PDA

View Full Version : Interesting/informative read on freshwater DSB's

xmas_one
05-01-2013, 07:40 AM
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_7/volume_7_1/dsb.html

I ran these on reef setups with good success, didn't know they worked on FW too. Seems to turn into a nitrate gobbler, which would be bad for plants, but possibly good for shrimp.
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_7/volume_7_1/dsb/01.gif

outlawboss
05-01-2013, 09:52 AM
Pretty cool concept. I can see how it would work great for salt, and like you said, shrimpies.

Neon Shrimp
05-01-2013, 10:12 AM
Very interesting and useful in our hobby.

Moving the thread to the "Useful Scaping Tools" forum.

sayurasem
05-01-2013, 01:15 PM
Thanks image saved :)

Tenor1
05-01-2013, 05:32 PM
I had a DSB plant tank for about 12 years and had problems with it and replaced the entire substrate just a few months ago. I did everything that the article recommends. What was identified as the main problem was using Seachem Onyx sand. Maybe a plenum would have helped. What I noticed was an almost uncontrollable pH rise. No amount of CO2 infusion would lower it.

My suggestion is to let people with multiple tanks experiment with it and hope for some solid published results.

xmas_one
05-01-2013, 05:46 PM
Pretty sure it was the onyx in your case Carlos. Did the DSB become problematic when you started co2? I used both the plenum (Jaubert) and straight DSB, found the results to be nearly identical in the same tank with the same reef setup. I'm curious as to how deep we would need to go with aquasoil to start to see the denitrating effect in a freshwater shrimp tank. 6"+ seems like a safe bet. Thinking of running a 20h or 26show with two sacks in it and see what happens. If I can find a place in the garage to hide it, I'll post a build thread and see what happens. What do you guys think?

Tenor1
05-01-2013, 06:38 PM
Pretty sure it was the onyx in your case Carlos. Did the DSB become problematic when you started co2? I used both the plenum (Jaubert) and straight DSB, found the results to be nearly identical in the same tank with the same reef setup. I'm curious as to how deep we would need to go with aquasoil to start to see the denitrating effect in a freshwater shrimp tank. 6"+ seems like a safe bet. Thinking of running a 20h or 26show with two sacks in it and see what happens. If I can find a place in the garage to hide it, I'll post a build thread and see what happens. What do you guys think?

The tank always had CO2, which would lower the pH. But towards the end no amount of CO2 would lower the pH. In fact, the reading was higher than our tap water. I was told Seachem recalled Onyx sand because of the problem. I can't verify if that actually occurred. I called Seachem and they would verify that it did cause the pH problem.