SCAPE Member SCAPEr crazyangels's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Jorge Q
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ricardo, looks like you got some nice stock to work with. Those parents look awesome, it will be nice to see the young once colors come in.
    Jorge Q..
    Too many tanks to list, but I love Angels, Discus, shrimp and Albino Long Fin Bushynose Plecos

SCAPE Member Sr. SCAPEr rickztahone's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ricardo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyangels View Post
    Ricardo, looks like you got some nice stock to work with. Those parents look awesome, it will be nice to see the young once colors come in.
    Some colors coming in a bit on the anal and dorsal fins for the 9 bars, but not the 14 bars yet. Originally I wanted this to be an angels tank as I am sure you remember, but my buddy Al actually started downsizing his fish room and I basically took over almost his whole batch of this breeding. It is too late now to try to grow some angels alongside these as the group is too large. Next time though, I want to give angels a go.

How are your shrimp doing?
    Just trying to get my feet wet

3. Likes crazyangels liked this post
    SCAPE Member Jr. SCAPEr dodgerblew's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Rik
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Awesome Rick

5. Likes rickztahone liked this post
    SCAPE Member SCAPEr crazyangels's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Jorge Q
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man I just got to see the video, I'd been so busy at work lately. Those little beauties are killer they ought to grow nicely for you. I'm thinking the 9 bar will be leopards maybe?? the others (14 bar) most likely snakeskin like the parents, and that is why the slower growth and coloring. I remember that being the case with mine a few years back.. I might be interested in some when you let go, maybe I set aside a tank just for them in the near future.

As for the angels you'll always be welcome to some when you have room. For now enjoy that bunch..

My shrimp did well, but as the heat kept going up, Though not a heated tank, it finally caught up with the room temp and passive cooling not enough, the disappeared. I also lost an entire tank of baby plecos. I'm hoping that when I get healthy again and have time to build the next room, that I'll be able to keep the room a little cooler so I can give my shrimp a go again. I'm so bummed for all my losses lately..
    Jorge Q..
    Too many tanks to list, but I love Angels, Discus, shrimp and Albino Long Fin Bushynose Plecos

7. Likes rickztahone liked this post
    SCAPE Member 2000 posts, Star SCAPEr Bala de plata's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Rory
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Way to go Ricardo, tank looks absolutely top notch once again. Please keep me in mind when these guys are grown out, working on a rimless 60x20x22 tank soon.

9. Likes rickztahone liked this post
    SCAPE Member Just Planted lilobee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Bryan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The parents are really stunning and so is your setup. More pictures as they grow out please.

11. Likes rickztahone liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ricardo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyangels View Post
    Man I just got to see the video, I'd been so busy at work lately. Those little beauties are killer they ought to grow nicely for you. I'm thinking the 9 bar will be leopards maybe?? the others (14 bar) most likely snakeskin like the parents, and that is why the slower growth and coloring. I remember that being the case with mine a few years back.. I might be interested in some when you let go, maybe I set aside a tank just for them in the near future.

As for the angels you'll always be welcome to some when you have room. For now enjoy that bunch..

My shrimp did well, but as the heat kept going up, Though not a heated tank, it finally caught up with the room temp and passive cooling not enough, the disappeared. I also lost an entire tank of baby plecos. I'm hoping that when I get healthy again and have time to build the next room, that I'll be able to keep the room a little cooler so I can give my shrimp a go again. I'm so bummed for all my losses lately..
    When they get around the 4" mark, they will probably be ready for relocation. I won't lie to you, I got such a huge group to be selfish and pick the picks of the litter, but seeing as I have 24 (!!!), I can see how there will be many I simply can't hold on to . I will keep you in mind bud.

I agree with your assessment about the 9 bars, those are the ones I also believe will be leopards. The 14 bars will be the ones more like their parents, which ultimately is what I wanted to keep. However, I will say that almost all the 9 bar ones have better shape than the 14 bar varients.

I'm sorry to hear about your shrimp. I know for a fact that had I had shrimp this time around, they would have all been dead! My discus tank spiked to 86 this week and I had the AC on full blast all day every day. Luckily the discus don't care one bit, but I would have killed a shrimp colony easily. The temp reached 108 where I am at

Quote Originally Posted by Bala de plata View Post
    Way to go Ricardo, tank looks absolutely top notch once again. Please keep me in mind when these guys are grown out, working on a rimless 60x20x22 tank soon.
    Nice! Do you have a thread on the tank? I wouldn't mind having these babies close so that I can follow their progress . That is an awesome footprint for a discus tank too. Be warned, if you plan on doing fully planted, I'd feel a lot more comfortable if I raised them much larger than usual for you

Quote Originally Posted by lilobee View Post
    The parents are really stunning and so is your setup. More pictures as they grow out please.
    Thank you, and will do. Not sure if I shared this video somewhere else on the forum, but here is how the setup looks when newly set up. This was my first tank with a sump and I think I did rather well for my first time

13. Likes Tyrone, Aqua Jon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ricardo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    few pics from today:

SCAPE Member Jr. SCAPEr dodgerblew's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Rik
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Beautiful fish

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ricardo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rik

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Rory
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    like the video on the sump. It would be neat if you were able to do another video showing what happens when the main overflow clogs and how the system performs with the emergency drain. That is something probably most on scape are not familiar with and would be informative for them

18. Likes Aqua Jon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ricardo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    like the video on the sump. It would be neat if you were able to do another video showing what happens when the main overflow clogs and how the system performs with the emergency drain. That is something probably most on scape are not familiar with and would be informative for them
    good point. I will try to get a video of that. The failsafe features of this system is what made me go with it in the end, and seeing it in action, especially with a clog is pretty awesome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ricardo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just FYI, I made a video earlier showing the simulated clog like you suggested. Came out pretty cool. Keep an eye out for it later today.

21. Likes Bala de plata liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ricardo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As promised. Here is a video of a full siphon clog of my Bean Animal overflow system. It is a bit long, but I think it represents the overflow system well, in great detail. Enjoy:

You can view a higher quality version if you follow the link to YouTube

23. Likes Tyrone liked this post
    Super Moderator Sr. SCAPEr mlb7225's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Mike Brown
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good post, thanks for sharing the videos. What foods do you feed with by the way?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ricardo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mlb7225 View Post
    Good post, thanks for sharing the videos. What foods do you feed with by the way?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
    I feed quite a few currently. This is a typical day:

6am Homemade BeefHeart Mix with a partial floor vacuum
    10am Diskus Gold pellets
    1pm, right before I leave to work, 3 cubes of freeze dried black worms
    9:30pm when I get home I feed another large cube of beef heart
    close to 10pm I do my daily 60% water change.

On weekends, I get more feedings in because I do not work. I also incorporate these in to the mix as well. Beef Heart flakes from Bill in IE (best flakes ever)
    Also, a pellet made in Malaysia from a SimplyDiscus sponsor Forrest. Great pellets as well.

My staples however, are BH and FDBW. They get 2 feedings of at least one daily.
    Here are some pics of how they look as of yesterday:
    Just past the 3 month mark now:

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ricardo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2 months in my care:

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ricardo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm posting this more for my son's commentary rather than the fish themselves, lol.

Fish are doing great now and are all over 4" now. Some are close to pushing 5" and they are still eating like mad. I hope to update this thread right before I sell off my last group of discus to Rory

28. Likes Tyrone, ayospider, randy bak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Rory
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Haha awesome! Just showed the wife and she laughed, our daughter does the same thing to my holding tank in garage. Looking forward to the adoption lol

30. Likes ayospider liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ricardo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha, that's awesome! My older daughter has helped me with water changes in the past