SCAPE Member Master SCAPER Bala de plata's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Rory
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Alright, on day three and ran some tests to see where things were at before I did my third 50% WC. My RO unit hasn't even stopped running since I filled the tank, lol. Be an early change on filters this season! Haha

Ph - 5.8
    TDS - 35
    Gh - between 0 - 1
    Kh - between 0 - 1
    Ammonia 0.5-1ppm
    Nitrite 0ppm
    Nitrate 10-20ppm

Looks like my seeded bio filter is taking care of things well enough, but WC will continue as normal. Water is still pretty clear, nice to see my experiments with my "homebrew" powersand has not made any undesired impacts on my water quality. I did decide to bump up the GH. Scaled out the ratio to the gram to make the GH a solid 1 with some Seachem Equilibrium. TDS went up to around 65.

Everything is looking ok so far, Tonina have grown or maybe stretched a bit as well, hard to say. Hottonia has alot of new buds. Aromatica is standing up and spreading out. Some red tints showing up in the center of some of the blyxa. The Hy Pin, R Tornado, and 049 look about the same.

6. Thanks Zenzu thanked for this post
    Likes Zenzu liked this post
    SCAPE Member SCAPEr Hunterxzach14z's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Zachary
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    absolutely gorgeous tank! been following this thread and been itching to see what happens next! lol like my own little tv show :p... anyways absolutely beautiful love the scape! and i am itching to see more! Oh and thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us

8. Thanks Bala de plata thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Rory
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thank you Zachary and everyone else for the kind comments.

I am by no means an expert, I am just enjoying pushing myself on this endeavor and hoping everything works out as planned. I will keep this thread updated as much as possible, appreciate the feedback.

10. Thanks Zenzu, Hunterxzach14z thanked for this post
    Likes Zenzu, Hunterxzach14z liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Jason
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

12. Likes Bala de plata liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Prasoon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rory, I would love to come and see your tank someday if I get time between my job and kids

14. Likes Bala de plata liked this post
    Banned Super Duper Master Scaper xmas_one's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    dan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bala de plata View Post
    Thank you Zachary and everyone else for the kind comments.

I am by no means an expert, I am just enjoying pushing myself on this endeavor and hoping everything works out as planned. I will keep this thread updated as much as possible, appreciate the feedback.
    Cmon Rory, I think you know a lil' somthin' somethin'. Can't wait to see this thing mature.

16. Likes Bala de plata liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Rory
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ya, I cant wait either. It's so hard not screwing around with it more and more. I have pulled a few small pieces of wood out of the right side, the big piece is still there. I just did not like the flow of the small pieces that were not part of the large piece. But now its out of balance, trying to be patient and let some plants grow in or choose a different group of plants for that area. Did confine some plants and define there area a little more while adding two more plant types. Wishing I had done the layout of the tonina's a little different, by putting them in the back and letting them have room in the front to create a cascade of height from back to front. Not really digging where the tornado is, but gonna leave it to see how it comes in. Trimmed the blyxa and some of the hottonia already...

In the end I only used about 14 liters of AS and I used seeded bio media. Been doing daily testing and ammonia spiked from the first to second day to about 2-3ppm which is still not bad, everyday has been getting lower and as of last night was .25 to .5 range. Nitrite has never indicated since day one. Nitrate went from 20ppm on day 3 to 5ppm last night. So it seems the AS is still leaching but the bio is converting quickly. I noticed diatoms starting last night, which is a lttle quick but probably in relation to the nitrates. Have been keeping light period to 7-8 hour periods. CO2 has been kept in the 15-20 range, once the 7 day daily WC schedule is done I am going to start blasting CO2 using both the inline and diffuser and up the light to 10 hrs + depending on how things look. Want to create a large growth spurt so that everything can be nic'd quickly and get things to bush out low hopefully.

Thinking oto's and amano's next week sometime. My Altums have come in and are doing QT with the discus breeder that picked them up for me. They are BABIES... It has made me start to rethink my full plans on the plants a little, not sure what if anything I will change. I am able to keep the water successful soft (Gh) with near 0 Kh and a ph around 5.8. However I am now getting concerned with a ph swing possible in the evenings. Thinking I will start filtering with peat once I am done with the 1 month Seachem Renew Chem Filtration (like carbon but not). I normally do not like the "tint" but I am thinking with these fish, dimming light mod, and the tonina/hottonina with there bright green it could give a very cool softwater amazonia feel. So, I think that's the plan for now

18. Thanks Zenzu thanked for this post
    Likes Zenzu liked this post
    June 2013 Donor of the Month SCAPEr MLB's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Mia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow that is beautiful. I love the inspiration for this tank layout.

Just by following this thread I have learned great tricks that I am sure most people know:
    1) A bucket under your canister filter will stop the really bad words that come out of my mouth because I forgot the towels, again.
    2) styrofoam rocks as a test tube holder.

Please keep up the photos I can't wait to see what other tricks this newbie can learn.
    If you do not live on the edge you are taking up to much room.

20. Thanks Bala de plata thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Rory
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    And the styrofoam helps you see the true color a little easier

It's funny the things people find or notice when I dont even think about them anymore, lol. Glad I could help

22. Thanks Zenzu thanked for this post
    Likes Zenzu, MLB liked this post
    SCAPE Member Sr. SCAPEr angeltre's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Angel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "A bucket under your canister filter will stop the really bad words that come out of my mouth because I forgot the towels, again."

I noticed this too and it is on my list to buy one. Great idea!

24. Likes Bala de plata liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Rory
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Photo update..

26. Likes ayospider, xmas_one, MLB, swoof, prasoonv liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Prasoon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's going great Rory!

28. Likes Bala de plata liked this post
    SCAPE Member Just Planted ghostz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Brian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice aquascape design

30. Likes Bala de plata liked this post
    On Duty Super Duper Master Scaper Zenzu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Carlo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eww those Toninas are sooooo gross... you should bring those over so I can dispose of them for you

32. Likes Hunterxzach14z, MLB, Bala de plata, swoof liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Rory
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ya, just terrible. Think I'll start over... ha

Need a phone with a better camera, everything gets a little washed out with the brightness but not bad close ups.

Started having a little more trouble with algae than I was comfortable with last week, why there is added power heads and a Mag HOT on it. Needed to increase the flow/circulation, which I had hoped the 2075 eheim would have done, its the biggest model without going to the REALLY BIG ONES. I think the jet pipe on the SS pipes will help. Also noticed Spirogyra at the end of the first week, got me very concerned as this a very troublesome algae so that I have read. Read up on the latest API Algaefix solutions talked about on TPT and even bought a small bottle just in case. However it has since taken a nose dive and is disappearing on its own, which is odd since mere mortals should not have such capability... lol

Other than that, things are going well. Added some mini and regular Alternanthera reineckii to the mix near the Hottonia and behind blyxa. Aponogoten Red 'Crispus' are doing well and adding a lear every two days it seems. After I pulled these from my grow tank I realized that I got off shoots when they first bloomed in since putting into the tank. So I could have some baby Apon's available soon. We shall see.

thanks for looking

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Rory
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Installed SS skimmer pipes finally, pretty happy with them. Also switched from glass beetle co2 diffuser to co2 reactor.

35. Likes ayospider liked this post
    SCAPE Member Sr. SCAPEr angeltre's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Angel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How are those panda cory adapting? Can't wait to see the video of them schooling on the bottom of the tank.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Rory
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Two did not make it for some reason, can't figure out why. I caught the Amano's pulling the two weak ones off into the bushes and the wife was cringing. So I euthanized them quickly. The rest are doing great, very active all night. And the sand is pitted everywhere which is awesome from them scavenging. This will be a great benefit to the scape to keep the sand in a constant turnover so to speak. I would like to get some more so the school is larger
    Last edited by Bala de plata; 07-22-2013 at 09:18 AM. Reason: spell check challenged..

38. Likes swoof liked this post