PDA

View Full Version : Hey Hey Hey

scapeArtist
04-02-2007, 03:27 PM
Hello Everyone.

I am new to aquatic plants and just got a 46 gallon tank.

Here is a picture of my tank. Any advice would be great.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dondonv/album?.dir=/3743re2&.src=ph&.tok=phrkCiGBDisGzNk.

Thanks.

paradise
04-02-2007, 03:33 PM
Kona, welcome to SCAPE.

Nice start for a tank, but looks like it needs more plants. The saying is this. You can have a tank with Plants, OR you can have a Planted Tank. :)

cwlodarczyk
04-02-2007, 03:40 PM
Ed,

Everybody has to start somewhere....

Except you maybe, but I'm starting to think you were born full grown - goatee already in place. ;)

FastJaggerSC
04-02-2007, 03:46 PM
hey Kona,

that looks pro bro! keep us updated w/ the progress.

scapeArtist
04-02-2007, 04:01 PM
Thanks BJ Penn.
Ed, I just planted these plants over the weekend. Should I wait to see how they fare before planting more? I do not have c02 setup or anything fancy.
Here are the inhabitants of the tank:
37 fish (gourami, tetra, guppy, chinese aglae eater, angelicus botia), 5 ghost shrimp, 1 small snail.
Thanks.

paradise
04-02-2007, 04:22 PM
Kona, I did not mean like anyhthing is wrong with it. You are doing fine starting out, and it looks good. The suggestion for more plants is obvious, only if to make the tank healthier by providing more plants to suck up the nutrients for those 37 fish of yours. :)

FastJaggerSC
04-02-2007, 04:42 PM
Kona, did you go to west LA city college? I am friend with Johnny Leotis from there. Hes is a fefllow member of the preband AR-15 gun club im a part of.

scapeArtist
04-02-2007, 06:43 PM
BJ, I didn't go to WLACC but I ball there on the weekends. I think I know Johnny L from training Jiu Jits. The Johnny I know has a cousin Amaje that has a cellular phone kiosk at the Fox Hills Mall.

Paradise, thanks. I just want to know if it's okay to add more plants without adding c02. I have an aquaclear 70 filter. Sorry for the newb question.

turbomkt
04-02-2007, 06:54 PM
Kona,
It looks like the tank is a little dim. What kind of lights do you have on the tank? What wattage and color? It may just be the picture, but it looks kind of "blue".

More plants with about 90 watts of light would keep you from needing CO2 and everything stays healthy.

iunknown
04-03-2007, 07:52 AM
Looks good Kona, You could look into doing DIY Co2 with yeast to start learning about Co2. Also look on aquabid.com for floating plants that will thrive by using the Co2 in the air.

http://www.brainyday.com/jared/aquarium/info.htm

scapeArtist
04-05-2007, 10:38 AM
Kona,
It looks like the tank is a little dim. What kind of lights do you have on the tank? What wattage and color? It may just be the picture, but it looks kind of "blue".

More plants with about 90 watts of light would keep you from needing CO2 and everything stays healthy.

turbomkt, thanks for the advice. I have a 25W Aquarium Lamp made by All-Glass Aquarium. I guess the light is 33 inches. As far as color it doesn't say. The only other text it has on the bulb is Hg.

Looks like I need to bump up the wattage. What color do you recommend?

BTW, what is mkt in your name mean? Supra?

Thanks,

Kona

turbomkt
04-05-2007, 02:04 PM
Kona,
Yep...you're going to need to aim for 90watts of light or more. A single 96W compact fluorescent is ideal, or a few mid-size T5's (Something like this (http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Fluorescent/Sunlight_Supply/Tek_Light_Fixtures/36_inch__Tek_Light:_4-39W_T5_High-Output_Fixture_by_Sunlight_Supply) if there are two switches for the lights).

When it comes to color, that is what people are talking about when you see reference to Temperature, too. You want bulbs that are in the 6000K to 10000K range. What you choose is based on your personal preference.

As for the mkt...my name goes back 8 years to a business my wife and I ran.

scapeArtist
04-07-2007, 05:38 AM
Kona,
Yep...you're going to need to aim for 90watts of light or more. A single 96W compact fluorescent is ideal, or a few mid-size T5's (Something like this (http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Fluorescent/Sunlight_Supply/Tek_Light_Fixtures/36_inch__Tek_Light:_4-39W_T5_High-Output_Fixture_by_Sunlight_Supply) if there are two switches for the lights).

When it comes to color, that is what people are talking about when you see reference to Temperature, too. You want bulbs that are in the 6000K to 10000K range. What you choose is based on your personal preference.

As for the mkt...my name goes back 8 years to a business my wife and I ran.

Thanks Mike, I'm gonna head to the fish shop today. :cool:

scapeArtist
04-07-2007, 05:41 AM
Looks good Kona, You could look into doing DIY Co2 with yeast to start learning about Co2. Also look on aquabid.com for floating plants that will thrive by using the Co2 in the air.

http://www.brainyday.com/jared/aquarium/info.htm

Yo Greg, thanks player I'm gonna read up on that. I'll let you know how it works out.

Art
04-10-2007, 07:32 AM
Looks nice.

scapeArtist
07-05-2007, 09:02 PM
Hello all, it's been a while. Since I last posted almost all my plants have died. I have learned much since then and I have upgraded my lighting to 96w compact @ 7000k.

I have about 2 inches of sand like substrate/gravel. It's not flourite or anything fancy. It needs to be fertilized. I read that it would be good to put peat and Laterite underneath the gravel. Since my tank is already established it would be a little difficult to take the fish/sand out and put a bottom layer of peat/Laterite. Are there any other alternatives that you guy can share? I was thinking pellets.
TIA, KONA

sandiegoryu
07-05-2007, 09:22 PM
They have substrate root tabs. That would work. And you do NOT want to redo a tank just to add some peat/laterite. I don't even know what laterite does :-P.

scapeArtist
07-05-2007, 09:29 PM
They have substrate root tabs. That would work. And you do NOT want to redo a tank just to add some peat/laterite. I don't even know what laterite does :-P.

Thanks for the advice. Do you think that around 2 inches of substrate is enough?

sandiegoryu
07-05-2007, 09:51 PM
No, you might want to go for something around 2 inches in the front and let it gradually go to 4-5 inche sin the back. This creates the illusion of the tank being bigger and it allows for foreground plants (which have relatively shallow less complex root systems) to live happily on the 2 inch mark and other background/midground plants to make their complex, deep root systems happily in the 4 inch substrate.