Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I THINK I want to raise my pH.

So, I am about 72 hours into cycling my tank.

29 gallon tank, 23 gallons of water in there, total.
    Volcanic Soil (The Fluval and Rio-Escuro Mixed).
    RO Water that tests at about 6.2pH, came from a water store near by.
    GH and KH testing come back complete after 1 drip, each (I forget the technicality of this, but basically, they're as soft as you can get).
    Supplementing CO2 through a Fluval 20g Static Diffuser (not a constant bubbling, just 3 times a day, I fill the diffuser).
    Ammonia is virtually nil, perhaps .at about 0.15ppm
    Nitrite is at about 0.10ppm
    Nitrate is at about 0.5ppm

The aquarium water is testing at about 6.4pH, with the same general hardness as the RO water out of the dispenser. I DID just add Kent RO Mineral Supplement, but reading it, i don't think it is really going to do anything - my parameters came back identical, and I think all it does is add the teeniest amount of mineral content to allow a very minor buffer.

6.4pH. These seems a little bit too low. I THINK i would like to have 7.0ph, as that will be a perfect amount to have.

Should I Add Crushed coral to a nylon bag and put it in my cannister filter? Should I add 1 tsp of Sodium Bicarbonate (Baking Soda, Arm&Hammer), and test again in an hour?

is 6.4pH fine? This is the first time I have ever used RO Water from the get go. Previously, I would use conditioned tap water, but I was more interested in getting as pure of water (RO) and going from there.

I don't have it stocked with anything besides plants and Driftwood, and the substrate is mostly Fluval Plant & SHrimp Stratum.

I plan on having mostly inverts in the tank, along with Otocinclus and possibly Tetras and Ghost Glass Catfish.

Is 6.4pH fine? I am so used to previously running extremely High PH Hardwater from the tap, that this is a completely new obstacle to me.

Your advice and opinions are always greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

SCAPE Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr redhottoast's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Steven
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    when your first cycling your tank you want your water to be alkaline, just use tap water. Benificail Bacteria has a higher chance of propagation and stabilization with alkaline water. Acidic water tends to slow them down when you initially start. Slowly make your water acidic after 3 weeks, you want to be between 6.0 and 6.5 for optimal nutrition absorption for your plants
    There is no reason not to learn anything.

3. Thanks crazyangels thanked for this post
    Likes crazyangels liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    David
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rather than playing around with additives, you could just add a quart or two of tap water and see where that gets you.

Moderator 2000 posts, Star SCAPEr Nick Shades's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by characodon View Post
    Rather than playing around with additives, you could just add a quart or two of tap water and see where that gets you.
    Kiss. Or "KEEP IT SIMPLE, STUPID!"

good call. I did exactly that, and my test water is right at a beautiful 6.95. Tempted to drink it myself ;-)

From here on out, until, my cycle is complete, I'm going to mix it at a ratio of 1:3 treated tap to ro, and that should slowly bring me up to a kinder, more natural pH with a buffer
    Last edited by Nick Shades; 03-26-2016 at 09:53 PM.