Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Jason
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

90g Cliffside Paludarium Build Thread

Hey all, I am relatively new to planted tanks. I have experience with turtle tanks and recently finished a backyard pond (to house the growing turtles) but I wanted to build more of a show tank for our living room. I have been really inspired by all of the amazing planted tanks and figured what I currently lack in aquatic gardening knowledge, I would try to make up for with a showy hardscape in a paludarium style build. I am posting what I have of my build pics. There are points where my hands were too mucked up with silicone or expanding foam and/or I was too lost in the build to document with pics so I apologize in advance for any gaps in the construction journal. All criticism and suggestions are most welcome, especially for planting ideas for the aquatic portion! I could use your help.

My hope is to create the appearance of a cliff with land mass jutting out above and beach area below. My thought was to create a bonsai forest on top of the cliff on the land portion. I am not sure of options for any species that can interact with the land section without escaping and would love your input on this...

Stats:

Tank dimensions- 90 gallon- 47" x 22" D x 19.5" H
    Light- Medium-high LEDs though I have not measured PAR levels- about 12" above water level
    Substrate- Medium Sand on the bottom with some Microbe-Lift Aquatic Plant Media. I used some spare Fluval Stratum and top soil for the land area
    Pressurized CO2 injection
    Filtration is via a 45g diy sump with separate refugium
    I am also using a MistKing misting system for the emersed plants/bonsai

Background- These are real rocks that are foamed together with black expanding foam to create a nice stable cliff-like appearance (no worry of falling rocks here). I got these from AB Bonsai in City of Industry sold under the name Gray Yin stone...much cheaper than Seiryu stone but looks identical to my eye. I'm sure I heard about them from one of the threads here, so thanks! One advantage of this build style is that you don't need large heavy rocks that can stand on their own as in Iwagumi layouts because, as you will see, I attached all of the rocks together with expanding foam to make the cliff.

Rocks were chosen to fit together and then foamed. One or two large rocks are used as the focal rocks and thinner rocks are used surrounding these to 'bind' them together. Sand is piled up initially and pressed into foam before it fully sets to give a more natural appearance. I like the way this has turned out so far. Will let you know how it stands up over time.

I used styrofoam to support the rocks while the foam cured and then removed it. The styrofoam was replaced with a PVC and egg crate false bottom to support the land area.

Immediately after initial cliff build

A couple of pics showing how thin the cliff face is, leaving more room for swimming.

View from behind showing the foam 'seams' that completely separate the land section.

Outlet plumbing was carried via tubing behind the cliff wall, plumbed through a couple of small holes created in the cliff, and sealed around with foam.

The land portion was built over an egg crate/PVC false bottom. I first used a layer of landscape weed barrier fabric for the portion of the submerged cliff on which I wanted to plant submerged/emersed plants to allow for flow in this area. For the areas I wanted to keep dry, I lined with rubber EPDM pond liner and siliconed this to the back of the rock and to the shelf and back/side walls. This was first layered with gravel for overflow drainage followed by Fluval Stratum and topsoil. I'm sorry I wish I had taken pics of this part but my hands were black with foam and I was a little too immersed in the build and neglected the camera.

Here is a pic of the pond liner and gravel/soil in place and water fill test. You can see exposed liner in the background.

Finally, rocks are filled in on top to fill out the cliff/water transition. Initial planting with HC at the water line. I experimented with some moss to make sure I could keep it sufficiently moist and not waterlogged with the MistKing mister before investing in a selection of mosses for the land portion.

I have 2 standard MistKing nozzles plumbed through the shelf above the tank. They give a really nice wide and fine spray pattern but 2 are not quite enough to cover the 4ft length of the tank. I may need another one before this build is through...

First Attempt at Planting the Land Area. My plan is to extend the bonsai 'forest' with several more group bonsai plantings. The bonsai is a Trident Maple forest which is technically not appropriate for indoor use and, as a supposedly responsible hobbyist, I will faithfully have to relocate it outside for the winter most likely. I am looking for a better indoor species to use for this layout (ficus, umbrella plant maybe). The remaining plantings are a variety of mosses that enjoy bright light. So far, the mister has been working beautifully to keep the mosses looking fresh. I plan to fill out the land area as it matures and I can see what does well here.

Some close up views

And close up views of the aquatic section

Here is what is under the hood.

Current Flora-
    E. tenellus, microsword, a nice little crypt, anubias nana petite. I am looking for some suggestions for what will maintain the feel of a coastal shrub/grassy look so thinking I will avoid stems and broad leafed plants. Maybe some mosses and a slow growing carpeting foreground species.

Current Fauna- some colored danios and skirt tetras (I know, I know...I'm a horrible human being. My kids picked them out before I knew what I was really getting), a couple of yellow lab cichlids, some Endler's.

The land plants have started to grow out even after a week. The Maple is starting to bud with some new growth after a pruning last week.

Mosses are starting to thicken and gain some height

And the emersed HC is starting to fill in

Well, that's where it stands so far. I have just placed a handful of Seachem root tabs. I will have to hit you guys up for some the diy tabs since I am too lazy to be a mixologist myself. Anyways, thanks for checking out the build and I would welcome your input.

Jason

SCAPE Member Sr. SCAPEr smracer31's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Jon
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is awesome!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kale
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So awesome!

SCAPE Board Member 2000 posts, Star SCAPEr jnm1978's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    ADA Jon
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Amazing!
    ADA Room Journal
    ADA 120H,120P,90H,90P,60P,60F X2,30C, Mini L
    Shrimp Rack

"It looks like all of the nature died." --some little girl

SCAPE Member Sr. SCAPEr VNGHOST's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Vu
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that is pretty awesome. did u do the install yourself?

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Billy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, absolutely stunning. Great work. A master piece.
    Semper Fortis

On Duty 3000 posts, Grand Master SCAPER Zenzu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Carlo
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely Amazing. I might just keep my 45-F replica to do this... haha

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    octavio
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow u just took the cool factor to a hole new level that is amazing dam great job!!!

SCAPE Member Jr. SCAPEr lonesomeshark's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Jason
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your comments guys.

Vu, are you asking if I installed the cabinetry myself? The answer to that is no. I leave that kind of finish work to the professionals. I did however do the installation for the tank build myself (plumbing, electrical, fans, etc.) but I think that is probably no different than most everyone on this forum

Zenzu, you will out-do this one with your 45 I am sure

Now, don't just stand there...who's gonna help me with some plant suggestions?

President of the United SCAPES of America 10,000 posts, I am legend! Neon Shrimp's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Richard
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Magnificent scape Jason, even more so now that you have shared your process with us. You have raised the bar!

Thank you.

"Support Your Club":
    Please Sign Up to Host a Meeting (CLICK HERE)!

SCAPE Member Sr. SCAPEr jem_xxiii's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Jay
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thats awesome stuff man. when i first looked at the pics I was like woahhh thats a lot of seiryu, fooled me!

SCAPE Member Jr. SCAPEr rocksmom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Stacy Lambert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holy cow that's awesome.

13. Likes ghavoc liked this post
    SCAPE Member Just Planted ghostz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Brian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! Amazing!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Jason
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you are a crafty guy. stunning tank

SCAPE Member Just Planted tizzite's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Tommy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome man. This build is insane. I couldn't believe you were 'relatively new' to planted tanks, but then you mentioned your experience in ponds- I can see how that expertise helped. I like how different disciplines introduced innovation- I have not seen a rock wall sump like that in a planted tank yet. At least, done this well.

The stone selection is top notch. I really need to go to AB Bonsai and pick some up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Tuan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow. that such a wonderful cliff

SCAPE Member Just Planted gg_kob's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    dave pidley
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stunning!

SCAPE Member Jr. SCAPEr lonesomeshark's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Jason
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tizzite View Post
    Awesome man. This build is insane. I couldn't believe you were 'relatively new' to planted tanks, but then you mentioned your experience in ponds- I can see how that expertise helped. I like how different disciplines introduced innovation- I have not seen a rock wall sump like that in a planted tank yet. At least, done this well.

The stone selection is top notch. I really need to go to AB Bonsai and pick some up.
    The experience building the pond helped a ton...to see how foam could allow you to create a real structure out of piecing rocks together. Also, I had built a couple of turtle tanks with basking "land areas" using cork bark and it gave me a good sense of how to angle and 'hide' the construction so that you're not seeing unsightly silicone through the glass, etc. Influences from other 'disciplines' definitely brings a new eye and that's why it's fun for me to try different things.

AB Bonsai is a gold mine but not for all stone. They have big sacks of stone that the owner was nice enough to dump out and let me comb through to find the pieces I wanted. Lots of smaller pieces and the thin stuff. For the bigger Iwagumi style show pieces it will be hit or miss and you will likely have to buy seiryu through the usual suppliers. CK Fish World is the cheapest I've seen for those.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jem_xxiii View Post
    thats awesome stuff man. when i first looked at the pics I was like woahhh thats a lot of seiryu, fooled me!
    It looks just like seiryu- I have a few pieces of seiryu from another tank in there and it looks just the same. I'm no geologist but just saying...
    For about 100 lbs of rock for this build, you would need a mortgage for seiryu!

20. Likes jem_xxiii liked this post
    SCAPE Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr sc91006's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Sidney
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really awesome build, I especially like the selection and placement of the different mosses along the top right area. Those round mounds really looks like how nature would have it. Great job, can you list all the different mosses that was used? Also, how often do the misters go off. As far as additional plants maybe more Anubias petite, narrow leaf java fern or trident java fern to fill in some of the open spaces.

22. Likes sparkyx326 liked this post
    SCAPE Member Sr. SCAPEr VNGHOST's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Vu
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The real seiryu is not allowed to be sold anymore. What we call seiryu out here is the gray yin stone u got from ab bonsai