Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Mike
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Need advice on setting up a shrimp tank

Hi all, I want to set up a shrimp tank, however I have limited money and experience, therefore I need your advice. As I said, I have no experience on shrimps, so I need advice on all of the following. Let me know if I am missing anything.

1. Tank size (I have a regular 10g, 15g, 20h, and 30xh)
    2. Substrate (I did some research, thinking about Fluval plant and shrimp stratum since I think it is the cheapest for plants and shrimps)
    3. Lighting (My 10g came with the hood with regular LED which is not too bright and I also have a JEBO MW-2-10W with 1 white light and 1 blue light)
    4. Plants (I have lots of Java Moss and 3 large Moss Ball)
    5. Filter (I have HOB filter rated for 60 gallon and JEBO 835 canister filter which I am planning to get a sponge guard if I decide to use it for the shrimps tank, a sponge filter rated for 80 gallon, and a small HOB filter rated for 10 gallon)
    6. Heater (I have a 50 watt and a 200 Watt, however I don't know if I can still use the 200W since look like some water went inside it even though it is fully submersible )
    7. Shrimp food (I haven't purchase any yet)
    8. Temperature (My house get pretty hot during the summer, and the water temperature range from 78-84 during hot summer days, planning to get an aquarium fan to help on the temperature issue)
    9. Using tap water with prime (I do not have additional money on RO or RO.DI system)
    9. Type of shrimps (I need shrimps that are hardy and can withstand higher temperature as well as colorful, maybe some yellow shrimps or blue neos?)

SCAPE Member Sr. SCAPEr Aquaman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Erick
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pm you

SCAPE Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr bostoneric's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Boston
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good timing... petco $1 per Gallon sale is this weekend!

1. Tank size 10G is a great size tank for shrimp.
    2. Substrate - if you plan on neos you dont need a buffering substrate.
    3. Lighting - dont need much of a light for shrimp, depends on what type of plants you want to add.
    4. Plants - java moss is plenty, i'd avoid those moss balls. they typically die off without high lighting.
    5. Filter - dont need much. a simple small HOB or air powered sponge filter (prefered) is plenty for shrimp.
    6. Heater - dont need it.
    7. Shrimp food - discobee.com
    8. Temperature- those are typically out of the range you want. 77MAX best to keep a fan running 24x7 then.
    9. Water - you can get RO water cheap at most any grocery store. $1.35 per 5G and since you have 10G tank its not much $.
    10. Type of shrimps (I need shrimps that are hardy and can withstand higher temperature as well as colorful, maybe some yellow shrimps or blue neos?)
    neos for sure, but there are no shrimp that can withstand higher temps.

I'm all for people getting into shrimp but sometimes their own restrictions dont set them up for the best results.
    seems fish are probably a better idea based off the information you provide.

4. Likes jem_xxiii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Michael
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are my recommendations

1. Tank size 10G minimum
    2. Substrate U.P. Aqua Shrimp Sand
    3. Lighting To save money if you're on a tight budget I would recommend using the lights you have stay low tech for shrimp tank for $$$ savings
    4. Plants Any and All Types of Moss, some shrimp eat certain types of moss so beaware
    5. Filter Use HOB or Canister you already have
    6. Heater Depending on where you live, heater might not be necessary, if its hot where you are get a fan, if gets cold in the room where you have the tank set up get a heater, if temp fluctuates drastically in room throughout day get both
    7. Shrimp food I recommend MK Breed, Benibachi, Ebita Breed, Azoo, SL-Aqua, Etc.
    8. Temperature Chiller would be best, but too expensive, fans drop temp 4-5 degrees so it should be good enough
    9. Using tap water with prime Its best to use RO/DI water, get a 5 gallon jug and refill at water stores, it should be cheap. Just dont forget to remineralize it.
    9. Type of shrimps I started out with neocaridina heteropoda red cherry shrimps

Some other things i recommend purchasing:

TDS meter
    GH/KH test kit also freshwater master test kit
    Water Re-mineralizer

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Mike
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for the feedback, my primary concerns now is the temperature since I have tanks with rims and it is hard to clamp the fans on the tanks and still deciding on the substrate, Ada is too expensive for me and I heard some bad reviews on the up shrimps substrate saying it is too small and it will flow around with just a bit of current and it is not as good for any plants. Can somrthing tell me if fluval plant and shrimp substrate better?

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Michael
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fluval is good too, more uniform in shape i heard.

SCAPE Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr bostoneric's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Boston
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you dont need a fancy shrimp buffering substrate with neos
    save yourself $ and get pool filter sand or something cheap.

9. Likes jem_xxiii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Mike
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for everyone's feedback. After some research, I would like to use flourite black sand since it is cheaper than PH buffering substrates, and it is good for plants. Anyone is using this for shrimps? Can you tell me if this sand is good for plants and shrimp? I will probably order tonight unless tell me it is not good.