PDA

View Full Version : LED Lights

Engold
02-06-2012, 01:34 PM
OK

Im planning to restart my aquarium..... but this time......I really have to decrease my aquarium size. Some of you may recall my old aquarium "El Monstro" (http://www.scapeclub.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1200&highlight=monstro)..... well.... El Monstro was a lot of work and I have tow small children to watch........ so I have to decrease my tank size..... since smaller tanks require far less work than El Monstro

Im planning to to start up a 40 gallon breeder tank.... most likely I will have a Canopy and will use retrofit lights...... I'm asking for advice on what LED system will give me sufficient lighting to grow HC and nice stem plants that can tolerate 3-4 watts/gal lighting out put.

Thanks!

Tenor1
02-06-2012, 01:53 PM
I have a 36-gallon bow front and retrofitted the old canopy fixture with an Ecoxotic system and am very happy with it. It consists of 3 19-watt Panorama units plus 2 12-watt magenta strips, plus the additional reflectors. The entire cost was $500.

The setup is much brighter than the previous setup of @3-watts-per-gallon. There isn't a watts-per-gallon ratio for LED's as they use PAR value. I can just tell you it is a LOT BRIGHTER and very beautiful with the added magenta color.

powderac
02-06-2012, 02:54 PM
I have a 36-gallon bow front and retrofitted the old canopy fixture with an Ecoxotic system and am very happy with it. It consists of 3 19-watt Panorama units plus 2 12-watt magenta strips, plus the additional reflectors. The entire cost was $500.

The setup is much brighter than the previous setup of @3-watts-per-gallon. There isn't a watts-per-gallon ratio for LED's as they use PAR value. I can just tell you it is a LOT BRIGHTER and very beautiful with the added magenta color.

Any pics? Would like to see the difference when the magenta are on and off. Thinking about doing something similar for my 100g

Tenor1
02-06-2012, 03:42 PM
Hi Alex,

I'm JUST about to start a major tear down of the tank, plus I don't know how to post pictures. I'm going to try to take and post the pictures today for you, just don't mind the way the tank looks. I have to remove all the substrate, which is completely root bound.

I'll take the pictures tonight when it's dark. I think you will be able to see more of a difference with the magenta lights being on versus off.

Tenor1
02-07-2012, 01:22 PM
Alex, I created a separate thread showing the LED lights so others could view it also.

powderac
02-07-2012, 01:25 PM
much appreciated Tenor