, or Pex.

Personally, I find it not very cost effective to buy a good quality RO unit.

Yes, the argument is that after about 600-700 gallons of water, it pays for itself.

But depending on how much you use the unit, if you do 25 gallons a month and pay $.25/gallon, it will take you a year to hit 300 gallons. If a unit costs you $180, it'll take 2 years before you reach cost effectiveness.

I'm not sure about you, but for my FW tank, I use treated tap water, because it has better buffer and minerals and just top off with RO I get from the dispenser around the corner. My FW tank only goes through about 5 gallons a month of RO/DI water if I'm being sloppy.

Cichlids and Tetras are some of the hardiest bunches of fishes in the world. They are just fine with treated tap water. When it comes to freshwater fish, you're not getting into needs for RO water unless you are stepping into Discus, expensive ornamental shrimp, and other very specific breeding environments where you have to manipulate the water environment and parameters very closely.

7. Thanks Bongox3 thanked for this post
    Likes bettamax liked this post
    Moderator 2000 posts, Star SCAPEr Nick Shades's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bongox3 View Post
    Thx for the message Emil, look forward to chatting with u!!!

Elliot, I'll have to do a test this weekend but ammonia 0ppm, Nitrite 0ppm, Nitrate 5ppm, and ph 6.5... Got to recheck hardness...

EI dosing, no big issues with algae, 100 gallon tank, press C02 (drop checker kept light green, no issues with fish though), med to high lighting 6 hrs daily (sometimes a bit more).... filtered with a large sun sun 100gph, marine land 50 gph, and a large hydror 90gph.... Filtration due to bio load of cichlids in the tank...
    What treatement are you already doing?

I read the 2015 report for MWD/Cerritos just now and it states that surface pH is 8.1, and at the pump is 7.9. That is pretty far away from a 6.5 Something in your system is bringing that pH way down.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Michael
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was probably an error in how I did it... but have used peat in the filter and water sample for the test was taken late in the day with full co2 saturation....I'll test it again...

Thanks for all the responses guys... happy father's day!!! Think I'm going to go ahead and get one... something new to tinker with!!!