User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help selecting snails for my tank.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nelson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need help selecting snails for my tank.

Hi guys, I been looking for some snails that can live in my params. Params are: 6.0 ph, gh 4, kh 0, tds 180, and temp 72. Any idea what species of snail could live in this water? I been liking the super colorful pink and blue leopard ramshorn, but their reccomended params don't line up with what I have. So yeah anyone have suggestions?

Moderator Master SCAPER Nick Shades's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You want these for algae control i assume?

Generally snails want high ph.

I have nerites in 6.9,and they might do 6.6,but ramshorn are the only ones that can do about 6.4. If you have hard water, they might do 6.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nelson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope just because I like snails.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    James
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mts will turn the soil. Rams horn and nerites will eat algae. And assassin snails will keep the snails from over population.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Alan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going to be tough with a ph of 6.
    I used to have a collection of blue ramshorns but now all my ramshorns die early in my tank with ph around 6.8-7.2. They never reach full size.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nelson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by June562 View Post
    Mts will turn the soil. Rams horn and nerites will eat algae. And assassin snails will keep the snails from over population.
    Are you sure they can all survive in my water params?

Devilduck: So will they breed? If so would the future generations be able to adapt to the water that they are in or is the water just not able to support any snails.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Hector NF
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your best bet is to try with one or two snails, you can always do drip acclimate as we do with fish or any other live critters. Good luck.

Sent from my LGMS345 using Tapatalk

8. Likes June562 liked this post
    SCAPE Member SCAPEr chrispena33's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Chris
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To me, any snail other than Nerites are pest snails.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nelson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chrispena33 View Post
    To me, any snail other than Nerites are pest snails.
    Ill take any free snails you would love to give me

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Alan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My ramhorns do breed. They just stay stunted or don't survive past a the size of a large bb. Blue rams horn don't look great until they reach about 1/4 inch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nelson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by devilduck View Post
    My ramhorns do breed. They just stay stunted or don't survive past a the size of a large bb. Blue rams horn don't look great until they reach about 1/4 inch.

That is a shame I really wanted to keep some nice looking ramshorns. Is there a way I could supplement the snails without hurting the shrimp? Could I give the snails a cuttlefish bone or something? Would that help give them the calcium they need to develop or will the acidic water just dissolve their shells too fast? Do you think I should keep nerites? I been reading around and apparently they can live in a ph of 5.0 with like no gh? This seems really interesting here is a screenshot. https://gyazo.com/ba811f07e2aca41fecce2b3b799961e8 should I trust this and get like 1-2 nerites just to test?

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Alan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get a separate tank Ramshorns can live in pretty much anything from a bucket to a vase.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nelson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get a separate tank Ramshorns can live in pretty much anything from a bucket to a vase.
    Would I need to filter/heat it? Can I just do one of those mason jars or something?

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Alan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope, not if you keep them in normal room temps. In highschool, I knew a guy who raised them in styrofoam cups.

Decent Thread:
    http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/88...rn-snails.html

On the last page of the thread you see a picture of a full size ramshorn with babies. Mine never get past the baby size.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nelson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope, not if you keep them in normal room temps. In highschool, I knew a guy who raised them in styrofoam cups.

Decent Thread:
    http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/88...rn-snails.html

On the last page of the thread you see a picture of a full size ramshorn with babies. Mine never get past the baby size.
    Dang that really sucks I guess I will just go find a jar or something and try to find some ramshorn snails. I only have one right now and need some more :l dam.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Eriberto
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is everyone talking about the same things here? Snails right? the ones that everyone tries endlessly to rid from their tank? They can survive and adapt to almost any aquarium environment that's why they are pests.....parameters don't mean much to snails especially ramshorn, pond and MTS....unless your using pure RO water you can keep snails.
    Devilducks problems sounds like not enough food they need to be fed just like any other animal in low food environments not enough to reach full size they starve

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nelson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by walzon1 View Post
    Is everyone talking about the same things here? Snails right? the ones that everyone tries endlessly to rid from their tank? They can survive and adapt to almost any aquarium environment that's why they are pests.....parameters don't mean much to snails especially ramshorn, pond and MTS....unless your using pure RO water you can keep snails.
    Devilducks problems sounds like not enough food they need to be fed just like any other animal in low food environments not enough to reach full size they starve

From what I heard is that they don't reach full size due to the water eroding their shell at an accelerated rate which somehow causes them to die premature, however they are still able to breed and will keep breeding and still die premature. Don't forget acidic water and super soft water generally does not favor snails at all. So I guess I am trying to fight a losing battle trying to find a snail that survive this water.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Alan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by walzon1 View Post

Might possibly be true in my particular case. But OP has both low PH 6 combined with low KH, I'm assuming this is because OP raises CRS. It's known they will eventually get ugly pitted shells at those parameters. You can add calcium supplements but this will make the water less suitable for CRS.

I'm not going to discourage you from trying it, I'm sure your LFS or a fellow member will give you a couple of snails for free or nominal cost. Might even be a great excuse to start a Sulawesi tank

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nelson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah it is for a taiwan bee tank. I been seeing videos of people with ramshorn snails in their tank, however I am really not sure as alot of people say their shell will errode extremely fast leading to premature deaths. In generally my main concern over this topic is based on the fact that if I do get like for example ramshorn, I would be buying some nice looking ones, so I would prefer to see them at their max.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Eriberto
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHunterN View Post
    Yeah it is for a taiwan bee tank. I been seeing videos of people with ramshorn snails in their tank, however I am really not sure as alot of people say their shell will errode extremely fast leading to premature deaths. In generally my main concern over this topic is based on the fact that if I do get like for example ramshorn, I would be buying some nice looking ones, so I would prefer to see them at their max.
    Shrimp need TDS ie. Ca Mg for their shells the same as snails do. I really don't see how snails would be affected and not shrimp they would have the same problem.