PDA

View Full Version : Request for some help on the Behemoth, free ADA soil

plantbrain
04-07-2007, 11:20 AM
This next week, Thur evening through Monday afternoon, I'll be removing the ADA soil and replacing with the Eco Complete. Obviously I'm going to have a lot of left over ADA soil.

So you can get 200-300lbs or so, whatever you can fit into a large trash can, load into your car etc.

We are simply sucking it out and off down the side of the hill, there it can be dewatered and shoveled into a large tote bin or buckets etc.

This stuff runs about 35-40$ per bag. So 100-200lbs is worth quite a bit.
Free food also for the time you are there.

No real painful work, that's my job, but handing stuff in/out etc
There maybe other freebie items available.

Give me a call or email me at tcbiii@yahoo.com for more info.

Thanks,
Tom Barr

paradise
04-07-2007, 11:45 AM
Tom, a couple of questions.

1. Why ? that seems an obvious one. What's the reasoning behind the switch?

2. Need a photographer to document the changes? I know a guy :) :)

riva
04-07-2007, 01:08 PM
If you were closer I'd be all over this... since i have no money, and need some kind of substrate to get going. :p

paradise
04-07-2007, 02:19 PM
Eric, it's a sick deal, find a way to get there :)

slickwillislim
04-07-2007, 02:31 PM
Thats a great deal. I can't imagine how much aquasoil you have in that tank. I guess it breaks down too much for a tank that size.

Its also a great opportunity to check out the behind the scenes of a large planted tank. Its pretty impressive.

This is my spring break and I think we are going to look at colleges so I don't think I can help. I don't know what I would do with a 100lbs of aquasoil anyways. I guess I could redo my 60g and 29g with aquasoil...

Good luck. Hope the Eco complete works out well.

slickwillislim
04-07-2007, 02:33 PM
BTW this is in the beverly hills not by davis. Not that far from west LA.

Haeun
04-07-2007, 03:20 PM
Holy ****. If I had a car, I'd even ditch class Thursday - Monday just to get my hands on it. GAHHH, whyyyyyyy? :( What a tease.

Man, sometimes, I think I should've gone to UCLA instead.

turbomkt
04-07-2007, 03:24 PM
You all are wimps. I'm considering flying home from Virginia to do this ;)

anonymity
04-07-2007, 04:52 PM
I live in Orange County and I'd be willing to help out. I'm free thursdays after 5pm and fridays after 8am

Haeun
04-07-2007, 05:25 PM
Lucky you. :D Want to donate or sell some for cheap? http://209.85.12.234/7300/50/emo/icon_twisted.gif

Maybe I should take the train up home... http://209.85.12.234/7300/50/emo/icon_twisted.gif

boink
04-07-2007, 05:58 PM
hey Tom, im about 5 mintues from beverly hills and can help out fri-sun...ill pm you for details

frozenoak
04-07-2007, 06:12 PM
I believe last time we made a club function out of one of these. Any, chance of that happening again? I'm not sure I would know how to get back up there. lol

dale

riva
04-07-2007, 08:43 PM
Oh I thought this was in Davis. I'd love to get a little something for my 15 and 40 if you're going to be working on this thing Sunday. I'm not far from Beverly, I'll email you.

plantbrain
04-08-2007, 10:39 PM
Hi all, yes, for some help, you get it free.
Likely more than enough for everyone.

The client hates the stuff and for this tank, I agree with him.
He was shocked when I did, but from many perspectives, this product sucks on such a large tank.

I know, Richard knows, and so does Juan, we all have spent a lot of time trying to get the water optically clean, we have tossed water changes, clarifyers, 4 high pressure micron filters, and it is still cloudy, hazy, mulmy, detritus on everything all the **** time.

There is virtuually nothing that can be done that's realistic, so may as well get it done sooner rather than later. That will address the mulm as the source is not the wood, it's the soil.

Working on the tank is a PITA if you uproot anything or move things or want to hop in and stand on the soil. That is going to be a big headache for the client for years.

When folks make a lot of $, they should have things work right and the way they should.

4ft-12 ft of depth is a lot and the ADA AS never has gotten clear after nearly 6 months. We have about 3000-4000gph, going through here.

In a small 200 gallon tank, the cleaning it much easier, the flow much higher relative to the tank volume and visual viewing distance is much smaller.

Pruning is easier and more precise, less disturbance.

As far as nutrients, well, EC is fine and the guy does 2x a week 50% water changes anyways and has EI going.

EI is not the problem though, the ADA AS is.
It's the cause of the murky water, the cleaning and the covering of the HC and hair grass etc. Richard's never been able to get the the HC going because it became covered with detritus. It might be due to tehytdrostatic pressure at 4ft of depth, but I sort of doubt that.

Hair grass grows fine though.
It's replaces the HC in a large section and we will redo it again with that, Richard's learning, many folks want all the hard to grow hassle plants at first, now he just wants lower maintenance plants.

Regards,
Tom Barr

plantbrain
04-10-2007, 05:39 PM
BTW, if some folks that have been here in the past can help explain it better than I how to get here, that would be super!!

Regards,
Tom Barr

Cassie
04-11-2007, 04:55 PM
I'd love to be able to come over and help for a few hours one of those nights... are you going to post directions/meeting place/time/etc as it gets closer?

Gomer
04-11-2007, 09:57 PM
Tom, While my weekdays are usually totally busy, I may be able to swing some time this weekend. What does the weekend schedule look like?

Engold
04-12-2007, 02:19 PM
I'm interested in helping to get a portion of ADA soil...... Pick the day and details

Late!

cwlodarczyk
04-12-2007, 09:52 PM
Guys,

I'm not entirely sure that Tom checks this board on a regular basis - I would suggest that anybody who would like to visit this tank contact him on the PT forums.

Also, for the sake of being less of a burden on the owner, it would be great if people could get together into 1 or 2 groups and have a couple of larger visits rather than each showing up one at a time. Just a suggestion...

frozenoak
04-12-2007, 11:18 PM
I will be leaving work at 4pm friday and I will be stopping in Huntington Beach for a short "traffic jam" break. I will be stopping at BrewBakers if anybody wants to join me for a snack. The address is 7242 Heil (corner of Heil and Gothard). I will have access to a wireless node there and will check to see if anybody posts a desire to meet me there. I will most likely leave BrewBakers at 6pm.

Adrielme
04-13-2007, 12:55 AM
Hey Tom, hope you got my message. I'm more than willing to help out. Let me know what works.

plantbrain
04-13-2007, 09:11 AM
Hi all,
I'm without a phone:(

I think I have the wrong address.
It's Beverley Ridge Terrace, BH 90210

I think that should give directions.

When you get to the gate, tell the guard that you are here for the Scnieder's residence and the aquarium.

Regards,
Tom Barr

derick2724
05-04-2007, 03:17 PM
hey r u free this Saturday, i'll come and help u get those 200lbs of ADA out on my truck...is it still available?

turbomkt
05-04-2007, 03:26 PM
A couple weeks late, Derick. Already done.

derick2724
05-04-2007, 06:08 PM
awwww man....april i was on the plantedtank.net i just found out about this web recently