User Tag List

Thread: Earthquakes and anchoring (again)

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Joe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Earthquakes and anchoring (again)

I've been doing a little research about anchoring larger tank stands to the wall. I have a 65 gallon almost here.

This was a helpful SCAPE thread: http://scapeclub.org/forum/showthrea...ght=earthquake

I think that the opinion from reading various SCAPE posts is pretty split on whether to anchor or not anchor? Most of the posts are from 2011 and before.

I recalled recently seeing a Totally Unprepared segment on TV below. I know though that the stands in the video are terrible and would probably be knocked over in the smallest quake.

Anyone have any comments if anchoring the tank/stand like in that video above with the "bookcase straps" is best even though it's NOT very attractive!?! Anyone have any better ideas?

I live in a typical LA 1970s apartment building on the second floor and get a lot of shaking even in mild earthquakes (the collapse-susceptible type with carports underneath of the building). I also remember my folk's pool during the Northridge quake. It was sloshing out 4-5 feet high. Worried about this new tank and the next major quake here...

Super Moderator 3000 posts, Grand Master SCAPER shawndoc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Shawn
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm curious about that video, how did they secure the tank? I can see the straps in the wall above the tank, but don't see a strap running around the outside of the tank to hold it in place.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Joe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shawndoc View Post
    I'm curious about that video, how did they secure the tank? I can see the straps in the wall above the tank, but don't see a strap running around the outside of the tank to hold it in place.
    I believe it's just these furniture straps:
    http://www.amazon.com/Quakehold-4164...e+straps+white

However, I decided to try and develop something that will hold my tank, but be the most invisible possible. I attached a terrible sketch of my plan.

I am going to ask Santa Monica Plastics to custom make two clear acrylic brackets that I am going to silicone to the back top edge of my tank in the corners. I am then going to use half of the commercially-available 7" steel furniture cables to attach the custom clips to the wall. Essentially, instead of using one of the brackets from the commercially-available product, I will secure it to the tank using the brackets I am thinking of having made. Yes, you may be able to see the cables through the back of the tank, but it's the least visually-distracting idea I have had so far. I want something because I don't want to risk it.

--edit: My tank will also be on the way from the bedroom. Should it fall over in an earthquake, it would mean walking over broken glass (think Annie Lennox ) and water.--

Attachment 7764
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CACrimson; 02-05-2013 at 10:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Shawn
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, doesn't seem like adhesive would hold that well in a real big quake.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Joe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shawndoc View Post
    Wow, doesn't seem like adhesive would hold that well in a real big quake.
    I agree, which had me questioning my "acrylic bracket on glass tank with silicone" idea, but I suppose something is better than nothing in those circumstances. It's like a seatbelt may not save your life in an accident, but your chances are far better than with none at all =)
    Last edited by CACrimson; 02-05-2013 at 10:54 PM.

Pew Pew Lazor 5000 posts, Officially addicted to SCAPE! Zenzu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    BUCK
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Note taken fish tanks are completely fine in a 6.9-8.0 earth quake range, but once you get above 12.0 like at the end of the video where the tank fell over you got some problems. More importantly though if an earthquake strong enough to knock over tank like that happened you'd probably have a lot of other things to worry about like your entire house being demolished. I doubt while laying buried in a couple feet of rubble you'll be thinking well I'm glad I installed those furniture straps on my tank. Also they secured the tank incorrectly you'd typically want the top of the stand secured firmly to some wall studs using brackets or eq straps.
    THE CAKE IS A LIE!

7. Likes swoof liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Shawn
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still should probably secure my shrimp rack. Its 7' tall. Just to be safe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Joe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, I have found a lot of people holding the same opinion. I am one of those people though that has everything possible secured and doubly-secured for an earthquake. (I even have hard hats under the bed!) I'd rather not have to walk over anything broken if the seconds to get out of my home make the difference. In a larger 9.0 (2 minutes+), I'll most likely have the opportunity to get out of my home before it came crashing down, which means I don't want anything in my way on the way out. But, then again I always try to live by "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." =) I know it may not help, but I think I am going to try to secure my new tank, just from a personal safety perspective -- not trying to save the tank, but myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenzu View Post
    Note taken fish tanks are completely fine in a 6.9-8.0 earth quake range, but once you get above 12.0 like at the end of the video where the tank fell over you got some problems. More importantly though if an earthquake strong enough to knock over tank like that happened you'd probably have a lot of other things to worry about like your entire house being demolished. I doubt while laying buried in a couple feet of rubble you'll be thinking well I'm glad I installed those furniture straps on my tank. Also they secured the tank incorrectly you'd typically want the top of the stand secured firmly to some wall studs using brackets or eq straps.

Pew Pew Lazor 5000 posts, Officially addicted to SCAPE! Zenzu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    BUCK
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah dude handle it. I'm completely content with items crashing down on me while I dart for the door. I live life on the edge man... ON THE EDGE!
    THE CAKE IS A LIE!

11. Likes AquaDude, Buck, CACrimson, Francisco liked this post
    SCAPE Member Sr. SCAPEr xpistalpetex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Peter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    interesting

SCAPE Member Sr. SCAPEr Shortfin's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Hugh
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CACrimson View Post
    I agree, which had me questioning my "acrylic bracket on glass tank with silicone" idea, but I suppose something is better than nothing in those circumstances. It's like a seatbelt may not save your life in an accident, but your chances are far better than with none at all =)
    Acrylic and silicone doesn't stick well. Are you going to wrap silicone all around the acrylic bracket to the glass?

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Joe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the warning. I considered this earlier and am still mulling my options for adhering the brackets to the display tank. I think I may try the silicone or use clear adhesive strips and try to get the custom bracket to be a slip fit onto the tank. I am not looking for permanent adhesion, but simply something to prevent the possibility of the tank tipping from the front of the stand.

It's one of those things that will have to go untested and I will only know if it really works when there is a major quake here.

I know others posters mentioned that the tank stand should be bracketed to the wall, but my main objective is to keep the tank from tipping over, not keep the stand from moving completely. I want it to be able to move a little. I have noticed that most earthquake accessories are designed with a little give to them, like most modern day construction. Just a little, but not too much. I do plan on securing the stand to the wall, but using this type of earthquake accessory, through the back of the stand which will also allow it to sway some: http://secure-quick.com/woodstud.html

Quote Originally Posted by Shortfin View Post
    Acrylic and silicone doesn't stick well. Are you going to wrap silicone all around the acrylic bracket to the glass?

SCAPE Member 5000 posts, Officially addicted to SCAPE! swoof's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ben
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenzu View Post
    Yeah dude handle it. I'm completely content with items crashing down on me while I dart for the door. I live life on the edge man... ON THE EDGE!
    but do your wife and children?