Thread: Could you ID this fissidens?

SCAPE Member 2000 posts, Star SCAPEr sayurasem's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Raymond

Could you ID this fissidens?

I would like to know what specific species is the mini fissidens I have. And is this fissidens fontanus? (the bigger one)

I got both fissidens from separate scape meetings...

SCAPE Member Master SCAPER chris.rivera3's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Chris
    That doesnt look like mini Fissidens to me. Can anyone confirm if that is real mini Fissidens? All the mini Fissidens I've seen are smaller and more compact

Admin 2000 posts, Star SCAPEr cGaR's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Chris

On Duty 3000 posts, Grand Master SCAPER Zenzu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Carlo
    Yeah both look like fontanus possibly just grown in different water conditions or in different growth periods.
    Welcome to the Internet

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Carlo
    fissidens zippelianus is a mini type
    Fissidens Nobilis is a mini type

There are a few more but these two are the most common mini types.
    Welcome to the Internet

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Raymond
    Ah okay, I always think the smaller one is mini because it has shorter "stems" and much more bushier than the other one.
    As you can see the last picture of fissidens has more longer stems than the first picture.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Raymond
    Okay, I just did a searched on google on fissidens fontanus. Here's an example of my fissidens.

They are both classified as fissidens fontanus, but see the difference? The 1st picture shows the fronds is bending down and much shorter than picture 2. The 2nd picture shows straight fronds and has much longer stems than picture 1.

SCAPE Member Just Planted Chad320's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Chad Whittaker
    Yes, the fissindens are so close to each other that the only way to really ID them is to have them grown in the same conditions in the same tank. Fiss mini is just a tiny version of regular fontanus. F. geppii is the only one that really looks different than the other ones. F. nobilis for me gets very long and wide fronds for me. Up to 1/2" wide and easily 2" long.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Raymond
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad320 View Post
    Yes, the fissindens are so close to each other that the only way to really ID them is to have them grown in the same conditions in the same tank. Fiss mini is just a tiny version of regular fontanus. F. geppii is the only one that really looks different than the other ones. F. nobilis for me gets very long and wide fronds for me. Up to 1/2" wide and easily 2" long.
    So there is such thing as mini fontanus? do know the scientific name? Because I'm looking to buy more of this fissidens but I need to get the right one.

Since this thread up again, heres a comparison.

2 Fissidens Fontanus on the left, 2 unknown Fissidens on the right

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Carlo
    What you have on the right appears to be the same size/shape/growth as what was sold to me as fissidens fontanus.
    Welcome to the Internet

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Carlo
    Please point out the mini fissidens for me.

Welcome to the Internet

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Carlo

Red = Fissidens Fontanus grown in 7.4 ph hard water, but has been moved from tank to tank varying in hardness and ph levels. Both are the same plant in different growth stages.
    Yellow = The same Fissidens Fontanus grown in a tank with high co2, medium/high light, roughly same water conditions as above, although this fissidens has not moved from tank to tank.
    Purple = This surely has to be mini fissidens... Nope it's the Fissidens that got trimmed and propagated to get the other fissidens listed above. Grown in soft acidic water, low co2, low light, 0 ferts it maintains this size and grows uniform.
    Welcome to the Internet

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Chad Whittaker
    Yes, I honestly dont think Mini Fissidens is a different Sp. its just grown in better conditions/lighting/ferts/Co2. Its a sales ploy if you asked me. I feel the same about Riccia too. I can turn any regular Riccia into mini and any mini into regular fairly easily. I am a moss collector with 22 varieties of mosses/liverworts and ive never been able to prove the mini fiss is actually different.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Justin
    The difference between Mini and normal are apparent when they are both grown in same parameters and retain totally different sizes. Mini riccia and regular are totally different and mini will stay small in "bad" conditions but regular will never get "smaller" in ideal conditions. Same applies to fissidens and mini.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Raymond
    So what is the key to grow smaller fissidens? It's been 1 month since original thread and both fissidens grows differently. They are in same tank 6.4ph, 5GH, 0KH, no co2, pfertz 1 pump every two days, 8hrs light.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Chad Whittaker
    Quote Originally Posted by RcScRs View Post
    The difference between Mini and normal are apparent when they are both grown in same parameters and retain totally different sizes. Mini riccia and regular are totally different and mini will stay small in "bad" conditions but regular will never get "smaller" in ideal conditions. Same applies to fissidens and mini.
    Can anyone prove this? I have yet to see it. Ive bought mini several times and frankly got tired of wasting my money. I dont mean to sound jerkish but I would like to see it and know why its so hard to get the real thing rather than being scammed over and over? I can post up regular and mini from several different scapes and I dont see a difference other than conditions.

SCAPE Member Pro SCAPEr bostoneric's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Boston
    i have a mini version (not sure which) and its a completely obvious difference.
    someday i'll post up some pictures of the difference in the leaves.

but i'm pretty sure its not a mini fissidens, looks like a mini geppi (sp) or something.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Raymond
    Quote Originally Posted by bostoneric View Post
    i have a mini version (not sure which) and its a completely obvious difference.
    someday i'll post up some pictures of the difference in the leaves.

but i'm pretty sure its not a mini fissidens, looks like a mini geppi (sp) or something.
    could you post a picture of your normal fissidens fontanus next to your mini side by side? (just a strand of the fissidens)

The thing is, I got both fissidens from this club auction meeting. Someone gotta have the same kind as mine and help ID on the scientific name