User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stingrayness's 12g Long Journal!

SCAPE Member SCAPEr stingrayness's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Austyn
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stingrayness's 12g Long Journal!

This will be my second high-tec planted tank and biggest! I love the 12g longs so I am so happy to have set one up and see the progress of my scape.

Hope you enjoy! Feedback and advice is always welcome!

Specs as follows:

-Filtration: Eheim 2213

-Lighting: Current USA LED plus

-co2: 24 oz paintball tank with UP Aqua Omnibus co2 regulator and UP Aqua inline co2 atomizer

-Substrate: ADA Aqua soil Amazonia normal type 9L

-Hardscape: Seiryu Stone

-Plants: Utricularia Graminifolia, Fissidens Fontanus

-Fish: Otocinclus

-Shrimp: Amano, RCS

-Nerite Snail

DSC_0298.jpg

4/14/16

DSC_0334.jpg
    Last edited by stingrayness; 04-14-2016 at 09:41 AM.

2. Likes ayospider liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Leonardo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awwwwwwe dude that looks good! I love how those rocks nicely take up space, some people always feel that it might be too big for the tank but I feel it suits it. You can keep tinkering with it to get a good flow between the rocks and the tank but so far I say it's a good start. Try out a few different setups, rearrange them, try out different positions, it never hurts and post them up and get everyone's feed back. But I'm digging it,
    Last edited by ayospider; 01-23-2016 at 09:55 PM.

4. Likes stingrayness liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Austyn
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you!! I am definitely going to try different scapes once I get the soil lol I just don't know if the 9 liters will be enough or not. I'm debating if I just want to get another 3l bag just in case. But thank you! I will definitely post pics of each scape I come up with

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Austyn
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And yea I was scared to have such big rocks at first but I think they work really well

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Leonardo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen scapes that lose the impact because they don't take up that space in the tank, it's like everything is put towards the bottom 1/3 and you have tons of room on top. Now sure they might argue its swimming room for the fishes, but when you take up a good amount of space it does make the scape pop! You'll notice how a lot of pros deal with the positive and negative use of space, and you'll see how some are not afraid to put in some big anchoring pieces, also you can do that with the plants you chose. One thing I would just have to point out, just remember you still have to consider filtration and the light. If your scape hinders either one of those two than it could lead to problems eventually so just keep those in mind.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Austyn
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea I have noticed that also. I really like how Amano always uses massive stones and even James Findley. And I was planning on putting the outlet on the far left and the intake on the far right, I didn't see a problem but maybe I'm missing something. Also with the lighting, from what I can tell now the rocks shouldn't cast any big shadows on the substrate, but we will see when the time comes

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Leonardo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup! Exactly. I would say just consider what it is that you want to do and keep, now if your intentions were to set this tank up to keep a specific fish that gets big and needs a lot of swimming space then you might have a problem, but if you plan to keep relatively small species or fish that just hover around then you can take up more room.

Obviously you can plan everything out to the minuet detail, but you really won't know if it works until your actually rockin and rolling, you might just have to wait and see if your filter arrangement works until it's in there.

10. Likes stingrayness liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Austyn
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking tetras and rasboras and maybe thread find rainbow fish so I don't think the scape will effect them too much.

I'm glad you will be following along! You will be my voice of reason lol

12. Likes ayospider liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Austyn
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking tetras and rasboras and maybe thread find rainbow fish so I don't think the scape will effect them too much.

I'm glad you will be following along! You will be my voice of reason lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Erick Alfaro
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stingrayness View Post
    Well it's finally here!!! (More or less) I have officially moved and unpacked and the most exciting part is my new beautiful tank! All I have right now is the tank and the rocks. Moving was a little more expensive than I thought so the rest I will be getting in the next week or two.

As you know, I get very excited about things so I already scaped my tank lol. I used a towel to simulate subtrate and also so the rocks don't scratch the glass. Let me know what you think! I don't know if 9l of Amazonia will be enough to have the hills I want and would like some help with that. If it's not enough can I use a base of regular black sand or something? I hope you can see what I see with the towel lol
    Nice!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

15. Likes stingrayness liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Austyn
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Updated first post. I am planning on choosing my plants based on which hardscape I decide to go with but I definitely want a nice carpet of UG and maybe some fine red and green stem plants to add color and contrast

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Austyn
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone have experience with planting UG in normal Amazonia?

SCAPE Member Jr. SCAPEr jollyscaper's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kyle C.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is going to be good! UG should be fine with normal Amazonia. The only problem I have seen is when it gets too dense it could float. I suppose if you have a deep enough substrate the roots can go deep and hold it down though.

SCAPE Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr GBR's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Berty
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't recommend UG. It'll get long if you don't trim it. I'd do HC (dwarf baby tears) instead. And maybe some AR mini or Ammania Bonsai (rotala indica) behind the rocks on the left middle and right sides. Blyxa also works well, as a background plant, but I've never had luck with it myself. Great start on the hardscape!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks good. I have UG planted in regular ada soil with 1/2" powder topped off. Some parts the powder got moved over so its only the regular ada amazonia and the UG is still growing so it should work, but powder definitely helps with planting

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Austyn
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GBR View Post
    I don't recommend UG. It'll get long if you don't trim it. I'd do HC (dwarf baby tears) instead. And maybe some AR mini or Ammania Bonsai (rotala indica) behind the rocks on the left middle and right sides. Blyxa also works well, as a background plant, but I've never had luck with it myself. Great start on the hardscape!
    I agree that HC would be the obvious choice for this tank but I feel like I wouldn't achieve the right kind of look since the tank is so long. I was planning on trimming the UG and keeping it pretty short to the substrate. I was actually thinking of a rotala species ! Do you have any experience with rotala willichii? I'm not sure of the spelling though

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Austyn
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
    Looks good. I have UG planted in regular ada soil with 1/2" powder topped off. Some parts the powder got moved over so its only the regular ada amazonia and the UG is still growing so it should work, but powder definitely helps with planting
    Yea I wanted powder for thag reason but I couldn't find it anywhere online for a reasonable price sp I had to go with the normal. Do you think it'd be better if I did a dry start? I havnt heard good things with DSM and ADA aqua soil though

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Austyn
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jollyscaper View Post
    This is going to be good! UG should be fine with normal Amazonia. The only problem I have seen is when it gets too dense it could float. I suppose if you have a deep enough substrate the roots can go deep and hold it down though.
    Yea I was going to keep it trimmed and low to the substrate but even then if it gets dense do you think it could still float?

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Austyn
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also got 18l of the aqua soil lol I'm hoping that's enough

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Austyn
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everything is finally here!! It was a lot different scaping with actual soil than a towel lol so here is what I like so far.

Is it ok for the ADA to be out in the air for a few days while my plants get here? Also I am just going to plant UG for now and maybe in the future change a little.

Also sorry for the terrible picture quality, it's really hard to take a picture of this tank hopefully it will look better when water is in it
    Attached Images Attached Images

26. Likes ayospider liked this post