PDA

View Full Version : what spec light to bring out the blue in fish?

Shawn
08-15-2010, 10:39 PM
i need to replace a few bulbs on my coralife. and i was wondering what kind of spec of light brings out the blue in some fish. for example cardinals and congo's tetra's are there a specific light that shines on them that makes there blue pop out more? i currently have 6700k for the light. is there a spec that gives out more blue to the fish and not make the whole tank color blue? i just want the fish blue to come out more not so the tank...also ok for plants to grow.

would this be a good bulb that brings out more blue to the fish? its 65k and it says it gives out 03/blue. sorry im a newbie when it comes to lighting.

http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/product_info.php?cPath=71_45_122_133&products_id=1642

xmas_one
08-15-2010, 10:49 PM
That's a pretty impossible question to answer. All bulbs have different spectral outputs regardless of the advertised color temperature. What you really want to find are bulbs that have a high CRI (color rendering index). I run 4200K 92CRI halides on my main tank and the blues are quite vivid. So you can't just say "use a higher K bulb for more blues". That being said, I'll completely contradict myself and say you might want to try a 8000K~10000K bulb to see if you get more blue.

Shawn
08-16-2010, 07:58 PM
thanks for the help